Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Komack, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Komack

Komack Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

As some of you know, the kids and I are spending the summer watching all the TOS re-mastered episodes on Netflixs. This is the first time that the kids have watched the episodes, and it's the first time in 25 years that I've re-watched many of the episodes. Here are a few things that have struck me:

(1) The lighting choices made in many of the episodes are wonderful - I didn't realize how vibrant the sets looked until I watched the re-mastered episodes.

(2) Compared to the "big three" of the television show (Kirk, Spock, McCoy), the big four of the movies (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura) just doesn't work for me.

(3) Zachery Quinto does a nice job as Spock, but he can't hold a candle to Leonard Nimoy. Perhaps not that original of an observation, but I'm blown away by Nimoy's portray of Spock.

(4) I like the new special effects - I'm as nostalgic as the next Trekkie, but the old special effects have simply not aged well.

(5) Nichols is not a good actress.

Just some thoughts on a rainy morning in Virginia.

2. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watching Star Trek with the kids is a great experience! I hope you get them hooked.

When I did a similar thing to what you're doing, a few things that jumped out at me were :

• I couldn't believe how GREEN the corridors, uniforms etc were. Green must be the first thing that gets washed out as film deteriorates or something.
    • Sulu was hardly in the show at all.
    • The approaches of the various producers were so different, it was like four different shows across three seasons.
    • DeForest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy were the real stars of that show (sorry Shat-fans).
    Must do a block-run of TOS again soon. Kids are heavily into Next Gen at the moment, and it's a wrestle to get the remote.

Keep posting your thoughts as you go.

3. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As many others have noted, Kirk was the "Everyman" of TOS, with Spock and McCoy forming his conscience (devil and angel, logic and compassion). This trio is a perfect tool for telling stories, and the reason any additional characters are "supporting" (or guest stars, etc.).

4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found this line confusing at first, because "the" movies are the ones with the original cast, and Uhura was not such a big role in those. But I caught on: you mean the re-boot movies and Zoe Saldana.

5. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

Yeah!
    When a character is that minimal, the tiny artistic choices an actor makes are really pushed to the foreground.
    It's amazing how Nimoy conveys such a memorable character with just a tilt of the head, a narrowing of the eyes, or other little details like that.

6. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree! And it isn't necessarily a slam on Quinto, either. It's just that Nimoy was that good.

I have a similar opinion about Statner's Kirk and Kelley's McCoy.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Same here.

I grew up watching TNG and saw everything made after that plus all the movies. After the reboot, I went back to watch TOS and TOS' "big three" did interact with each other (IMO) better. NuTrek looses the friendship between Kirk and Bones, the respect between Bones and Spock (by the end at least), and TOS' Kirk appreciates and implements Spock plans at times while nuTrek feels like they're two separate leaders.

8. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would argue that there is no Big 4 in NuTrek. Bones has pretty much been regulated to a side character.

The role he played in the series (the emotional side) seems to be given to Uhura and Kirk. I do enjoy the new movies to an extent but since Bones is my favorite in the original of course I am not as fond of this change.

9. alexianyc

alexianyc Ensign Red Shirt

I agree with that.

Although I suppose it's fair to point out that the TOS relationships had time to develop, while the reboot characters have had only two movies.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^True.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The main character dynamic in the Abrams films is impulsive Kirk / logical Spock. There's no room for Bones because Kirk is played up as Spock's opposite, rather than the man in the middle between opposites Spock and McCoy.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's an interesting point. In universe I would expect age and experience to move Kirk more towards the middle but in movie-land I suspect this won't happen. McCoy was a bit of a non-event in STID, more of a caricature of McCoy.

13. Kinokima

I read somewhere that Abrams said in his universe Kirk and Spock are the opposites and McCoy is in the middle (as having the scientific background and compassion of the Doctor). The problem is I don't really see that as portrayed by the new McCoy.

Anyways I don't think Spock/Kirk as opposites in the movie is bad per say. The new movies are about the formation of their friendship and the whole "we are friends despite thinking we can't stand each other". It's cute but it's been done many times before.

However I just think the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic of the original series was far more compelling & original to me: Ethos/Logos/Pathos, Super Ego/Super Ego/Id Spirit/Mind/Heart, or what have you. Not only did Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley have great chemistry, examining the symbolic and iconic nature of their characters was also great.

14. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that's exactly right, and it is a major feature of JJ-Trek that rubs me the wrong way.

JJ-Kirk is an undisciplined, rebellious man-child because he was raised without a father. That makes some sense within the JJ-verse, but I don't like it. And it strains credibility to see him promoted to Captain.

JJ-Spock is nothing like TV Spock, largely because young Nimoy projected a persona that (I'll bet) JJ finds boring and sexless, and Quinto is a very different actor besides.

15. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Well stated!

16. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These characters, for the most part, defined the actors' careers as well as the reverse.

The fact that Shatner (I almost typed 'Kirk') was able to move on to other things and redefine his career as he went is a tribute to his ability as an actor.

Nimoy never really got past Spock, and the other original cast have not gotten past those roles either.

IMO, YMMV, whatever.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I blame Nimoys big time acting faults with type casting. People only saw a scientific alien when it came to Nimoy while the action star Shatner portrayed fell into many roles at the time.

Though I did find Nimoy singing to be catchy.
    http://youtu.be/AGF5ROpjRAU
    Peter Jackson got nothing on Nimoy IMO? :)

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Why did I look that up, it's still stuck in my head.:rolleyes:

19. Kinokima

^ He sang it again recently

Nimoy is awesome :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkByAkAdZs

About getting past Trek in terms of acting ability:

Anyways Nimoy did do other things besides Spock, it is just that Spock is such an iconic character of course he is going to be most associated with that. A lot of actors don't handle this well, I think Nimoy has and I have a lot of respect for him for that. Yeah I know there were the "I am Not Spock" days but I think that was taken out of proportion and he has certainly embraced his role as Spock now.

I like Shatner too (great sense of humor) but he is famous for being Shatner more so than being a great actor. I know he won an Emmy but I would still say his best known role of the general public is Captain Kirk.

De Kelley was in a lot of stuff before Trek. Never a leading actor but a good character actor, underrated in my opinion. I don't think he was given the chances he deserved and after Trek he was even a bit lazy by his own admission.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral