Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 17, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

10.2%
  2. Above Average

21.6%
  3. Average

28.4%
  4. Below Average

17.0%
  5. Poor

22.7%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

AVERAGE

My time has been tight and I can't read through the opinions so sorry if I repeat some other points.

I really loved the first one. I've watched my DVD countless times. I grew up on the stuff and was prepared to be let down when TF1 came out but was pleasantly surprised. With Fallen I finally was let down. I grade it 'average' cause in the grand scope I've seen much worse. Knowing how they made the first one good this one is pale in comparison.

My gripes:
    - Where were all my Autobots? Ratchet and Ironhide were barely there. Bumblebee can't talk, come on. It was a good one off thing in the first one but he needs to talk.

- The Autobots I do get are foul mouthed assholes. Mudflap and Skids got the lions share of 'bot time and I felt like it was JarJar times two but with cursing. Hey Michael Bay parents can't take their kids to this, or they wont when word gets out. Pussy, you really had them say that. :rolleyes:

- Momma Witwicky. Nice to know her character became NOTHING but comic relief. Way over the top. Waaaay over.

- Wheelie humping Mikela's leg. Really? WTF?

- Devastator - thanks I saw the trailer. For such a BIG aspect of what could've been he not only was underutilzed and shown 98% in the trailer but was beaten rather easily. What a waste.

The good.
    - Megatron and Starscream has bickering 'cons was increased and was good.

- Primes forrest battle.

- Mikela + leather

- Liked how the army was used but this time I feel like they were crammed into the movie.

I demand I better TF:3, thats all for now.

2. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Yes, but ultimately he is a warrior, however noble. This is war, and letting Demolishor go rolling around China would have meant more humans hurt/killed and that was unacceptable. In war, you make harsh choices and killing your enemy is among them. And it's not like he just tied the guy up and blew his head off. Demolishor did a fair bit of killing and smashing himself before they caught up to him.

This is also consistent with his portrayal in the original series. Never mind the series (where few consequences of battles were ever shown) but in the 1986 movie Prime was ready to execute Megatron despite his pleas for mercy.

3. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

yeah, and there's no mountains in frigging Qatar either...and when the USAF flies to Diego Garcia, they fly westward across the Pacific and don't go near Egypt...

4. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't know anything about Middle Eastern geography, but if this is all true, then it makes this movie that much more hilarious.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing I find hilarious, is that Micaela could fly to Sam's school in a matter of minutes, and Sam and Bumblebee could drive to Petra in minutes..... yet it took seemingly FOREVER for Sam and Micaela to make their way to Prime with the magic Matrix dust at the end! lol

Just one more example of how incredibly sloppy and haphazard the plotting in this movie was. I don't mind mindless action, but there at least has to be SOME kind of internal logic underneath it all. Once a movie starts jumping around randomly for no reason, that's when I start tuning out.

7. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've just gone to Box Office Mojo and seen the worldwide gross for this movie after a little over 10 days of release.

HOLY SHIT! :drool:

$1bn anyone?

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"[Shia LeBouf] babbling like a tumor removed from Woddy Allen's prostate that somehow achieved sentience."

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Re: Grindor -- isn't it just Blackout? According to Hasbro, there is no "Grindor," it was simply a name they used to prevent the public from learning that Blackout was returning. So is Blackout in the movie or is it clearly a different robot?

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not Blackout. Grindor is a different character. Linky

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

419 million in SIX DAYS! Yowza! It's astonishing how much better this is doing than the first movie!

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Has any movie ever rated so poorly with critics and done so well with cash coming in?

18 score, let me repeat that 18 at RT, one of the worst possible ratings ever for a blockbuster movie.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_revenge_of_the_fallen/?critic=creamcrop

compare that to the first one at 68
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_the_movie/?critic=creamcrop

35 at metacritic
    http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/transformers2

Terrible terrible ratings, yet this movie could be the number one movie for 2009.

14. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

And mark my words, next weekend it drops like a rock.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

On a Monday, after opening the previous Wednesday, it made $15 million domestic.

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

At this point, it makes no difference. Everyone who goes next week could all demand their money back and the studio will still laugh all the way to the bank.

17. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

What would it matter if the public found out beforehand? It's not like any of the secondary characters have enough personality that it actually means something whether either character A or B appears in the movie. It doesn't matter one bit whether Blackout appears in the movie or another Transformer that just looks like him.

18. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

19. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Number 1 for the second week running in the UK. £4m down from £8m last week.

20. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

They had an article about ten big plot holes in this movie. There was a bunch of them but the one that sticks out to me is the fact that despite a massive Autobot/Deceptacon battle in a major American city, the government was somehow able to cover the whole thing up. Another good one is how when they exit the Smithsonian, they suddenly are in a desert area.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009