TOS Product ideas

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by JBElliott, Jan 19, 2012.

1. JBElliott

JBElliott Commander Red Shirt

ThinkGeek recently put out a great TOS door chime (link) which I ordered two of before the first run sold out.

That got me thinking of a few other products that would be pretty nifty:

• a TOS communicator with bluetooth (petition)
    • an iPhone case based on the TOS communicator, with a flip grill (petition)
    • an iPad case based on the TOS pad that Kirk "signed" (petition)

If you'd be interested in any of them (or even if you wouldn't be) "sign" the petitions to let ThinkGeek know they'd have a market.

I've seen some TOS bluetooth communicators on eBay, but they're going for over $300 which is too rich for me and I've seen some "how to" videos, but that's too much time for me, I'd rather a company make it and I buy it for $50 or so. :rommie:

2. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Why limit them to TOS? TNG is really the inspiration/precursor/logical extension of iProducts. The TNG padd, both small and large (as seen in DS9) would work better as cases for iphones and ipads.

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

We've had 2 contests along this line... and Ptrope has graciously archived them!

"Trek Ads" - April 2005 [the thumbs are broken but the links work]

"Personal Trek Tech" - July 2007

4. JBElliott

Well, I'm a lot more of fan of TOS than of TNG, so I wouldn't buy TNG stuff, but I'm sure a lot of people would.

The Padd from TNG would work a lot better with the iPad and there's sort of an app for that (which I did buy but didn't think much of) and a bluetooth comm badge from TNG would be pretty cool, but TOS communicator iPhone case would be ideal.

5. NickInABox

NickInABox Captain Captain

I'd be ok with a TOS communicator iPhone case.

6. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

The door chime is brilliant. Every time i walk into my bathroom now, it goes SWOOSH!

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually have a "pocket" door leading to my bedroom. Didn't have it installed; it just came with the house. One of those "intercom" chimes would certainly add to the motif.

Sincerely,

Bill

8. JBElliott

Wahh! I'm jealous! I won't get mine until next week. Glad to hear they're great though!

9. JBElliott

The sign the petition! :) They won't get made if it only gets one signature. :rommie:

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The TOS communicator is actually rather fat, so there is an option for a double flip phone.

You have the mesh flip-grid and the moire pattern on the front side, but on the opposite side you could have a hidden hinge that allows the communicators back to slide open for something like a blackberry.

I seem to recall a raised structure that surrounds the shell of the communicator from top to bottom--so that is the join for a back that opens.

11. JBElliott

Mine showed up yesterday. I've got two of them, one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom. They're great! The only thing that would make them better would be a walkie-talkie function for a "real" intercom.

12. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. JBElliott

Wow that's pretty cool. Reminds of this wallet:

[​IMG]

[LEFT]I ordered a few of these from my LCS.
    [/LEFT]

14. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

^^I have the Enterprise blueprint wallet... :D

15. JBElliott

I got a tweet from Rod Roddenberry that some people were thinking about making the TOS communicator iPhone case. :bolian:

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Hi! Is this the same JB Elliot that used to work at the B'Ham NWS and works at ABC 33/40 with James Spann?

17. JBElliott

The closest I've come in a year is a nice heavy duty paper wallet that's got the communicator images on it. Very nice, but not a blue tooth communicator or flip up iPhone communicator case.

18. JBElliott

Nope, a different one. I've got two t's. :)

19. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would like an actual PADD from tng. It's just crying out to be made. We have technology! Shame we didnt when TNG was made. Imagine how much better they would have looked than static screens.