Save Enterprise Profic!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Aquarius, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Aquarius

Aquarius Commander Red Shirt

http://www.thedelphicexpanse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4289

While there's nothing definite saying there aren't going to be any more Enterprise novels, it doesn't look too promising either. So, at the Expanse, we decided to mobilize and let TPTB know that we love the books and we want more. Rather than go into it all here, the above link has all the information of what we're doing, who to send letters to, etc.

Also, if you have a Twitter account, we're encouraging people to tweet about the novels using the #startrekenterprise and #startrekprofic hashtags.

Thank you.

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tweeted, but in all honesty I'm not good at keeping up with the Twitterarti. Occasionally a cause will come along (like this) that I care about... but I'm a total pariah where social media is concerned.

In terms of something I've ever written getting read, I'd have a better chance, if I simply chalked it on the pavement!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  3. Aquarius

Well, we're not lobbying only on social media. If Twitter isn't your thing, there are names and addresses of people you can mail an actual letter to, if that's more your thing.

The thing is, this is the kind of thing that, if you sit around and wait for someone else to do it, or you don't do anything because you think your voice doesn't matter, then nothing gets done.

And it isn't just Enterprise. It's all of the Star Trek profic, really. I went into the store last night to buy the latest Romulan War novel, and do you know what I saw? ONE Star Trek shelf, compared to FIVE shelves of Star Wars.

WTF?

So if you think that the publisher isn't petering out on
    Trek, think again.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek novels are still being produced at a rate of (roughly) one a month, many years after the shows they're based on have ended or were cancelled. Although not as widely available as Star Wars novels in bookshops (SW merchandising is far ahead of Trek's), they can be very easily found online - often a lot cheaper than in-store prices.

5. Aquarius

Yes -- and I remember when so many more were available. It's one thing to slow down a bit to not oversaturate your client base. But in terms of Enterprise in particular, they've really only been coming out with one novel every -- what? -- year? Two years?

TOS is pretty much the only series they're producing all that faithfully, it seems.

What we do know: as of September 2010, we knew that Andy Mangles would no longer be writing Enterprise novels due to budget cuts at the publisher. We also know that we've been tying to find the answers to the following questions and the fact that there is nothing definitive is of concern to those of us who love the books and have come to view them as the closest thing to a Season Five that we're going to get:

Will there be more ENT novels?
    How many will there be per year?
    What's the health of the publisher for the Star Trek novels?
    Who's making the decisions on what lines will be published (the publisher or Paramount)?

Generally, this stuff should be pretty easy to find out, but not so much right now, and this is a situation we've been watching for over a year.So basically, we're just trying to be a visible presence, remind them that there are fans who want more books, to please not forget us when the dust settles, and we're pointing out that lately, it seems like more and more Enterprise fans seem to be coming out of the woodwork so there is actually potential to grow this particular market if they're smart and careful.

We're encouraging those whose feelings would be hurt if there were no more novels or if the publication of them got any slower to do the same.

We understand if people have their reasons for not participating, and if folks are satisfied with one novel per month favoring TOS, cool. But we don't want this particular line (Enterprise) dropped, and it's a bummer to have to wait so long for the next one all the time, so we just want to do something about it before it becomes a problem, by showing them how eager and loyal we are.

6. F. King Daniel

Ask your questions in the Trek Lit forum. Many of the writers themselves post there, and you may find the answers you seek.

I know the decisions on which books are written is made by the editor at Pocket books (a job that's changed hands frequently in recent times), not by CBS or Paramount. Pocket has the rights to publish books based on the Star Trek TV shows and movies. It's up to them what they do with it.

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been concerned that everytime I go to Barnes&Noble there's hardly any Startrek books on the shelves anymore they're harder to find . And as a fan of the Enterprise books I sure have been wondering why there there are so few new novels being published, that includes all the different startrek books from the Startrek tv series too. I sure would like to see more Enterprise novels be published and continue the adventures of the Enterprise crew.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  8. Aquarius

The specific identities of TPTB isn't the point of what we're doing -- that they've been in flux (as has the structure of the publishing company itself) is, however, a source of concern.

Likewise, one of our representatives has already been in touch with author Michael A. Martin, and he doesn't have any more information than we do at this point. He has, however, said that he'd love to write another Enterprise novel.

We've done our homework.

The point of what we're doing: to be visible, to let them know that the lack of commitment to another Enterprise novel is a little worrisome, and to let them know that we're still loyal to the show and the books. We're simply asking that those who like the books and would prefer to see them continue add their voices to ours, either by way of a letter or social networking.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  9. Kotik

Kotik Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The fact that there are no more ENT profics coming has a very simple reason - publishers. They don't give a rats arse about the fans opinions or their visibility. They have a business to run and the only criterium for publishing a book is, 'will it sell?'.

