Star Trek Film Makers Association

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Oct 18, 2012.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Alec, I do not think I am the one who needs to "CHILL THE FRAK OUT" here.

Where did I "act like a hurt child" ?

I asked questions of you because the wording if your previous post indicated you needed me to expound on my original query.

So I did.

I gave reasons why we would be interested in networking with the network.

I cited previous examples of audio personnel working with fan film personnel.

There's no need to fall on your sword here as if my actual, relevant questions regarding my inquiry were in any way attacking you personally.

I'd love to engage you on this, so lets discuss. There's no need to be petulant.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  2. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

I've worked on both audio dramas and fan films. One of the "fan" audio dramas I did is being turned into a short animated film right now (Masters of the Universe: The Dark Tower). Personally, i feel that if it isn't being shown in a visual format, it can't really be called a "film", so that would technically exclude audio dramas from being part of a fan film co-operative. However, I do think that it is a good idea to try to use actors, musicians, writers, etc, from fan film groups when possible.

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!!: Perhaps you should create a Star Trek (Fan) Audio Drama Association? ;)

3. doubleohfive

Darker Projects is, for all intents and purposes an audio drama network for both fan productions and original content, so that ground's been covered.

Also, I don't see why it has to be relegated to "films" only - this forum is for fan productions, so I'm not seeing any reason beyond "because we say so" to justify why this association would be excluding us. Nobody seems to be able to provide a concrete reason for doing so, and honestly, I thought this community had moved past that.

My main concern and query here was whether or not this new "association" would include audio dramas under its umbrella and listed my reason why. Clearly it won't be doing that, and it's a shame to see such a nice idea already in its infancy being so closed-minded.

On a different note, Linnear, you might want to work on developing a thicker skin. Or at the very least, learn how to manage the queries directed to you in a less hostile manner. Part of being a leader is knowing that you have to deal with everyone, not just the people you want to deal with. Your conduct here has been disheartening, and frankly the whole "screw you guys, this is my sandbox" attitude is not unusual for the fan film community, but is especially disappointing coming from the guy who would, ostensibly be the voice of all the fan films. Dennis, Greg, Randy, Nick -- I can ask these guys anything and I wouldn't ever get the kind of passive-aggressive hostility you've demonstrated in this thread when people have dared to ask you simple questions.

Lastly, it's disappointing to me because of the blatant disregard it shows toward the many talented voice actors, audio mixers, producers and writers in audio drama production - not just at Darker Projects but at all the organizations in the field. Perhaps if more fan films actually knew what they were doing when it came to audio it would be less of an irony, but as has been pointed out, audio is frequently embarrassingly bad when it comes to most fan films, so you'd think an avenue toward knowing and interacting with people who actually understand the craft would present some kind of value. I guess not.

4. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

It could be a Star Trek Fan Drama Association (that would also include live theater)

5. Linnear

Linnear Lieutenant Commander

Doubleoh, I guess you have decided to start your own Association, because you clearly don't know how to build a relationship. Attacking me over and over isn't the way to win me over. I asked you a question and was open to working with audio dramas, but YOU ruined it by attacking me. And then you attacked me two more times. Why all the belligerence?

My record is pretty clear with the founding productions, all of whom I have helped and asked nothing in return. You have only proven to be just one more guy who attacks people on the Internet. Good luck. We will stick to film productions.

Alec

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I don't see why there has to be an organized association with basic principals. I'm sure the intentions are in the right place. That being said I've found that once you try to put too much process, organization, a name and principals on something as simple as sharing resources than it becomes something entirely different than perhaps originally intended.

Principals become by-laws. The initial members become a governing board. Membership becomes dependent on certain criteria. Exclusivity rules. And so on and so on.

I agree with Maurice. There's an unpleasant tone that's emerged. And I'll add that there's also far too much pretention. Best of luck to all.

7. doubleohfive

Once again, I will ask - Where are these comments that are outright attacks against you?

On the contrary. Your posts have been snarling, dismissive and rude. If you were ever open to working with audio dramas, you certainly didn't demonstrate it in this thread.

Well if you want to fall on your sword like that good luck.

Finally! An answer. So you are the one who will unilaterally made these kinds of decisions for the association. That's good to know. Something tells me you won't be lasting very long there with such an arrogant, closed-minded approach to these things.

Agreed. The damn thing hasn't even started and its already just for the cool kids. Pass.

8. Linnear

And so being a jerk to people who are actually doing something makes you feel good?

Ho hum.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  9. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

BTW guys, if you have news about your projects, by all means shoot an email to or PM me and I'll post it.

10. Linnear

Hey Greg, where is that moderation you keep talking about? This thread has run its course. We know who wants to work with others and who wants to just cause problems.

We are done. Please close this thread.

11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Shit, I missed that while posting. Hang on, sport.

I just got the notification.

Edit: NO need to close a thread if select people would act like adults and not children. I've already warned one, and have no problem with warning others if they can't be civil.

P.S. Linnear, instead of mini-modding, which I *HATE*, next time do a post notify like another poster in here did. That gets our attention straightaway. Neither of us is on here all the time and sometimes behaviors happen while we're afk. And it would be helpful if all posters, if they see someone acting out, refrain from reacting to the behavior and wait for us to come and mop up.

12. Linnear

Since some posters have proven incapable of having an adult conversation, if anyone is interested in working with Star Trek Film Makers Association, please email me at alec@propworx.com or find me on Facebook. I don't want to waste time getting trolled on here.

And T'Boo, I don't even know what mini-modding is. I don't spend a lot of time on forums, which is why I guess I am shocked at the lack of civility. But I thank you for your intervention and apologize if I broke procedure.

Alec

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Might I suggest 'Star Trek Fan Production Association' with divisions for film, audio, animation productions etc.

I have done something similar in categorizing name conventions Star Trek forums I have created (trekunited, etc..)

14. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

This is supposed to be a friendly association that can support other groups and each other. Nothing more, nothing less. I understand where everyone's coming from here, but I think folks are just getting frustrated with each each other and the points they're trying to make simply aren't coming across well.

We all want to be friends here okay, so may I suggest we start over with a clean slate.

15. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

:techman: Amen. :bolian:

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Sounds like people are discussing something similar to Star Wars: Fanworks (which was created for audio drama producers). Not so much an organization, as I understand it--could be wrong, as a central place for promotion, sharing info, and things like that. I don't see why something like that, instead of an association/organization, handle ST FF and FA wouldn't be a better fit.

Just my 2-cents. That and $4 will get you a coffee.

17. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

That is a great suggestion! :cool:

18. Linnear

Exactly Nick. And I would be say it would be nice f people actually signed their posts. So easy to be a troll when you are anonymous. It would be nice to get to know everyone by their actual names.

Alec

19. doubleohfive

Double post. (sorry)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  20. doubleohfive

Nobody has been trolling you.

This is basically what I was getting at before Linnear's meltdown. An all inclusive cooperative that everyone could contribute to and also benefit from. Its easy to see the benefits and why it would be a good thing to include everyone; I'm just not clear on why we wouldn't want to include everyone.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012