Time for a DS9 movie...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by dub, Feb 12, 2013.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wish, but it will never happen.

3. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know would be great about a Deep Space 9 movie? (everything!)

The fact that it would be the opposite of these new "Star Trek" films. The new "Star Trek" films are written not for Star Trek fans, but for general movie going audiences. They have no substance, and are just lights and colors with zero character, development, or even science fiction.

A Deep Space 9 movie could be a real Star Trek fans movie: science fiction, political and social thought, character development, all the things that made DS9 the red-haired child of the franchise.

My idea would be to do the one thing they forgot to complete in the series: Bajor joining the Federation. I'd love that as a premise for a DS9 big screen adventure. Remember "The Circle" 3-parter that opened season 2? That trilogy was better than all the reboot movie and all the TNG films combined.

4. DavidLeeRoth

DavidLeeRoth Lieutenant Red Shirt

I hope that they don't make one.

"What You Leave Behind" was perfect, IMHO. It tied up all the loose ends and left enough unanswered to leave it up to the viewer to decide.

Having Sisko return to DS9, Dukat being freed from the Fire Caves, Odo and Kira reuniting, etc., would just be anti-climatic.

A total CGI, with the actors coming back to voice their characters might be cool though, if it was set before WYLB, IMO.

5. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The time for a movie was within a few years after the end of the show. Too much time has past, the actors have all moved on in life and so has Trek.

6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

How many plot devices would we need to bring the crew back together after all these years and after all that has happened? I'd like to see a movie or maybe tv show with a combined crew ... some DS9, some Voyager, some new characters. DS9 (the station) would be a perfect setting, of course.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Er, no.

DS9 ended fourteen years ago. The sets, props, costumes, etc. are long gone. Nobody cares about DS9 any more (and I say that as someone who thinks DS9 was the best Trek show ever made.)

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I've got a buddy who never watched Star Trek once until a couple years ago.

Liked TNG. LOVED DS9.

It's true most people don't care about 2nd-age Trek anymore, but those that do would all universally love a DS9 movie. Heck, I bet if it were possible to get the actors and one or two of the original writers, I'd personally run a Kickstarter to fund it and I bet it'd succeed.

All the same people who will watch Star Trek: Renegades would donate.

I wouldn't like to see a return of Dukat though, I'd like to see a focus on some kind of post-war Dominion relations.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately CBS would never produce a DS9 TV movie for the relatively few people (ratings-wise speaking) that would want to see it.

You mean a kickstarter for a fan-produced DS9 movie, right? Because CBS doesn't need a kickstarter to produce a Trek series or movie.

The other problem is that maybe one or two of the original cast may be interested in doing this. Not everyone. I'm not picking on you personally, but a lot of Trek fans seem to be under the mistaken impression that all these actors are just sitting around waiting to return to the Trek series they starred in twenty years ago. They aren't.

10. DavidLeeRoth

If they go ahead with that "Captain Worf" show, they could always have guest actors from both TNG and DS9.

I'd love to see an episode in which Weyoun 9 shows up, after the clone chamber is again active, and tries to free the Female Changeling from imprisonment.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 wasn't written for Star Trek fans, but for general television audiences. But many Trekkies embraced it, just like they have the new movie.
    Really? I thought "The Circle" trilogy was DS9 at it's dullest. I imagine a DS9 movie would have been more along the lines of "The Way of the Warrior"

12. DavidLeeRoth

I thought that the last nine episodes of DS9 was Trek at its best.

I'm new to DS9 (bought the series back in 2011) and was up all night and into the morning watching the end of series seven. It was like lobster and steak for the mind and imagination.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

You mean all the things that were there in every other Trek series? :rolleyes:

No offense, but a DS9 movie would end up looking much like Star Trek 2009. With Samuel Jackson as Sisko and Kate Beckinsale as Kira.

I love when the REAL Star Trek fans come out and bash those with different tastes. IDIC and all that.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I can totally see that. The finale was awesome and why mess that up with a movie? I know it's never going to happen regardless, but if they were going to bring back the cast for some sort of follow-up I would be lying if I were to say I wouldn't be excited! But yeah, I know it's not going to happen. Mostly I thought this dialogue was great (and I realize it was from 1994, but sorry I'm late to the game and I just found it on youtube):

Larry King: "When are you going to do a Deep Space Nine movie?"
    Rick Berman: "A few years down the line."
    Larry King: "These people deserve a movie, Rick!" ​

What?? Wow, Larry King! I was surprised he asked that question. Sounds like Rick was, too. And I think the actors were also surprised and amused! Unless one of the actors whispered that question in his ear during the commercial break! :lol:

15. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Ouch! :guffaw:

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Sisko: Get these mother fuckin' Jem'Hadar off muh mother fuckin' starship!

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Huh, I didn't think you were picking on me personally until you said you weren't picking on me personally. :)

Of course they're not sitting around waiting, but I bet those of them who don't have contractual obligations wouldn't say no so long as the offer is the amount they can currently get for a role.

They wouldn't just say "Appear in DS9? POPPYCOCK!" It'd be a contract to negotiate like any other.

And of course it'd never happen. But it would make a whole lot of us happy to see new Trek content designed like TNG/DS9 instead of nuTrek. That's why Star Trek: Renegades exists.

18. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I don't think a DS9 movie would work anymore.
    But what about a DS9 game with the voice's of the actors.
    A game like Klingon Academy or something like Knights of the old Republic?

19. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A dumb popcorn movie for the masses would reduce the series. A more frequent release schedule for DS9 Relaunch novels would be more likely and more preferable.