The ENT books didn't sell very good for two reasons. The writing of the TV series was rather inconsistent, so the books were built on a very shaky basis to begin with and the second, most important reason for not selling is that all the relaunch books were mediocre at best. TGTMD was utterly rubbish.

That's why I think that lobbying for more ENT profic is nothing more but begging for more mediocrity, which isn't very logical.

10. Aquarius

And I suppose that telling them -- politely and without insulting anybody -- what would entice you to buy the books isn't an option?

Look. A lot of people have made a strong case that fan apathy and vitriol killed the show, and I'm inclined to agree with them. The same thing is killing the books. And it isn't just Enterprise. They've pretty much cut back on all of them, except TOS, probably because of the reboot.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Simon and Schuster and CBS think that the concept of Enterprise books in and of itself is a failure. They don't see this as a failure to connect with their target consumers. So simply not buying the books isn't going to point out that distinction to them. They just think, "Nobody wants Enterprise books." Not, "Nobody wants these Enterprise books."

I also see in various places where the blame is being placed on the author himself, with no consideration to the fact that he is operating under instructions and restrictions from CBS and Simon and Schuster. Again, it's an indicator that TPTB may simply be out of touch with what fans -- readers with money -- want.

One thing is for sure: waiting for them to say "no more books" GUARANTEES that you'll never see the kinds of books you want. So if we can even talk them into continuing to publish "mediocrity" as you put it, we can still get in there and swing the bat for what we actually do want. Sitting around message boards bitching about how awful and stupid they are doesn't help anybody, especially the people who want "better" books.

Here's a tip: words like "mediocre" and "rubbish" are likely to be off-putting to decision makers, as well as to people who might otherwise side with you. It's much better-framed as, "I love Enterprise and its characters, and I would love to buy and read more novels, but I feel like (fill in the blank) has been missing from previous releases." You can get the message across and still be nice about it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  11. F. King Daniel

Acutally, I know of only three TOS novels slated for release next year (The Rings of Time, the Vanguard finale --which although set in the TOS timeframe isn't actually TOS-- and the DTI prequel Forgotten History) There's a TNG trilogy by David Mack, a TNG/DS9 duology by David R. George III, another Star Trek: Titan book and another Voyager adventure slated for release next year. Hardly "cut back on"

Also, there are fewer restrictions placed upon Trek authors than ever before, so blaming the book's failings on TPTB is nonsense. The Good That Men Do may have been awful (IMO, YMMV), but the authors were allowed to recon "These Are the Voyages" into oblivion, undo Trip's death and pull the events of the episode back from 2161 to 2156. Some amazing Star Trek novels have been written under far stricter guidelines.

One year without an Enterprise novel isn't a sign that the line is finished. There were virtually no TOS books in the run-up to STXI and no Titan this year

12. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And Ward & Dilmore's That Which Divides.

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I Like the Tos books they don't get published as often as the Tng books do on a regular basis. I'd like to see less TNG era Typhon pact books baing published . And I'd like to see more stand alone books from the different series like Enterprise,TOS,ds9, Voyager books or short story anthologies being writtena nd Published.I've enjoyed reading the Myriad universe novels and Mirror universe books having a variety books with different types of stories is badly needed.The TNG ERA stories are like a broken record they're all the same story every novel just a different fill in the blank alien species and planet in crisis every book stay with the Federation or join the Typhon pact.That type of book gets boring really quickly. It's not the type of Star Trek books I want to read any more.Bring back favorite characters like Data that the fans miss they want to see again in the novels.

14. Kotik

Why shouldn't I say 'the book was rubbish' when it was. I don't want to wrap my opinion in faux political correctness. The books were not good and them going away isn't any loss, because there are dozens of fanfiction novels out there that beat them by a mile. Why should I beg for a commercial product, if I get something vastly superior for free. :wtf:

15. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I would like to see more Trek published (and the whole Trek universe better marketed, frankly) - and that includes all versions. The tripe that was passed off as a final episode certainly was rubbish - "The Good That Men Do" was a very good effort in trying to correct it - not rubbish at all.

16. Kotik

You could publish a photo collection of horse manure and that would still be better than TATV. I cannot agree with your opinion on TGTMD. The whole Trip-as-a-spy premise is as believable as a well-spoken Tellarite or a docile Andorian. It was just totally unbelievable, which is why for me the book and all others that followed and continued the spy charade, did not work the least bit.