The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent episode, not the outcome I was expecting at all but I liked it. Bittersweet end for Andrea; for all the shit I've given her for not being like her comic counterpart, I liked her in the last couple episodes.

Carl's turning into a mini-Shane; Hershel was definitely right about that scene, and there's no way I'd trust Carl's reading of the situation over Hershel's anyway. And it's so weird after his last focus episode saw him opening up and bonding with Michonne a bit. Still, hopefully Rick's decision at the end (and notice - if Rick had followed Carl's "standard" with the woman hiding in the truck, they would never have found out about either what the Governor did Andrea's escape attempt, plus they would never have gotten Tyrese and Sasha plus the rest of the regular Woodburians) will start to turn him around.

That was overall a far more positive ending than I expected, and I'm looking forward to it being back in the fall.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That was an interesting ending. No cliffhanger, just a touch of hope for the future. And they'll still be at the prison next season. It must be an expensive set so no doubt they want to get some more use out of it before moving on. The governor's town is pretty much dead though. Not many were people left. What happened to them all?

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It will be interesting to see how Carl interacts with Woodbury's refuge children, who for the most part have remained children & not execution machines like he's become. Will it maybe help him at least regain some of his humanity if not his innocence? Interesting turn of luck for Rick as a dad, perhaps

Absolutely. These are the kind of decision making moral people you want to see. I absolutely love these two new characters

I actually think I might be at the 1st point where I'm glad all the characters that are around are there

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not much of the original Atlanta group left. For an outbreak barely over a year old, Rick's group was cut down in number pretty fast.

5. Mojochi

I think you're supposed to. It's not like the youngster just dropped his gun immediately when ordered to. He saw a woman with a baby, an old crippled man & a little boy. He could have been getting ideas, & Carl probably decided he wasn't going to wait anymore

But you're also supposed to see Hershel's perspective too, & regardless if Carl was wrong or not, it nevertheless says a lot about who he's becoming, a kill or be killed man with little or no moral hesitation

Hershel & Rick are right to be concerned about that

6. TREK_GOD_1

One thing about Carl: blaming his father for Lori's death? I guess he never realized his father chased Andrew (was that his name?) out into the courtyard, with the idea the walkers would eat him alive. That action was exactly what Carl suggested, only Andrew managed to survive. What about Tomas--or the bar guys from season 2? Rick has killed when necessary, but it is not the solve-it-all answer he's looking for.

On top of that, perhaps Lori would be alive if she never screwed Shane--which (ultimately) brought her to her demise. No pregnancy, and Lori would be alive.

When grilling Rick about missing the chance to kill the Governor during the meeting, did he stop to think the Governor was not alone? Or that an outbreak of violence could have spelled doom for Daryl & Hershel?

Further, Merle was an adult who decided to take Michonne to the Governor, just as it was his decision to release Michonne & mount his attack on the Woodbury soldiers. Rick could not alter or influence that.

Carl is a child, but his ability to rationalize is too centered on killing to prevent setting bad events in motion, when most of the deaths were initiated by bad luck, or bad personal decisions.

7. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Semi-spoilers ahead
    Carl is a child growing up in death and chaos, it's no wonder his sense of morality is slipping.
    For Carl there is no giving anybody the benefit of the doubt. But we have seen Rick do it too, the backpacker pleading for his life, left for dead. This zombie world, leaves little room for chance with other humans you don't know. The governor finally lost all his marbles, and now he has nothing to govern.

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

With the way the guy was acting -- inching closer and closer rather than following the order to just drop the rifle -- and considering the state of the world, and the fact that he was an active enemy during what is effectively a time of war... well, I'd have done exactly the same thing Carl did in that situation.

9. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I kept saying to myself, "right choice, Carl. Right choice" right after Carl shot that kid. He was acting TOO weird to take a chance.

10. TREK_GOD_1

Some may see Carl's decision as correct (considering the active war situation), but his conclusions are generated by a take-no-prisoners mentality that will only lead to pain, as he has to realize others (like the Governor) will see the rest of the Atlanta/farm group in the same way. He's quite dark.

11. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

The penultimate episode would've been a much better season-ender, IMO. This episode was anticlimactic by comparison, and probably would been okay as a mid-season finale.

