Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Stop using so many examples. Nobody likes a showoff.

2. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

He's said it more than once over a span of several years and it is part of his general shtick about how he is an outsider and was a Star Wars fan as a kid (his quality assurance that as an "outsider" he will not ruin it by going Trekkie on the wide audience). It's not that big a deal, but it would be nice not to read these words again when trying to get the inside scoop on nu-Trek.

Legally obligated? No. But it would be nice to be more rhetorically sensitive to the entire fan base.

What??? He didn't say it for the benefit of Trek fans, but prospective new fans.

Why would Trek fans "need" to hear this? Why wouldn't Star Wars fans?

What a strangely punitive attitude.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

He never turned anything into anything else.

$20 says he does.

OMG! OMG! OMG! Where's the panic button!!!!!???

Why do people continuously act like this was some freakishly abnormal hiatus?

In any case, I don't see why a guy as talented as Abrams should be limited to one project at a time.

More with the panic button?

For on thing, it's a pretty safe bet STIII has already been written. Even if it hasn't, there is zero indication Kurtzman and Orci are involved with Star Wars. In fact, I bet if it were up to Orci, he'd just assume stay with Trek.

It needed to be said, and he said it.

The fact that he hurt your feelings is irrelevant.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, yeah. That doesn't mean deciding to spend 150 million dollars on a movie in a given year just because it's a birthday/anniversary what-have-you, when other business decisions make more sense.

You're selling something to a dedicated fan base you can leverage an anniversary - you're selling it to a big audience with no sentimental attachment to it, as is necessary for films as expensive as the new Trek movies, that kind of thing means a lot less.

Damn straight - not just irrelevant, but a good thing. Need to break a few eggs.

5. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

As I said, this year, Doctor Who is getting a lot of mileage out of its "50th!!!!" celebration. You think that's just for the hardcore fanatics?? To the general public, "anniversary," especially something like the 50th, is synonymous with "special." For the casual viewer who vaguely remembers TNG on syndication and distinctly remembers enjoying the '09 film, a Trek film promoted as one for the "50th anniversary" says, "They're planning something special, I should probably see what's up," even if they have no sentimental attachment.

Can you go through one post without insulting other fans?

6. Admiral Buzzkill

You messed up your quote tags, dude - if you're going to nit me for being "insulting," at least get my handle right.

7. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Hmm? If it is a "good thing" then it is indeed relevant. That is, fan feelings are relevant; these feelings needed to be hurt, and JJ was the guy to do it.

At any rate, why do you think fan feelings needed to be hurt? :confused:

8. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

9. Nagisa Furukawa

Sorry, was paring down the quotes within quotes and got mixed up. Fixed. :cool:

A good deal of his posts have some sort of anti-fandom snark to it like "I'm a fan of Star Trek, I could take or leave Star Trek fandom ;) " or something like that. You get used to it.

10. CorporalClegg

Awesome. :techman:

Can you blame him? The fandom can be exasperating at times.

11. Nagisa Furukawa

It's the personal attack aspect. I don't particularly like JJ Abrams' work but I have no issues with him as a human being or person. I have an issue with the work of art he contributed towards and I have no problems or issues with anyone who expresses any opinion about a fictional work. I do have a problem with people attacking others, whether it be anti-Trek '09 people bashing Abrams personally or pro-Trek '09 people saying it's needed for other people to have their feelings hurt.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. Nobody I know was offended, and I like to think that most of us are not so prickly and/or insecure that the studios have to worry about bruising our delicate little feelings by not sucking up to us enough.

As long as the movie is good, I don't care if I'm being properly "respected" or not. All that matters is the final product.

And I suspect that most moviegoers feel the same way.

13. Ryan8bit

Star Trek needed that to be said since there was a low point. Star Wars never had a low point, it doesn't need to be said. It was already made for a lot of people.

Of course, there might need to be some statements regarding the prequels. :p

14. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Not because anybody asked, and just to be an outlier, I saw "Star Wars" in the theater when it first came out. I only saw it once. It did nothing for me. I've still only seen it once, and it's the only "Star Wars" movie out of all of them that I've ever seen in any format. By contrast, the only Trek movie I've missed is "Nemesis".

Then again, I'm not much of a sci-fi fan outside of Trek, which probably makes me an ever bigger outlier. I have heard enough, however, to know that "Star Wars" is very popular. ;)

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

JJ holds Star Trek in one palm and Star Wars in the other.

So while he directs Star Wars we need Speilberg or someone to come in and direct Star Trek 3 :techman:

So can those that constantly respond to fandom's exasperation.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm sorry, who the hell gets their feelings hurt by some director they've never met saying something in the press about a movie he's making?

Making clear that the movie is aimed at entertaining as many people as possible is part of getting the necessary message out there to the people who need to be attracted to it.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

What can I say? I'm long-winded. :)

One more example. Ron Moore did DS9. Ron Moore did BSG. Did anybody have an issue with that?

Bottom line: a guy who directed a couple of movies in a popular sf series is going to direct a movie in another popular sf series.

I fail to see the problem.

18. CorporalClegg

It was said because Star Trek fans exhibit an unusual level of entitlement, and Abrams was demonstrating he had no obligation to pander to them. It was a political thing to say.

However, some seem to have mistaken it as some kind of affront and think that he was out to get them, which is, of course, somewhat ironic.

19. Ryan8bit

Star Wars fans are just the same if not worse. I mean, at least most Star Trek fans were happy with the latest Trek movie.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

What's amazing is that people are still butthurt over things said by a stranger to reporters four years ago.

Well, we got a better movie last time out than the Star Wars people did. :p