The Valiant never seen....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In the arts forum aridas sophia launched a thread discussing what the Valiant referenced in WNMHGB could have looked like. He essentially sidestepped the design that appeared in the Star Trek Chronology and Encyclopedia to encourage discussion about alternate takes to the design. I couldn't help but put my two cents in and worked something up of a basic concept taking into account references from TOS and the sole two visual references we have of that period the DY-100 seen in "Space Seed" and the ringship seen in TMP) that bracket the era of the Valiant (basically the mid to latter half of the 21st century.

My approach was to basically ignore references after that that tended to try reflecting our reality into Trek's and more particularly TOS. And so my design is meant to look somewhat more advanced than anything we could hope to launch within fifty years or so just as the DY-100 design was far more advanced than anything we could have dreamed about in the 1990s.

Several years ago (and long before TOS-R) I ran a thread here in the TOS forum called Never seen TOS scenes depicting images of events, things, people and whatever not seen in TOS for some reason or other. I also included alternate versions of things we did see. So in that spirit I offer up some images depicting the saga of the lost Earth ship S.S. Valiant...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned...

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

That's your work, Warped9?

I really like it. And UESS is a nice touch too.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yep. I designed and built the 3D model. The U.E.S.S. is an acknowledgement to the S.S. Valiant reference in WNMHGB.

[​IMG]

4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love this. :bolian:

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

While building this I often found myself humming the music from WNMHGB. :) I also kept thinking about what a novel about the Valiant could be like. Something more than just the destruction of the ship. Some of the ship's service life before she got thrown to the galaxy's edge as well as the subsequent events. I've had characters' discussions running through my head.

6. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

Really nice!

If that's our galaxy in the 6th picture, just how far did Valiant get thrown?

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The dialog in WNMHGB references the Valiant being thrown a half light year out of the galaxy before she headed back "in this direction" and encountered "an unknown force." I got the idea of showing M31 the Andomeda galaxy in the distance from "By Any Other Name." In actuality you should be able to see other galaxies in the distance and other stars above and below the energy barrier, but I wanted to recreate the look of the shots from WNMHGB and "By Any Other Name". Indeed the energy barrier is a shot from TOS but with Enterprise photoshopped out. The Andromeda shot is from the Astronomy Picture Of The Day website and the galaxy shrunken into the corner of a pure black background. Indeed the ship and the black background were taken right out of my rendering program.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Anyone interested in how this design came about can go here.

9. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

OK. I get it. I thought that you'd have to be pretty far away for a galaxy to appear that small.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

And people think you need professionals with lots of credentials to do Star Trek instead of just people with superior ability and aesthetics. It looks likes a design I have for a new Enterprise or what I'm calling the I.S.F. Ganymede in my screenplay version of a new beginning origin story for Trek. Nice job.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A "professional" gets paid.

13. xortex

And doesn't do anything nearly as well. That's the difference. To me, that's all the difference.

14. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

After all the cynical, sarcastic posts of xortex's that I've read I finally find myself wholeheartedly agreeing with his sincerity. ;)

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well a pro also has deadlines. That can affect the end result. A pro is also recognized because of a body of work and to deliver results within a projected and agreed upon time frame.

16. xortex

It doesn't matter. Vision and the love for it, especially the details, is either in you or it isn't. I've always hated you, Josan. Only kidding.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Which really doesn't soley define a professional.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent speculation all around!

The nose of main body sort of takes on the look of the rockets in Universal's Flash Gordon serials, but I can see this predating the WNMHGB Enterprise in the time noted.

Great work!

20. MrArcas

MrArcas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wow, this is a pretty cool design. "Fresh"! I'm usually supportive of most things that get away from the usual "saucer and nacelle mix-n-match". It evokes that Jeffries ring ship that Trek later adopted as history.

My only beef would be the pointed "rocket nose". I assume this doesn't do any atmospheric transits.... or does it?