Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jiraiya, May 9, 2009.

1. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the part of converting it to widescreen is stupid. That ain't happening. You can't just lope off the top and bottom from something shot in full frame.

2. Picard Alpha

Picard Alpha Commander Red Shirt

I don't think it looked as bad as you're making it out to be... http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/generations/ch9/gen0488.jpg

3. MvRojo

Yeah, I never even noticed.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, you wouldn't always do that. Sometimes you'd cut only the top, or only the bottom, or a combination of the two. Whatever works for the scene.

That being said: Many shows were intentionally filmed 'loose' such that the total amount of area actually captured on film could be hard matted for 4:3 *or* 16:9. That's basically what they do with IMAX movies. The native ratio of IMAX is about 1.4:1; when transferring an IMAX film to 4:3, they cut off part of the sides, whereas a widescreen version (such as Blu-Ray) has the top and bottom trimmed. No one has ever seen an IMAX film in its native ratio outside of an actual IMAX theater...

5. Trekfan21

Trekfan21 Commander Red Shirt

I think what ruined that shot for me were the matte lines. I may be using the wrong time, but the boxes surrounding the ship. They were very visible on the big screen, and it was something that Lucas had already cleaned up on the Star Wars movies, so I was disappointed to see it in a modern Trek film.

6. Trekfan21

Trekfan21 Commander Red Shirt

And there were actually 2 "Encounter at Farpoint" shots in Generations. The one we've been discussing, and then the shot from the ventral section of the saucer when the ship initially separates.

7. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Generations came before Lucas "fixed" up the SW movies. The Generations re-use shots really didn't bother me much honestly. What bothered me was how the D got blown up, which was apparently directly related to the limited budget.

8. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Could this mean that the original film had a wider aspect ratio then 1:33.1 and that they cut things off to make it 4:3 on the video? If that were the case making TNG widescreen should be feasible without the need for cutting off too much at the edges?

9. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

I bet if they release TNG on HD, they just upscale it, like they did with the movies.

10. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Are you telling me, that the HD releases of Star Trek movies aren't the films released in HD, but they've taken the SD DVDs and upscaled them!?

I don't buy that. The films after all are at resolutions far higher than HD. They wouldn't upscale a DVD release. There'd be massive outcry over that, they'd damage their reputation as movie company.

11. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

That's just nonsense. The blu-ray movie editions are in true HD resolution. They look WAAAAAAAAAY better then the DVDs. It's an entirely new viewing experience.

12. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Tell Cheapjack that.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Good news *crosses fingers*

14. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Clearly, you didn't see it in the theater, where it looked like a faded double-dupe next to the other shots. It is noticeable on homevid as well, but probably not quite so obvious.

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Well, that's why you shoot super35, to protect framing options. But if you shoot real widescreen, and you're not framing to it, that failing shows, and usually looks amateurish.

16. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

In terms of budget tightness ... you got a 12 foot saucer crashing instead of 24 foot saucer crashing. But if you look at the sequence, about half the shots work terrific already ... if you cut the sequence differently, it would work fantastically well with half the effects shots (the good half.)

I think the failing of the sequence lie with letting it go on too long.

17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

The solution is framing with common top line.

http://www.cameraguild.com/technology/formats.htm

TOS-R was transferred to HD at 1.37:1 original aspect ratio for Blu-ray.
    Outpost4 told us in 2007 that
    All the TOS-R new visual effects were rendered at 16:9 for the Japanese market.
    for the XBOX 360 marketplace [worldwide] the TOS-R was cropped for 16:9 and sold as a download at 720p.
    Trekmovie also posted on it.

It is possible that Paramount/CBS would feel for syndication purposes they should also do the same for any TNG-R products being sold in the Japanese market.
    Otherwise it is additional time for rendering that is unnecessary as TNG-R would be sold as 4:3 image with pillarbox just like TOS-R on Blu-ray.

18. MvRojo

Actually, I did see it in theatres.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no "might". The F/X would HAVE to be redone. You literally can't have TNG in high definition without that. End of story.

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

At a drive-in? How else could you not notice how out of place it looked?