DS9: Best space battles of them all?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by USS Kongo, Mar 10, 2009.

1. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Watching the final season of DS9 on DVD, I easily saw that this series had it's fair share of space battles, thanks to the Dominion War story arc. Many of these battles were pretty spectacular and just plain cool.

Is it safe to say that DS9 had the best space battles of all the Star Trek series?

Sean

2. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Personally, I think it's a given.

Nothing can beat the Big Space Battle in Sacrifice of Angels. Nothing. Add to that the battles in Way of the Warrior, The Die is Cast, and The Changing Face of Evil, and you have a combo no one can possibly beat. Add in the new parts of What You Leave Behind....and...well....I think it's pretty much no contest.

DS9 has so many spectacular space battles that there are several that would be highlights of any other show, but are 'same ole, same ole' on DS9.

For example, Valiant. And the battle clip with the Borg in Emissary. And a few others.

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only other Trek battle which comes close is in the Enterprise episode Countdown near the end of season 3. The battles on DS9 weren't just better, they were incredibly detailed too; I'm still finding new stuff going on in the background in some of the battles.

4. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    It's been said but it must be repeated; DS9 battles are truly magnificent. From Defiant to Valiant and WYLB DS9 makes great battle scenes.

My favorite has to be watching Galors blasting apart jem'har and Breen Warships during the final Battle for Cardassia Prime:bolian:

5. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Yes, they are magnificent.

Nothing gets me in the mood to watch some DS9 like this video, which got posted in this forum a long time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCm70favfYI&feature=related

I really like the way this guy edited it, getting everyone's grim expressions in, and some of Sisko's best likes of the series: "There's an old saying..."

Avery Brooks just nailed it right there.

Sends chills down my spine to this day.

Nah...no one did the Big Space Battles like DS9. :techman:

6. kv1at3485

kv1at3485 Commodore Commodore

Only by scale. On par in terms of quality.

7. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 easily had the best space battles, I think. Not only were they far more massive than anything we'd seen before, they were also extremely detailed and engaging to watch.

What was also great was that the station AND the Defiant came off really well in battles. Both seemed quite believable in the amount of carnage they wrought :lol:.

So, yeah, no contest there. DS9 all the way.

8. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9 rules supreme when it comes to space battles. As GodBen pointed out, ENT had some good stuff in The Council and Countdown and ofcourse there was the short but cool battle in FC, but other than that DS9 stands alone.

Sacrifice of Angels has the most exciting battle, but the ones in Tears of the Prophets, The Changing Face of Evil, The Way of the Warrior, Call To Arms and the new stuff in What You Leave Behind always gets me very excited. And lets not forget the battle in Shattered Mirror, a HUGE space fight that totally took me by surprise because I didn't think they'd spend this kind of budget on an episode like that.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. Not only were they impressive, they were engaging and "charming"--something the uber-CGI stuff on Enterprise and ST09 seem to lack.

From what I've seen in the ST09 trailers, everything seems like your run of the mill cold, calculated, and sterile CG light show. Frankly, I don't see what everyone so impressed with.

10. neogothboy74

neogothboy74 Commander Red Shirt

I think DS9 easily had the best space battles of any Trek series or film up to this point. I made this fan video just after the series ended, and it mixed all kinds of Trek battles together. I was showing it to a group of friends and these were people that didn't watch DS9 - and they were blown away. They started quizzing me on where those scenes came from and what the context was and they're now huge fans of the series.

But I think one of the reasons that DS9 had such amazing space battles is that the story dictated it. Not only are they fun to watch, but they're a huge pay off emotionally. It's not just mindless action.

11. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

you might like this one as well, better music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl80TStY3ec&feature=related

12. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I want space battles, I'll watch Star Wars. Which I don't.

In DS9 these are warp-capable starships zigging and zagging at sublight speeds? -- dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge -- And none of them seems to have shields. Except Defiant, of course. Seriously, phasers just rip right through those babies, left and right. And visually, the battles are messy.

I like stories, not fx. A matter of taste, that's all. Be well.

13. CinC_UFPForces

CinC_UFPForces Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, clearly, I've missed the memo, and probably by a great measure of time - what is this new material being mentioned in relation to What You Leave Behind?

14. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

No doubt about it, DS9 had the best Trek space combat to date. Usually, space battles in Trek are very slow and expositional. (Shields down to 70%, etc) The great one between Enterprise and Reliant in TWOK aside.

When I was 14 when episodes like Way of the Warrior and Sacrifice of Angels aired, I was so blown away by the quality and scale of DS9s epic space conflicts.

15. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

That "Sacrifice of Angels" was on TV the other day and I watched it. This is one of the most epic space battles ever filmed. The ships line up just like the old armies did facing off. It reminds me of Braveheart when two strong armies run towards each other and collide, utter mayhem for quite some time. And then slowly a victor emerges form the chaos of battle.

But in space, I think this is one of the most realistic portrayals of what a real space battle would look like when you have not just a few ships, But hundreds facing off or thousands. You wouldn't last long no matter how strong your shields were with so many ship firing at you.

16. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"new material" in this case refers to space battle footage specifically created for WYLB. About 50% of the battle footage we see in the episode was recycled from Sacrifice of Angels, Tears of the Prophets and The Changing Face of Evil.