CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

Clearly most American posters on the BBS are being sensible and mature about the prospect of a non-US citizen playing Cap. But I've no doubt that if Marvel cast an Aussie, Brit, Irishman, whatever in the role, the online petitions, letter writing campaigns and fanboy fury would kick off quicker than you can say 'Daniel Craig IS James Bond'!

2. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're really not assigning blame to Routh, are you?

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Not to mention that Chris Reeve and Hugh Jackman were unknowns when cast as Superman and Wolverine and they did pretty well in the roles.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I'm not. He was probably the best part of casting actually. It was an attempt at humor. Just that Routh's career post Superman has gone nowhere vs say Jackman who was unknown is now more bankable and marketable.

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

When it comes to a matter of something arbitrary (like the name of a geographic feature), yes. In fact, all that matters is majority opinion or belief.

When it comes to the matter of a fixed measurable fact (like the Base 10 numerical representation of the value of pi), then no, majority belief is irrelevant.

Trivial Fact: In some countries, it is taught that there are five continents. In some, six, in others, seven. Does that mean one of them is true and the others wrong?

6. Captain Craig

Not to be a participant in another tangent, like the British/Irish thing but I must ask the following?

Is the definition of a continent not see as a 'fixed measurable(definable) fact'? I'd have thought so.

7. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Nope. Different models might count Europe and Asia, and/or North America and South America, seperately and together. (Fun fact: the Olympic rings represent the 'five' continents). Hell, even the definition of "planet" is not a fixed, measurable thing, as Pluto's recent downgrading indicated.

EDIT: Wiki has a lovely animated graphic on its continent page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

8. Captain Craig

In the interim I looked at merriam-webster.com(m-w.com) and they have the definition of continent as six or seven. I can see the Europe/Asia combo but not the N.America/S.America one those two are very distinct wheras E/A seamlessly is one land mass.

I knew of the Olympic rings but wasn't thinking of them at the time. I an understand the 5 rings cause no nation represent Antarctica, thus the creator is from the 6 continent school of thought most likely.

The Pluto issue is new. The science community just recently(fairly) retconned the definition whereas that hasn't been done with continents.
    FWIW...Pluto is a planet!

9. Chaos Descending

Until the Panama Canal was dug, North and South America were also one seamless land mass, just connected by a narrow neck.

FYI, it's mainly in Spanish speaking countries where N/S America is treated as one continent.

10. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While it's not a 1 to 1 match-up worldwide, North and South America are on separate tectonic plates, so that should count for something.

11. Chaos Descending

Perhaps, but if we follow that chain of thought then Asia should probably be at least two continents.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

So are we talking about "Captain Pangea" here?

(Making a valiant attempt to steer the thread back to the original topic . . . .)

13. Chaos Descending

^^^ Yes, we are. Dammit! ;)

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The guys a dinosaur.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

But those petitions would be extremely insignificant compared with the vast majority of potential viewers who will neither know nor care anything about this movie or the cast until they show up at the multiplex and scan the board for something good to watch for a coupla hours.

I'm just kinda amazed that Hollywood folks worry about the tiny percentage of vocal letter writers/petition signers/stalkers. :rommie:

Funny article, but frankly I think they're too easy on Hugh Laurie - A+? He growls to cover up for his imperfect accent - or like the article says, "front loading on the consonants" - he's pulling some kind of trick and it doesn't sound right. Anna Torv is, indeed, dreadful but I've never had much problem with Charlie Hinman (I guess I should start listening closer. I get distracted by him wandering around shirtless and taking showers.) :rommie: And where's the guy who played Linc on Prison Break, he just flat out gave up trying.
    I see you read the comments in my link. Frakkin hilarious. :rommie: But fun to be reminded that I, too, learned in school that Europe is a fake continent and the real continent is Eurasia - which you can see just by looking at any frakkin' map.

If North and South America are the same continent by virtue of being connected, then Europe, Asia and Africa are also one continent and therefore there are four continents.

If the rationale is "it's what people who live there say," then it's Europe, Asia, North America, South America, Africa, Australia and Antarctica. That's seven.

If the rationale is "it looks like it's separate," then it's Eurasia, North America, South America, Africa, Australia and Antarctica. That's six.

If the rationale is "it's not touching," then it's Eurafricaasia (or whatever), America, Australia and Antarctica. That's four.

There's no consistently logical scheme that will getcha five continents.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  16. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard: THERE ARE FOUR CONTINENTS!

What? Somebody was gonna say it...

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

17. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, that worked out real well for Jessica Alba.

So after, what, 25 years, he's finally going to get that musical?

They're all touching, under the water. :p

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

According to TrekToday, Chris Pine is the frontrunner and on the short list to play Captain America.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

He's got a thing for playing Captains, doesn't he?

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Captain Kirk, Captain America AND Jack Ryan?