So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

^ First rite of indoctrination - learn to spell her name correctly!

Done.

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^She's not a vengeful deity, but i'm sure she'd appreciate it. Make sure you let me know how you liked them :techman:

3. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I just finished No Time Like the Past -- fun stuff! Good repartee between McCoy and Spock, and I appreciated the not-too-obvious allusions to future episodes and movies, like Spock referring to the future as an undiscovered country. I don't know if Cox has written Voyager before, but the 24th century characters sounded right on.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

My first solo Trek book (after a couple of collaborations) was a Voyager novel titled The Black Shore, way back in 1997. But, yeah, that was a long time ago. I worried a bit about recapturing those voices after not writing those characters for more than fifteen years, so I binge-watched Season Six to get myself back in the Voyager groove again . . ..

5. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Black Shore is arguably the best of the early Voyager novels imo.

6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished The Mermaid's Madness by Jim Hines. I may not be the target audience but I thought it was ok.

Next up, it's The Light Fantastic by Jeffrey Lang

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks! It was indeed one of the early ones, way back in the Kes era.

Part of the appeal of writing No Time Like the Past was that I finally got a chance to write Seven of Nine, who I missed out on before.

8. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Making my way through Battlestations!. It's slow going because I just really don't like the Piper character this time around. I don't remember her being so unlikable in Dreadnaught!. Some guy calls her "Captain Piper", she doesn't like it so she tips his chair over and tells him not to call her that, instead of just saying it. Her command style seems to just yell and harass everybody. And yeah, lots of sailing, sailing jargon and talking of sailing when they aren't sailing.

On the upside I only have 2 more Carey books left to read, The Great Starship Race and and First Frontier, and I'll never have to read another book of hers again.

The main book I'm reading is Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. I'm loving it. I really like this author and the world he's created. Kind of bummed this is the last book of this series for awhile, he's starting in on a YA trilogy.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

First Frontier is a particular favorite of mine. Star Trek and dinosaurs, co-written by an actual paleontologist? How awesome is that?

Starship Race is kind of fun, but its portrayal of galactic geography is rather off. The ships would have to have quantum slipstream drive to travel as far and fast as described, and it treats the galactic stellar disk as being pretty much completely flat instead of nearly 1000 light-years thick, so that a ship can move "above" the disk in a matter of minutes rather than weeks.

10. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star trek TNG The light fantastic by Jeffrey Lang. I'm really enjoying this Data and Lal story.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Just started No Time Like the Past.

12. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I'm reading Children of the Storm by KIRSTEN Beyer. I hate liking the Hugh Cambridge character. He's like the product of a Fraiser\Dr. Phil\Howard Stern threesome in which Dr. Phil somehow gets pregnant and gives birth after a long, painful labor to Hugh Cambridge. Who is a total a-hole.

13. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

The Human Division, by John Scalzi. I am 150 pages in and I am enjoying it as much as Old Man's War.

14. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Cambridge remains my only major dislike of Kirsten's Voyager cast. He's got way more "screen time" then he should in the books. (I also wish she hadn't offed Dr. Kaz, the only interesting character that Golden added to the Voyager relaunch.)

15. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'm a big Cambridge fan (He always reminds me of tv's House). I really like the journey he took with Chakotay on the way to friendship. Reminds me of the Kirk-McCoy dynamic in some ways. I can picture the two of them camping and enjoying themselves, but with Cambridge complaining most of the time. :)

16. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Picturing him playing Chaotica in Tom and Harry's 'therapy' was pretty ridiculous, but I got a clear mental image of the scenes, which as far as I'm concerned means the scenes were well-written. And yeah, he is very House-like. Better comparison than Howard Stern.

17. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

IIRC, Kirsten Beyer actually did base the character on Hugh Laurie's portrayal of House.

18. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading The Light Fantastic, and its very good. I really enjoyed the Cold Equations Trilogy, especially the Data stuff, so I'm glad we've gotten a follow up. I also like the connections to a bunch of Star Trek episodes, which is cool.

19. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Well . . . still haven't made it through The Janus Gate, but then I'm not working on it very seriously. I read 10 Rings - My Championship Seasons by Yogi Berra. I know, I know, but I get a kick out it. Now it's Yesterday's Son . . . most excellent.

ME

20. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've started Demons of Air and Darkness, continuing my way through the DS9 relaunch.