PS4 and Xbox One Launch Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I picked up my PlayStation 4 from Walmart the other night after having a chuckle at the guy who asked the woman in electronics if they had any. When she pulled one out, I was like, "Holy shit! I'll take one too!" So, good thing I swung by electronics, because I got the last one. Picked up AC IV and have been playing it.

I really disliked the DualShock 3 controller because it felt cheap and was too light for my gigantic monster hands, which is why I preferred the 360 controller, but I really REALLY like what they did with the DualShock 4. A very comfortable controller that fits in my hands. My only complaint with the PS4 is that you have to have the system connected to the internet to view any and all trophies.

2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Is there no offline mode for trophies (the PS3 has both an online and an offline mode)?

3. Turd Ferguson

^There's no option for an offline mode. My girlfriend's profile was never connected to the internet and she can't view trophies, either.

4. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ That sucks.

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Having been PS2-->Xbox-->360 (and very happy), from everything read and seen, I think it will be PS4 next. Thanks for all the reviews, impressions etc in this thread.

6. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

The Xbox has lots of microtransactions...
    Unlocking the most expensive single car in Forza is about $50 real money?!?

http://www.t3.com/news/forza-5-microtransactions-run-as-high-at-pound-32-50

Fuck that shit...

8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah.. milk those stupid gamers as much as you can!

If Sony is out for blood all they need to say very publicly is that their games won't have such microtransactions or that their games have a very sane level of it.

It's like MS is actively trying to sabotage their own product. Hopefully they'll come to their senses in time or the customer will decide for them.. again.

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I swear, I hate this microtransactions trend. I remember when the idea was floated for supporting things like online comics. I liked that idea: monetizing free content so you can throw a few cents at someone whose work you like.

But this? "I already bought a game, now I want to spend even more money within it!" Fuck that noise.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Sadly, I think microtransactions are only going to become more prevalent in the future. :sigh:

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Only if idiots give their $$$

12. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

At what point have gamers given you the idea they'd do anything else? What with their impulse to buy £100-2500 special editions of games that add nothing to the game, and rebuying consoles because they've repainted them. Buying DLC after DLC after DLC. And paying £15 more for digital games than physical ones. All seems like gamers love being fleeced.

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

And yet prior to the XOne release they brought MS to their knees and they had to change a significant part of their console because of the shitstorm.

Concerning the new microtransactions MS is just testing the waters on how far they can go and from that i read they're barely sugarcoating it. It's up to the customer to decide how far they'll go.

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's ironic. It still caches the trophies locally until you go to sync it (or it does the daily sync, if you have PS+, and if you don't have a passcode on your account), instead of auto uploading like Xbox. I was hoping they'd fix that nonsense.

15. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

I managed to get a PS4 on launch day, thanks to a stubborn bud who got two and wouldn't take no for an answer. Poor Kmart clerk :lol:

The way I saw it is if I'm going to get on the new console bandwagon right from the start is the time. Console prices won't be coming down anytime soon. Been playing CoD Ghosts. Like the controller. Setup was easy.

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well on a positive note i can only thank T 10 and Forza 5, this microtransaction debacle has now knocked me off the XBO fence, not a chance i am spending 500 quid to have 55 quid games filled to the brim in mtransactions, so a big thank you for saving me a fortune on that system.

Now only Sony to go, if they do similar then for me the choice will be easy for the next few years, Wii-u all the way. :D

17. Turd Ferguson

I was a fan of Forza 3, 4 and Horizon but never bought the car packs. I'm appalled at the number of cars in 5 that are included and they expect the rest to be bought separately.

Same thing with Killer Instinct. Free to play, but have to buy all the other characters. No thanks. Guess I'll just stick with my PlayStation 4 and possibly get a Wii U.

18. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't mind Killer Instinct, that's a free-to-play game and they make money by selling additional characters. I'd personally prefer to buy a complete version of a game, but I can see how the F2P model makes sense to some consumers.

The problem with Forza 5 is that it's a full priced retail game that has these microtransactions on top. They're double-dipping by hoping that their customers will pay them twice to play the game. What's worse, this policy negatively impacted the game design and made it more grindy.

I don't mind microtransactions for cosmetic items. I'd never pay €2 for a virtual shirt, but if someone wants to waste their money on that sort of thing then fair enough. The problem is when games sell better weapons or upgrades, or implement F2P mechanics in retail games. That hurts the game, and when idiots buy those items it hurts the industry as a whole.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's one thing to have DLCs in the form of extra cars as that has been done both in Forza 4 and GT5, and it kind of makes sense in a way. It's when the bulk of your content is behind a paywall that I start to have concern, in a game that you've already paid for. It strikes me as desperation. And when your game has a highly competitive multiplayer community, that's when you start with the real issues, as it creates balance issues and unfair advantages as it's always very possible that they've purposely designed the new items to be so much better as to render stock items to be near useless and giving those people who do pay for new items a clear advantage.

I could just imagine if this had been introduced back in the Quake days when multiplayer fragging was all the rage, a game that introduced the idea of professional competitiveness. I think there's a chance that it wouldn't have caught on as it did, and ironically, the fact that it did have led us to this, somewhat. But come on, customers have paid for your game. Give these people a break. It is a worrying trend popping up more and more lately, and I'd hate to think this is what we can expect out of Next-Gen.

20. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Right. I don't mind buying DLC as long as I originally got a complete game. If I have to spend more money in the game to actually get access to all of its features and content, that's bullshit.

It's different if it's one of those free-to-play (read: pay-to-win) online games. Nickel-and-diming your way through those is the rule, and everybody knows it. But games you dropped $50-60 for asking for you to spend more money just to unlock what should have been included in the first place? Fuck that noise.

I've never bought a game that does that crap, and I never plan on doing so. I have a huge backlog. If all games go that direction, that's fine. I'll be playing all those games I haven't gotten around to yet.