DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The exact same reason why Uncanny X-Men, Hulk, Moon Knight, Daredevil and Punisher all got #1s too. It's to boost sales. It certainly has nothing to do with the movies since these above books don't have movies out.

Simple: marketing. Marvel is better at pushing their product than DC. DC simply isn't very good at advertising barring their handling of the reboot and Blackest Night. They are just not very fan savy. Remember their idea of a prize for fans was a stupid doughnut.

Likewise mainstream notability simply does not translate into notability in the comics fandom. When a mainstream fan wants to get more of Batman, they aren't going to read the comic, they are going to watch the Nolan movies, watch the Batman cartoons and play the Arkham Asylum video game. Paying for the comic is at the very bottom of the list right next to watching the Adam West TV show.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uncanny X-Men has a new number one because of both marketing and STORY purposes let's not forget that. Sales is a primary reason but they restart the book at one because it is now Cyclops book.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This isn't even a legit reason now if it ever was.
    Long standing titles ran for hundreds of issues with new generations of readers picking them up and keeping them popular without needing #1's. My first issues of Spiderman were Spectacular 144 and Web of Spiderman 44(which also introduced me to a Gray Hulk??). Same for other titles. Creative teams and EIC's came and went and #1's weren't needed.
    If you pick up the new Uncanny they are going to within issues, if not in issue 1 mention what has gotten us to this point. Same for the upcoming Hulk.
    It's all marketing to FOOL the stupid that still think #1 means $$$$ down the road. That are they really are saying that today's youth are too stupid to jump in like generations before them were able to do.

4. Admiral_Young

I'm not talking about any future value of the book. We all know these number ones will have little to zero value of the book in a few years or whenever. I also am one who is against re-numbering but not because I'm a so called purist or anything like that. I just think it is silly. Fans will continue to buy the comics they want not because they think it will have some value to it but because they have been reading the book. Collectors might be deluded still into think there are some value to these new number ones. I have never bought books to collect, I have bought books to read. Simple as that.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So, I talk about the Ghostbusters and TMNT comics and you flip your shit with a "NOT DC NEW 52!!!!?!!!!" but here you actively involve in a discussion about Marvel comics.

Interesting.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I know you(Admiral Young) weren't but I still hear folks about the net and even at my LCS acting like OMG it's a #1. I give you the credit you deserve. I was talking about others. Sadly others I can say I've encountered weekly/monthly. Making excuses as if it's a legit 'jumping on point' for new readers.

7. Admiral_Young

Hey Trekker...I'm not the one who started this particular subject...and they're talking business between Marvel and DC. Which is what the New 52 is all about.

So has anyone started to drop books? I'm down to fourteen now and can forsee getting down to four when we enter the second arc. My favourite two books so far are "Action Comics" and "Batman". I think my most disappointing book so far has to go to "Batman and Robin".

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then nothing else matters. You can buy the secondary reason or not.

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm quite fond of B&R. The writer is really in touch with Bruce's human side and he writes a very good Alfred.

Biggest disappointments are Blackhawks, Birds of Prey and Batgirl.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And don't forget this.

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Again, what you don't seem to understand is that I am not saying that the movies are the only things giving Marvel the edge. But you can't deny that the movies have brought Marvel's characters to the forefront of public awareness much more than any of DC's over the past decade.

12. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'd argue that the story reason came from the sales reason. They wanted to reboot Uncanny X-Men so they created Schism to come back with several new number 1s (is it just Uncanny and Wolvie?). X-Men has gone through multiple changes of direction without relaunching. While there was a name change, Morrison took over at issue 114, which was the biggest change the X-Men have ever gone under. And then when that ended, the change started at issue 444 of Uncanny X-Men at 157 or so of X-Men. Then when they went to Utopia, none of the numbers changed either.

So yeah, you have to look at sales when it comes to this. Everything else is a very distant secondary.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I've gotten into the comics because of the movies, so it has gotten them at least one new reader. But for me, it was more of just generally getting me interested in comics in general not specific characters. My thinking was that I really liked these characters, and I was curious to see what the source material for them was like. Then once I liked the couple of X-Men and Spider-Man comics, I started moving into other things like Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, and now that Marvel is on Comixology I plan on checking out FF, Hulk, Avengers, and a few other Marvel characters.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And Arkham City.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Anyone notice the tombstone for Ferro Lad in LOSH #2? Giant reservoir condom.

16. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're absolutely right... but for what it's worth, it's an accurate depiction of the memorial as it originally appeared back in the Silver Age...

--g

17. Admiral_Young

I thought both Aquaman #2 was very good and Superman #2 was a tremendous improvement over the first issue but the dialogue is still atrocious. I'm glad that General Lane doesn't seem to be a total ass hole towards Superman but is merely concerned about his presence from a purely national security standpoint. The previous continuities Lane always had a personal hatred towards Superman. The conversation between the two of them about Lois and his continued presence on Earth was very well done.

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The Flash. Wow. The art is so fucking cool. Like Batwoman cool.

19. Admiral_Young

I have heard and read that the art is worth getting the book for.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Teen Titans is still the best story so far.