Campaign to Restore William Shatner's STV TFF for Blu-ray spec. ed.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by jefferiestubes8, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Campaign to Restore William Shatner's STV TFF for Blu-ray spec. ed

No, it's not.

I've seen the "fan edit." Not impressed.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"I'd always wanted to do a Director's Cut of Star Trek V". Umm, Mr. B., you're not the director, so YOU doing a cut of the film would not be a "director's cut".

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

+1

With respect to Jack Marshall, the cut of "In Thy Image" is awkward to watch and clumsily done.

4. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

The visual effects of Star Trek V have never bothered me. The story and script, on the other hand, have.

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd really like to see this actually. I once saw a fan's attempt to replace the FX, making them more inkeeping with ILM. Spacecraft without all the matt lines on show and something I remember, a slow zoom in on Spock standing in that observation room with the Captain's Wheel. There's talk on the DVD commentary of the originally conceived title sequence - zooming through space from Nimbus, across the galaxy to eventually focus on Kirk climbing the mountain - and how Contact eventually became the first film to achieve that.

But for it to be a Director's Edition, he'd have to run everything by Shatner. Otherwise it's an Enhanced Special Edition.

I can't see the objection to it, with all the theatrical editions on Blu ray. Hopefully The Motion Picture would also be looked at again, matching Wise's approved cut with the updated FX sequences re-rendered in HD.

Same with Burnett's other idea, presumably reanimating The Animated Series so it's a little less 2-D and more like a lost season of the Original Series.

In terms of making Trek desirable on Blu ray, giving the same-old a makeover to better appreciate TOS, those are ideas which could capitalise on what were assuming is going to be another blockbuster with reimagined Kirk, Spock, McCoy et all.

The extras so far for Remastered TNG are amazing and promise to be exciting for terminally underrated ENT, with no doubt revelatory tales about internal power struggles going on between creators and studio. So yeah, initally sounds crazy but I can see revisiting even TFF worthwhile... the longer a Star Trek drought between new stuff goes on. It's got to have some basis in what Shatner regrets, what was planned and might've happened, if he'd had a little more time and money... or else it's one fan's edit to remove all the controversial stuff. I suspect the lighter tone is Shatner's own idea, but you could certainly make the turbolift shift consistent with the universe... if not how he's decided to place characters in toe-curlingly embarrassing situations. Much worse humiliation happened onscreen back in the 60s if were being brutally honest here.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Problem is, if you put stuff like that in, it doesn't fit into the movie at all.

I saw the fan made replacements of the VFX, and it was the same thing. Camera movements and angles that just don't fit into the rest of the film somehow.

TOS-R suffers from the same problem.

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Disagree, inasmuch as that sort of visual effect becomes part of the storytelling process, and would have tied right in with the director's intent to make stuff flow w/o a ton of cuts.

Shatner was hoping to do a lot of this stuff in what during the 90s would be thought of as a Zemeckis-like fashion (well, hoping he wasn't intending to go THAT far!), and that approach relies on superb execution, which is something you're NOT going to get in any fan version unless the fan has immense talent PLUS a render farm.

I think that there is a gorgeous languid feel to Goldsmith's non-military cues, and that would have also meshed well with these types of visuals (certainly did for TMP.)

My problem with the zoom through the universe under the credits is just that ... don't put something that gorgeous under the credits, or you're undercutting what you're doing, kind of like Universal stupidly putting titles over the first shot in TOUCH OF EVIL (though now we can see it as intended, sans credits, if you buy the right version.)

Chances are even if they HAD gotten it right and wound up with a gorgeous sustained shot, somebody would have decided the film needed shortening and they'd've skip-printed it to speed things up, which is what happened to (and ruined) the big move through the city at the beginning of DICK TRACY. I'd love to see the original version of that before it got ruined, sounded wonderful.

8. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI

I'm all for a re-edit if you can edit this film so it can decide whether it is a comedy or serious science fiction.

That has always been my problem with this movie: the funny moments seem almost absurd and the serious moments really don't seem serious enough.

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yes, I've always believed the application of some shrewd editing to excise the more egregious "humour" would significantly improve the movie right off the bat. Personally, I have never accepted the basic premise of the film is "flawed".

10. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really think that if a directors cut was made it would greatly improve the film so i really hope they make it

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Shatner loved all the humour in ST V - it's very much what he thinks is funny - so a Director's Cut would not necessarily remove what many of the fans objected to.

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'd hope he'd possibly have a fresh perspective on it after so many years.

13. Therin of Andor

Better luck getting Leslie Nielsen to drop fart gags.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

It's difficult to convince Leslie Nielsen of anything, since he's deceased.

15. Therin of Andor

He promised that death would not end the farts. :rommie:

16. wjaspers

wjaspers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I saw the re-edit / new vfx version and it is just briljant. Hope CBS will see it the same way.

17. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like a Director's Edition of Final Frontier. Even though it's not my favorite trek movie nor a great one. I think they should throw Shatner a bone.

18. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

19. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I think TMP should get a redo for HD before Trek V. I don't care if the CG models for the SE were destroyed or not, they should just do the whole damn thing over again until it looks like the SE, only HD. I mean, the amount of money it would take to do this would be a drop in the bucket compared to what they've made on JJ Trek and the rest.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. The SE wasn't that good.

The models weren't "destroyed" anyway. :rolleyes: Gods know enough of us have the Enterprise on our hard drives.