Going Veggie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

or... "Give in to deliciousness, the Pretzel Wagon way!"

[This thread started by recommendation of teacake. :D ]

After seeing my blood glucose numbers consistently pushing 240+ on a daily basis, even with medication, and my blood pressure climbing into the 180s, even with medication, I finally had to draw the line. I'd tried vitamins, different medicines and medicine schedules, exercises, meditation, and fasting, and my numbers were still too high.

So I did something I had once tried years ago (for a year), I went vegetarian.

"John", you might say, "why would you do that? I mean, not to question your life choice or look like a complete jerk raining judgment down upon you like the fish of an angry god, but why not just eat lean meats?" to which I reply, "because I was always predisposed to enjoying veggies more than meat, I don't really eat much meat, and the more vegetables I eat, the healthier I will be, you silly goose."

And 3 days in, it already seems to be paying off. My blood glucose numbers, which were hovering above the 240s before I made the switch, have been running around 200. I can only hope the trend continues downward. My blood pressure was 139/84 yesterday, so it looks like I'm seeing progress there as well.

What I find so far is that I don't feel that I've lost anything by making this change. My meals are filling, and delicious, I have more energy now than I did even 3 days ago. Physically speaking, I feel better. There's no meat in my diet, but I don't miss it. Yesterday I had a salad with Romaine lettuce, dark kidney beans, and diced tomatoes. I added a little parmesan cheese (no salt), a dash of olive oil, and let it sit in the fridge for two hours. I wanted to eat the whole bowl, it was so good, but I spaced it out over 2 meals, and had an apple in between.

I'm not hungry, my blood sugar is slowly moving toward normal numbers, as well as my blood pressure, and I can only hope that from here, things continue to improve.

So for me, going veggie was for health reasons, though I have to admit that I often thought about the animal that was now on my plate, and I'd feel a twinge of guilt. Yes, we're omnivores, yes, circle of life, and all of that, but it still bothered me, so by not eating meat, I have started on my way to accomplishing two goals:

1) To being healthy, and less dependent upon medication, and preventing the need for future medications.
    2) To easing my own convictions about what I eat and what's involved in getting that food to my plate.

If you want to share why you've gone Vegetarian, why you're considering it, or why you don't feel you can, or if you want to share some recipes or ask questions, drop a line in this thread. :D

2. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Congratulations and good luck! You'll soon reap the benefits of a healthier lifestyle!

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'll probably never go total veg, but eat meat less and less. Not for any particular ethical or health reason. Just don't feel like it. Like making things like greek salad, couscous and tabbouleh. Couscous must be the best fast food ever. Five minutes and done.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I really like meat. I think I could only do without it if I ate a lot of Indian food. I just love savory flavors and that's the thing I'd miss the most about meat.

For those of you here who are vegetarians or vegans, as long as it works for you, more power to you. :techman:

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know I could never go vegetarian or vegan. I just like eating meat too much. It's not a philosophical/moral issue that I can see; it's just that I eat meat, I enjoy it, I believe it's safe to do so (I have no health issues that would make it unsafe), and I leave it at that.

Now I also love eating vegetables, of course. :)

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the flow on benefits from going veg will be a change in taste which will lead to less over fatty processed foods. That salad you describe is perfect IMO, you let the natural juices and flavors develop.

I'm not veg but grew up in a health food family (didn't have white bread until I was at least 15). My mom was a poor, single parent hippy type and we existed on lentils, millet, tofu and miso and brown rice and vegies. There's a certain style of Veg food (moosewood era, if anyone knows that) that while I will eat it brings back too many mom and hostel days memories for me. Like Robert Maxwell says I love savory flavors and years of eating mostly asian has meant I don't do the blandness of a lot of traditionally vegetarian meals. And there's no reason for it either.

J. if you like red onion a small amount can really zip up anything. You don't need much and they last for a long time in the fridge. I love it but it's one food that gives me a headache oddly, still it's a great way to zip up a meal.

Are you following a Low G.I. diet for the most part?

7. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

That's awesome J! I can't do pure veg because I like beef too much, but I keep cutting back here and there. And yes the only time I really don't miss meat is when I'm in India because there is still so much flavor. I can only do that for like a month, tops, though.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Like J., I turned vegan a few years ago for various health reasons. I've never regretted my decision.

I admit it was a very difficult change. I too thought I liked meat way too much. Buffalo wings were my vice. I experience cravings for months, and really had to resist temptation. Then there was the period of detoxing that just made the whole experience worse.

However, a month or two passed, the cravings went away and I started feeling better than I ever had since high school. I had endless amounts of energy and the daily aches and pains a felt went away. I also lost about 40 pounds (and kept it off) without making any other changes to my lifestyle.

The hard part is finding stuff you like. It's easy to get into a rut of just eating the same things over and over again, and that's not very healthy either. One piece of advice I would give people who are thinking about it is find some recipes and try some things before you fully commit.

For example, I finally found a supplement to my buffalo fix. I take some of that Earth Balance spread and melt it in a small sauce pot. I add some garlic cloves, celery seed, finally chopped onion and cayenne pepper, some lime juice and let it simmer for awhile. Then I pour it into a zip bag with two whole portabellas and let them marinade over night.

I grill them up the next day and lay them on a toasted whole wheat kaiser bun with some tomato, red onion, romaine lettuce, and a spread I make by mashing up some avocados and mixing them with veganaise. It's delicious. I make it for myself every now and then and totally don't miss the buffalo wings.

