Red Dwarf 25th Anniversary Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MacLeod, Feb 11, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes 25 years is an achievment but a certain other Sci-Fi show which started on the BBC as is still on the BBC hits the 50th anniversary.

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm proud that I just forced my son to sit and watch it. He was hooked after just a couple of minutes of The End.

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe - but Red Dwarf takes the cake for having the same cast through most of those twenty five years. Not sure how many shows have kept the same three (four) core characters together for that long without recasting or replacement?

Mark

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And bring back Holly! :scream: I see that he's not in Series X. What happened? Norman Lovett just turned them down?

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Consider that it's only 10(ish) seasons/series' with 6-8(?) eps per season spread out over those 25 years.

Can't be terribly hard to keep 4 actors together for that. I'm certainly happy they did.

Any word at all on a Series XI?

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's with deflating the 25th?

"Hey I lost 25 pounds! I'm thrilled."
    "Oh really, Bob Smith across the street lost 50."

Get outta here...

7. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

They didn't have the budget.

He didn't take it well.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Meant to say this a few weeks ago! I went to Brit Sci-fi 3 at the space centre in Leicester on March 9th. Barrie, Llewellyn and Jules were all there and I went to their Q&A. The three have such great chemistry together, just a shame Charles wasn't there too.

Anyhoo, they did seem to be suggesting that there would be another series, it was just a question of finding the time in all their schedules...they seemed to be suggesting it wasn't likely to air before 2015 though...

The queue for their autographs was insane, so there is still a huge fandom for the boys from the Dwarf, and a lot of people obviously there to see them patently weren't born when the show started.

I didn't get their autographs, my main focus there was Paul Darrow and Michael Keating, and I did get their autographs and had my picture taken with them :)

Apologies for minor Blakes 7 diversion in this thread...

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

damn. :(

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, when it comes to Red Dwarf, I don't mind waiting, provided there is something to wait for.

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Red Dwarf and can't believe it's 25 years old! One of my favorite series! Hoping there is more!

Mr Awe

12. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished watching Series 9, which is all Netflix has. What the smeg was that?! It was so un-Red Dwarf. I still can't tell if I liked it, or not.
    When was series 10 made? Is it any good? Anyone know when it is supposed to be available on Netflix?

13. Pingfah

Oh god yeah, Series 10 knocks the socks off Back to Earth. Don't let that put you off.

14. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Have a bit of a bump.

The collector mentality kicked in again. I wound up getting Back to Earth as well, just to round the collection off, and I've watched them all. Indeed I'm rewatching 10 now just to get the chronology sorted.

So 1-6 were brilliant as I expected. Season 7 wasn't quite as bad as I remembered, but after the great Tikka to Ride, it all went quickly downhill.

The surprise was Season 8. It's hilarious. It has some of the funniest stuff out of the whole series. Great moments, brilliant lines. It gets rid of the jealous Kryten-neurotic Kochanski dynamic that put me off season 7. The problem with 8 is that by bringing the crew back, it dilutes the story, loses the focus on the main characters. It feels like a wodge load of Red Dwarf moments in a show that isn't Red Dwarf. The real problem with 8 though is the finale, where too much is crammed into one episode and it all goes a little wobbly thereafter.

Back to Earth was worse than I remembered. At least on TV I had the novelty of new Red Dwarf after 9 years. This time I knew what was coming!

I'm surprised that Series 10 was commissioned off the back of it!

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well when BTE aired on Dave it got the channels highest ever ratings, until Red Dwarf X beat those ratings.

16. Pingfah

I'm sure it would get the spiffy ratings back if they put it back on the Beeb.

Still no news on another series, I think if it happens we won't have anything on screen for another 2 years at least.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

My kid has finally started watching.

I tried to force it on when he was nine, but he resisted.

8 years later and his girlfriend suggests that it's a good idea in passing.

She's blonde.