Paul Walker dead at 40

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sorry, you just seemed to be trying to make some kind of point with the emphasis bit.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Over the last couple of days most news outlets have reported that the car was going at 40-45 miles per hour.

3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Poor guys, R.I.P.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

5. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Wow. If you want to know what pure, spluttering RAGE from thousands of people looks like when written down, read the infinitely spawning comments section for that article. I mean, holy crap. I think she's pulled off an artificial black hole of hatred with a single post on her blog.

6. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  8. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I would like to add that I would've loved to see more of him outside of the F&F franchise. From what I've read, he seemed to be a very down-to-earth actor. He was only a year older than I, and I had this huge crush on him when I first saw him in Joyride.

R.I.P. :(

10. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Holy shit Morgan Freeman died too? And he looked so spry at the Obama inauguration :( :( :(

12. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is this type of thing really necessary in someone's memorial thread?

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I know who Mandela is and realize the huge, huge impact his death has on history and what a great man he was and what he did for the world. That said. I think I "miss" Walker more since his life had "more of an impact" on mine in the form of the entertainment I got from the F&F movies. The world is impacted more by Mandela's death but we could argue Walker's death was "more tragic." Mandela lived an amazing, rich, long life that impacted many and died an old man in his 90s. Walker was a young man who died in a tragic accident with still more than half of his life ahead of him.

Two very different types of deaths and two deaths that mean very different things. But, really, years from now only one of these deaths will be remembered in the history books so that's what really counts.

It's unfair to compare the two.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is sadder to die at 40 than at 95.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Just because Paul Walker was an actor doesn't mean his death was "less" important.

I would say the person that created that insulting picture is the one of those people that is wrong with the world.:rolleyes:

17. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

And completely glosses over the fact that Mandela founded and lead a violent terrorist campaign that targeted civilian locations for bombings, and "neck tied" prisoners in Angola. Neck Tying was where a person had their legs bound, and while kneeling had a tire placed over their torso, pinning their arms, and lit on fire.

18. Trekker4747

19. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

There's a time and place for a graphic such as this. It strikes me as incredibly low-class to come in here to thread-shit on this discussion to do it.

If you would prefer to start a discussion about how we as a society mourn the celebrities and notable personalities in our culture and government by all means, go for it. (As it happens, I do tend to agree that it is a sad state of affairs that seemingly more people are concerned about Walker's death than Mandela's, but again - this isn't the place for that discussion.)

I'll happily contribute to the discussion in another thread, but not here. Right now though, right here, you're just hawking your alleged moral superiority and trolling the rest of the people participating in this thread, and that's just sad.

More egregious is that I've now been forced to agree with the likes of Dream, and if you know me you know how much doing something like that pains me. So, THANKS A LOT. :mad:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  20. Trekker4747

Again, I really don't think it's fair to compare the reactions people have to a man pushing a century who died of natural causes and a man in the prime of his life dying suddenly in a traffic accident.

It's also possible to care about both deaths at once, but in the end I think Walker's death effects me more since I got entertainment from him.

The world, however, got vastly more from Mandela's life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.