(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. oojason

oojason Commander Red Shirt

I'd prefer to see a governing body open and transparent - with representation from players, refs, fans, coaches and owners (all levels from within the game).

An organisation that clamps down on any corruption or conflict of interest - and that is truly open to input, and constructive criticism.

I don't see what the English being 'butthurt because they don't rule the game anymore' has to do with anything - this is a group made from many European clubs.

but hey-ho.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Always good drama with ENG even if we fail when it matters. Anyway the season is almost upon us so going to do my annual PL prediction...

1. Man Utd
    2. Chelsea
    3. Man City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Liverpool
    6. Tottenham
    7. Everton
    8. Stoke City
    9. Sunderland
    10. Fulham
    11. Aston Villa
    12. Bolton
    13. West Brom
    14. Norwich City
    15. Newcastle Utd
    16. Wolves
    17. Blackburn
    18. Swansea
    19. Wigan
    20. QPR

Oh and for my Forest I am saying 15th because we don't have a full squad still and looks like that won't change.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Cardiff will be in at 9th with a bullet. Swansea will stay up, of this I have no doubt. QPR and Norwich, however, are both going to drop like a stone. In QPR's case, more like a boulder. I believe I have Blackburn pencilled in to join them, though might revise that to Newcastle, who seem to be self-destructing once again.

I have my Prem table prediction written down in work. I'll post it tomorrow.

EDIT: and here it is

1 Manchester United
    2 Manchester City
    3 Chelsea
    4 Arsenal
    5 Spurs
    6 Liverpool
    7 Everton
    8 Fulham
    9 Sunderland
    10 Bolton
    11 Stoke
    12 Villa
    13 WBA
    14 Wolves
    15 Wigan
    16 Newcastle
    17 Jacks

18 Blackburn
    19 Norwich
    20 QPR (and by some distance, up to 12 points adrift)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. HappyDayRiot

Ah, football returns and what could be a better start to the season than mugging West Ham on their own patch, on live TV, and in injury-time to boot? (beating Birmingham maybe?)

Early days of course, but West Ham certainly didn't look the force that's going to walk through the division as many predicted. There's no comparison between them and the strong Newcastle side that dropped down a few years ago, and they could yet still lose some of their best players before the month is out. Cardiff, on the other hand, looked a lot more fresh and resilient than we've been in a while. Gerrard has slotted back in well, and Cowie, Taylor and Gesetede look very good acquisitions. Even Marshall, back between the sticks after a year out, had a superb game. Miller and Earnshaw can't play together, though - we still need another senior striker to pair up with one of them. Jury's still out on Gunnarsson, who managed to throw two throw-ins straight out of play, and Conway who was anonymous.

I also watched AFC Wimbledon's first game in the League. I know they're risen a long way in a short time, but it was like parks football!

ps boring boring Forest ;)

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah beating Birmingham was good ;) That said we've won the opening game of the season three years running now and haven't set the league on fire!

Will have to sort out my PL predictions!

6. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

So glad the season is back, and Saints actually managed to win an opening game!! Shock horror! And we played some good football as well!

Also, just seen that Chamberlain has gone to Arsenal. It was always likely and it's a shame that he couldn't stay for the rest of this season but I suppose when these opportunities come along you have to take them. I don't begrudge him for leaving, I'm just wondering why Arsenal are buying him now, it doesn't seem like they're in desperate need for a winger.

I'm just glad no-one's been sniffing around Lallana.

7. HappyDayRiot

I forgot about Southampton - they destroyed Leeds. All three goals really well taken and made a mockery of their new league status. Hopefully, a sign of times to come for both sides.

8. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

It's funny that Bayern lost their first match yesterday, and because of a mistake of Neurer no less, very amusing. Also Dortmund looks very, very strong. It will be interesting to see how this still quite young team can cope with the stress of the Champions League and whether or not that will affect their performance in the league, but judging by what I see last weekend, all other German teams that aim at winning the title should be a bit concerned imo.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't care what anyone says about West Ham and Leicester, I think this year will be as open as last year, and I guarentee a surprise team goes up (hopefully Derby:lol: )

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ENG vs. Holland + all London football games this weekend are set to be cancelled due to police having no officers to spare.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I wonder if Forest vs. County will go ahead tonight?

12. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I watched the Dortmund game on Friday and it was really lovely. I vastly prefer Dortmund's game to Barcelona's. Barcelona is lulling you in and making you fall asleep. No emotion in their game. Just endless passing in midfield and then finally some attack.

Dortmund on the other hand is fast-paced combination football that's more vertical than horizontal. Even their defenders don't make horizontal passes. Mats Hummels didn't pass the ball to one of the other defenders all night. It was always straight into midfield or even further forward. His passing and vision is amazing for a defender.
    And Götze/Kagawa/Gündogan/Großkreutz up front are a joy to watch.

Guardiola and Mourinho should be envious. I wonder if they liked it... ok... I admit I only mentioned Mourinho to post this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

These rioters need a good fucking kicking now though I guess the football media can switch to this stupid fucking pissing match with the football league/Premier league who are banning reporters from games.

It all comes down to the leagues wanting to restrict the use of live interaction with fans, twitter etc, WHY? who knows really there just being dicks and the newspapers said they won't abide by the rules. Henry Winter of the Telegraph was told last saturday he could not go to the forest match but went anyway in the normal stands insead of the press box. However he now been banned 100% from the stadium because the football league has told Forest and every other club they cannot allow entry of any paper reporter even if they don't go in the press box.

FA grow a pair and overrule the leagues will ya ?

14. HappyDayRiot

Completely agree about Barcelona, and I'm looking forward to seeing Dortmund in the Champions League this season (and Napoli too, come to think of it). Great to see some fresh faces in there... except for Man City. I've had a soft spot for Dortmund since I went there for a long weekend back in 2004 - not sure they were any good back then though!

Bet Derby are wishing they'd had a riot or two to avoid this embarrassment - 0-3 to Shrewsbury at half time. Comical.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just watched Forest/County online and we scored in last minute of extra time to take the game to a shootout and came within 1 pen of losing but...

in the end we won 4-3 after 6 pens :lol:

HURRAY ;)

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah well we restored a bit of pride in the second half at least, and we weren't alone in getting knocked out.

We're concentrating on the league this season anyway ;)

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well for what it's worth here are my predictions. I actually had QPR going down at first but I really do think Wigan and Blackburn are doomed, and given how easily Derby outplayed Swansea I fear they'll be swamped. And this is, unfortunately, the year Arsenal really start to slide.

1 Man Utd
    2 Man City
    3 Liverpool
    4 Chelsea
    5 Tottenham
    6 Arsenal
    7 Sunderland
    8 Everton
    9 Aston Villa
    10 Bolton
    11 Stoke
    12 West Brom
    13 Newcastle
    14 Fulham
    15 Wolves
    16 Norwich
    17 QPR
    18 Wigan
    19 Blackburn
    20 Swansea

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

LOL { Emilia } :D Agreed on the Dortmund game. Grudgingly, but I have to agree.

@Roger Wilco
    I really feel for Manuel Neuer, and not just because I'm a Bayern supporter. He's a great guy and a great keeper as well.

He had a very hard time (and will continue to have one for quite some time) winning over those Bayern supporters who opposed his transfer. Messing up uncharacteristically in the first game will make things harder.

I'm convinced he will succeed at Bayern in the long term though.

19. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Fabby has left Arsenal for a team that doesn't even really need him, Barcelona.

With it looking like Nasri will go as well and Wenger's penchant for bringing in young, inexperienced, nubile and pretty teenage boys, looks like the best Arsenal can hope for is around 7th or 8th.

What a great day this has turned out to be!

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well Wenger might now sign a 35 year old keeper, Joey Barton and two hard British central defenders...

Or possibly three 15 year olds from Belgium...