The guy didn't hand over the gun, my initial though was he's gonna try and pull one over on the kid, so the resonance of the boy shooting him was non-existent.

Not sure if the governor can make a comeback--how? Two-three cohorts who will always look over their shoulders.

And now the city of Woodbury exists at the jail... hm. No sense of foreboding for next season, nothing to say--oh crap, I can't wait.

No Riker saying, ... "fire"

No Breaking Bad discovery of an incriminating notation.

Just... fade out...

12. Mojochi

I don't think every season needs that cliffhanger stuff. Season one didn't & it's still the best season by far. The bad guy is still out there. The characters have gotten more interesting. I'll still be watching

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I prefer it this way. Bullshit cliffhanger endings need to hit the road. A good show knows you'll be back without having to force the issue or make you wait. (Or in worse cases, get cancelled with no resolution. I hate that.)

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Attrition: The commando raid to rescue Glenn & Maggie; the return strike to rescue Daryl; Merle's stand at the negotiation site; the attack on the prison; and the Governor going full-tilt crazy and killing most of his strike force.

Most of the people who were left after that don't seem to have been considered to be possible fighters, hence being left at Woodbury when the Governor set out to attack the prison. It seemed like they were, in fact, being left entirely on their own for, since Tyreese and Sasha said they would stay to protect them until the Governor returned.

15. TREK_GOD_1

they did not have to "go big" with action in the finale, as in the season 2 finale. Andrea's death as the coda to the the conflict she tried to stop was a somber series of scenes.

Watching Andrea's last frame again, it was sad as it appeared she moved closer to Michonne--as if to seek comfort, before cutting to the men in the hall, listening.

Some are wondering if the final shot of the cross/grave marker meant Andrea was laid to rest? Or did it mark the chance to hope again? Both?

I'm glad you mentioned this. Yes, the Governor is not finished. How he returns is up for debate, but the unfortunate possibilities just seem to be on the way:

1. He will return alone, and finally make some of season three's incorrect predictions come true, meaning Hershel, Beth & Judith could die anytime before the mid season finale.

2. Rick's gang will face new enemies, so it is possible for the Governor to meet this person (or group), lie his ass off about what really happened, and set the stage for another attack. This attack alos leads to the death(s) of several Rick gang members.

Either way, he will not last all of season 4, but being the Jim Jones / doomsday psychopath that he is, I see him going out with a gruesome, tragic bang, reminding the audience that....Andrea, yes Andrea may have been--dare I say it--correct in fighting for peace so often.

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where I could see the Governor headed:

In an arc after the prison, Rick and his group came across a group of human who had gone cannibal. There were only a few and they picked off people by ones and twos. I think Phillip is nuts enough to take things to this level next.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The Governor could also hook up with Randal's group if there still around, that would tie that season 2 thread in with Season 4.

Also, the boy 'Toby' (as the Talking Dead calls him) that Carl shot, was he the asthmatic kid earlier in the season they were trying to teach to shoot? If so would is mother then be at the prison now with Carl..hmm.

How are they going to feed that many people in the prison. I guess they really need to fix the outer gates, clear the walkers and garden on the green for starters.

18. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could also take whatever foodstocks are left in Woodbury. Also, I'd hope they also took a generator.

Good episode - only nitpick. Where the fuck did they find a highlighter for the bible passage?

19. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Administrative office or the Warden's office. You can always find office supplies in the desks.

With all those people I hope they finally fix the hole in the wall and reclaim the rest of the prison. If they grab a generator or two from Woodbury, maybe then can get the cafeteria up and running.

They just need to find someone to go in there and clean out the freezer/toilet.

20. Whettestone

Whettestone Captain Captain

Re: "CLEAR" SUCKED

LOL, I just found out you gave me an infraction like, one month ago.

The reason you quote: Questioning someone's intelligence like that is a clear-cut flame. I also see you CHOSE to ignore your friend Kestrel just 10 posts above me telling me "I'm laughing at the superior intellect." which is questioning my intelligence and is a clear-cut flame. But I guess because he's your friend and/or it's a Star Trek quote, it's okay for him to do it to me.

What I don't see in the FAQ or anywhere is an explanation about what that "point" in my PM is suppose to mean. And since I don't come here too often, I guess it doesn't mean anything. You could try to explain it to me, but I probably wouldn't see it until July.