A Brand New Day Has Passed...It's time For Peter to hit the Big Time!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Big Time trailer...pretty well done and gives you a great tease of what is to come. Reveals that Peter and Carlie Cooper are dating which I quite like, although I was hoping he'd hook up with Norah Winters which I think is a better match for him. New suits (which the Spider Office has assured are actually temporarily and won't be around and plot specific) a new Hobgoblin and a new job! I will admit that I'm actually excited about what they've got planned for Pete. Hopefully they don't do anything to screw things up or piss fans off. I like Slott's work. I also like the fact that they are using one writer again.

http://www.newsarama.com/common/media/video/player.php?aid=39145

2. Admiral_Young

Re: A Brand New Day Has Passed...It's time For Peter to hit the Big Ti

So I guess no one here reads Spider-Man on a weekly basis? Brand New Day concluded last issue and we start Big Time next!!! I'm actually quite excited (except for Peter and Carlie, I think Norah is a better match for him) about some of the things they've got planned for Peter in the coming months. Harry was revealed as the father of Lily's baby and named him Stanley and proceeded to beat the crap out of Vin who revealed a Goblin tattoo on the back of his wrist (tying into the upcoming Osborn mini-series) for threatening his family. Peter and Carlie reconcile thanks to effort from MJ. Mephisto I believe is slated to make his appearance in either the next issue or the issue after....and Pete gets new threads when he takes on the updated Hobgoblin who's identity is unknown.

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Okay.

4. Admiral_Young

If there are any mods around, lock this thread down please. No one seems interested.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

BND just killed it, the 2yr trashing of Spidey lore has me interested in very little. I do want to see the new, temporary, costume and Hobgoblin but nothing else much beyond that.

6. Admiral_Young

I would agree with that to a degree, my main problem with BND of course as I've said multiple times is with the exception of Peter's romantic life the bulk of the stories featured there could still easily take place with MJ and Peter still married. Big Time seems promising so unless they do something to really screw things up and piss people off I'm hanging around.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think it's a little unfair to judge BND because of what happened in OMD. I agree with Chris Sims's review at ComicsAlliance:

So no denying that OMD was a bad thing, but something good has emerged in its wake.

8. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I completely lost any interest I had in the storyline of ongoing Spider-Man comics after OMD/BND.

Not to be a broken record, but I just don't see what the point of it was...

Not judging the quality of BND, just saying I don't care anymore.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry Christopher I disagree with that guys commentary and anyone who says BND has produced "some of the best stories in decades".
    BND, which frankly we are still in despite no banners atop the issues, was nothing but blantant rahashed nostalgia told in less effective ways. Reimagining existing Spidey characters the first few right out of the gate, Freak/Jackpot/Negative/Screwball/another Goblin, were less interesting than their regular peers of Lizard/Black Cat/Tombstone etc.

BND, like anything that goes for awhile is bound to produce a few good things. Anti-Venom is one of those.

The art has been consistently average to horrid.

It's not just that OMD was bad it was followed up by mediocority. No amount of people calling "best stuff in decades" has fooled those that pony up $4 bucks. We stopped cause OMD & BND ARE NOT THE BEST STUFF IN DECADES for Spiderman.

10. Showdown

Showdown Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the new Hobgoblin's design, but not Spiderman's.

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I just can't care about 616-Spidey since One More Day.

I don't read Ultimate either, but I'm much more interested in that.

12. Admiral_Young

I too as I stated am not against Brand New Day and I disagree that we can't judge it based on OMD since that event was the origin and ultimately genesis of the concept. I've enjoyed some of the stories that BND has produced but to call them some of the "best" stories in years is a joke. What does that say about the previous stories? They're just trying to cover their asses meaning that these are some of the best stories without the marriage.

13. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

If they wanted Peter to be single again, they should've just put him thru a fucking divorce like real people instead of screwing with history (using the ever-near-to-dead Aunt May as the excuse and Mephisto as the shortcut).

Peter Parker should have had to deal with it instead of dealing out of it.

14. Admiral_Young

Quesada didn't want to "ruin" the character by having him go through a divorce or something like that.

15. Christopher

:confused: What "they" are you talking about? The quote I posted was not by anyone involved with the creation of BND. Chris Sims is a reviewer who posts on ComicsAlliance and other sites. He doesn't work for Marvel. And as he says in the text I quoted, he hated OMD as much as the rest of us and agrees it was an awful idea. So you're being grossly unfair to him by dismissing his opinion of BND as some kind of corporate shilling by Marvel.

16. Admiral_Young

Okay, I still disagree with his view and as Captain Craig pointed out anyone else (including Marvel editorial) who has stated or argues that the last two years have been among the best Spider-Man stories. There's been some fun stuff but I'd hardly call them classics.

17. Christopher

Well, people are entitled to disagree on their opinions. I was just using Sims' comments to illustrate that there didn't have to be any correlation between how one feels about OMD and how one might feel about BND. As far as I'm concerned, they're two entirely different things. OMD was a horrible idea horribly executed, but every long-running series has its duds, and that doesn't automatically ruin what comes afterward. And although I was highly skeptical of BND at first, I've found it to be quite fresh and entertaining and essentially untainted by the awfulness of OMD.

18. Admiral_Young

All and good, as I've said I've enjoyed BND myself but the two are entertained and BND wouldn't happen without OMD.

19. Christopher

^I guess you mean "intertwined." Yes, of course BND builds on what came before it, just as any installment in an ongoing series does. But that doesn't make it equivalent in quality or worth to what came before it.

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought OMD was one of the stupidest ideas in comics history, however I've liked BND for the most part, though I was prepared to hate it. I do agree with Sims about it not just being a total nostalgia wank, there's an energy and fun to the stories, and some pretty decent-to-good artwork for most of the books. I've also liked how they've updated the classic villains while adding some intriguing new ones like Mr. Negative and Menace.

I think BT will continue the resurgence, but I wish they had gone with another look for the new Spider-Girl. I've grown to dislike those masks with the tops cut off, its so 90s. Plus, I could easily see a villain grabbing her long hair.