Another word of warning is, like a traditional omnivorous diet, one still needs balance. Things like beans and other lentils, nuts, and whole grains are still important, as is a mix of fruits and vegetables. Fruit, for example, is very healthful on its own, but if you don't balance it out with other stuff, it will cause problems.

Also, it's important not to undertake something like this half-hearted. Removing meat (or animal products) can have an adverse effect on your body chemistry. The longer you go, the more true this is.

There are various anecdotes of people who went years without eating meat and then feasted during a holiday or whatever only to end up very sick--even in the hospital.

But as long as you do it right, it's a life style change I would recommend to anyone.

I would also suggest to those who might be thinking about it (or even those who aren't) to watch Forks Over Knives. It's available on Netfix, Amazon Instant, and iTunes. It provides a wealth of information.

9. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's me. I recognize how meat is still an important part of being human. True, you can get by without it, but if you've been raised as an omnivore your body is well accustomed to (and benefits from) the intake of meat. The trouble that most people get into is eating too much of it, and often heavily fat saturated kinds. While I don't condone the Neanderthal diet (they did die out, afterall!), raw vegetables are very good for you but so is cooked meat on occasion.

But if health reasons necessitate eliminating meat, so be it--health is what is most important. However, if you can still be permitted to eat fish, pork, and chicken, I'd try not to eliminate those. Just eat sparingly. I find that when I do, I enjoy them all the more when I do eat them. :)

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks, Kim! I hope so! :D

I love hummus, myself. A few pieces of whole grain pita, and some garlic hummus, and I am in heaven. :adore:

I'm probably going to figure out how to curry some veggies. I love the taste of curry, and that would add a real punch to some of the dishes I'm learning to make.

As long as you're happy and healthy, I say more power to you! :)

Also, as a fellow baseball fan, I understand the necessity of having the occasional hot dog at the ballpark.

I'm pretty much following the G.I. diet, yes. For me, it's the safest way to go. I informed my doctor about what I'm doing, and he mentioned his love of steak and fish, but said that if I wanted some information, he had a couple of Glycemic Index booklets to give to me. Then he reiterated his enjoyment of steak and wished me luck. :lol:

When I was growing up, we had the "country cooking" diet, save that my mom used vegetable oil instead of lard. Otherwise, it was mostly heavy foods like pork chops, mashed potatoes, meatloaf, greasy salad, pot roast, lasagna, and so on.

Thanks, Kestra! :D
    One of the nice things about having to learn these recipes is that I get to experiment with spices that I've never tried before, and I'm learning to like some veggies I once hated *cough*mushrooms*cough*.

As I said earlier in my post, I'm hoping to learn some good veggie curry dishes, as I like hot, spicy food.

Ooh, I like the buffalo mushrooms idea. That might get me to actually enjoy mushrooms. I've been told for a vegetarian, mushrooms are as close to "meat" as it gets. There are things I'll have to learn, but I want to learn them, and what's nice is that this way I'm saving money. I've bought $8 worth of veggies and spices over the past two days (the spices being the most expensive part), and I haven't gone hungry once. My food is costing less than half of what it costs me to feed every other member of the family.

Well, as I said in my initial post, meat was a take it or leave it kind of thing. I ate it because it was there, and because it was cheap, but now that I'm finding ways to save money while eating much healthier, I feel like I don't have to oblige the food budget by eating meat.

Still, like I said, if you can eat meat, and be healthy, and you're happy, I say more power to you! :D

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I enjoy a wide variety of meats but at the same time the wife and I often have meatless meals. Just depends what we feel like preparing. Good luck to you in your veggie endeavour.

12. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I know i won't going completely vegetarian (and my husband would probably leave me if I did!) but I definitely want to increase the amount of vegetables in my (our) diet.

I am really inspired by the ideas everyone has been suggesting. Can anyone share some good sites for flavourful veggie recipes with me?

13. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Thanks for the thread, J. - I'm always meaning to try new vegetarian recipes (I have two picky eaters in my kids - and me too :alienblush:, and young master trampledamage hates the texture of meat so I figure I've got a better chance with veggies!) but I get lazy and forget to look for some.

I've just found a recipe for spinach and ricotta lasagna for the slow cooker that I'm going to try :techman:

Shanndee - my go to recipe site is www.allrecipes.com and they have a vegetarian section, but most often I just google what I'm looking for and see what turns up :)

14. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I went veggie 20 years ago when I was still a teenager. Hated meat all my life, so it wasn't any sort of sacrifice for me, more of a liberation ;)

Enjoy discovering new flavours and dishes, J.. Internet and book stores are full of great veggie recipes :) When I'm back home, I'll find some links I have bookmarked and share some of the recipes :)

15. teacake

If you want to try curries J. a slow cooker is great. You just put anything you have in there, it's hard to go wrong.

16. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Is a slow cooker the same thing as a crock pot?

When I was a kid there was a year when our stove broke and my mom couldn't afford to fix it, so every hot meal we had was in from a crock pot!

I make a bitchin' vegetarian chili, if you want the recipe for that, J. It's easy to make, easy to modify, cost-effective, super nutritious, extra-diabetes friendly, and delicious!

17. teacake

Currently eating: Black beans, jalapenos, cheese, random corn, habanero sauce on corn tortillas.

[​IMG]

I've got a pot of beans in the fridge at all times, pinto or black bean (turtle). The black beans take a lot more prep time but last longer.

(Yeah they have de-dorked the image crock pots had by renaming them slow cookers tsq.)

18. thestrangequark

Crock pots were dorky? :(

That looks delish, btw.

19. teacake

Apparently they had some kind of 70's happy housewife thing going on. But without the martini at the end of the day.

20. thestrangequark

Without the martini, what's the point? sigh