Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by C.E. Evans, May 1, 2009.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Okay, maybe it won't actually become the G.I. Joe/Transformers Channel, but Discovery Communications and Hasbro have announced their plans to transform (no pun intended) the Discovery Kids Channel into a new network that showcases the best of both companies. So alongside existing Discovery Kids shows like Bindi The Jungle Girl, Turenstein, and Endurance, will be shows based on Hasbro properties such as G.I. Joe, Transformers, and My Little Pony.
    http://www.hasbro.com/corporate/media/press-releases/hasbro-discovery-joint-venture.cfm

2. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was joking about this with some co-workers today. I think it would be fun (read: awesome but completely inappropriate) to create animated versions of Discovery's programs to put on the new kids network. Animated Deadliest Catch? Fisherman against giant mutant crabs? Imagine the possibilities! And imagine selling action figures and toy boats! I dunno why, but the idea just amused me.

3. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Oh yes, great idea.:rolleyes:

If the various watchdog organizations weren't bitching about children's TV before, they'll be doing so now. Not to mention or forget the antiwar movement and the bloggers.

Really smart idea, guys.:rolleyes:

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wonder if this means Transformers Animated will switch networks.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Anything is possible, but I think it will only be as repeats.

According to the press release from Hasbro, they seem to be headed for yet another new Transformers series--Transformers: [INSERT KEWL NEW SUBTITLE HERE]...

6. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Well if toy companies are going to sell there stuff they have to brain-wash the kids early!

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, I hope it's in the TF:A continuity and from the same creators. Aside from the Beast duology, TF:A is the only Transformers show I've ever gotten into.

8. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me too. Well, I like G1, because I liked it when I was a kid and the characters are iconic, but I know it's not a genuinely good show, which Animated really is.

I think the Movie toys are selling a lot better than the Animated ones though, so I wouldn't hold your breath - and this season is over in three weeks, with a two-parter entitled "Endgame".

Then again, Hasbro must have been paying attention to the positive reactions that Animated has garnered, so they might go with the same creative team, even if the show is in a different continuity.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they should make an animated show based on the movie toys and original toys not seen in the movie(s).

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

“This joint venture reinforces Discovery’s strategy to develop strong brands, maximize the potential of our extensive distribution in the U.S. and work with the highest quality content partners to create long-term value,” said David Zaslav, President and CEO of Discovery Communications. “Brian Goldner and the dynamic management team at Hasbro have a long track record of developing well-respected quality brands that entertain and encourage creative play. The combined assets of both partners provide a compelling platform for building a trusted children’s destination that engages and enlightens a thirsty and growing audience.”

All I know is I'd like to punch anyone who actually talks like this really, really hard.

11. Bishbot

That'd make sense from a business standpoint but I really hope they don't go this way. The movies are fun (well, I assume the second one will be), but the only thing they add to the Transformers experience is seeing the action in widescreen live-action - that's a great thing, but it can't be replicated in a saturday morning cartoon, so I'd much rather they play to their strengths and come up with something like Animated, or Beast Wars - something character and mythology based.

12. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As an employee, I can tell you that all of Discovery's press releases and announcements sound like this.

13. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Like I predicted, here's the reaction of a watchdog group:

Watchdog group's reaction to Discovery/Hasbro deal

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  14. Bishbot

Idiots. It's not the 80's anymore. I admit I can't speak for whichever other cartoons are going to be on it, but TF:A is a lot more than a glorified toy commercial. In fact, these days, if you want toys based on a lot of the characters in it you'll be out of luck. Hasbro has no plans to release a lot of characters you'd think would be obvious locks, like The Constructicons.

15. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

NO!!!! Rodimus Prime comes back from the future with Batmobile armor for Optimus?! NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
    And I, I would really like to see you do this punching, Cutter John. :techman: