Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Becoming one of the mindless drones of the modern age. Two birds in the bush. Let the cat out the bag. To infinity and beyond the box office. Thursday.

2. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

The only question is is this it's own thing or isn't it 'cause alien was a different animal and high mind concept. That's what made it shine like a comet. Just hope this doesn't burn up in the atmosphere of trying to cash in on the Alien franchise is all.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alien was a horror movie. It isn't high concept at all. It's just well made.

4. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Alien presented a very different take on the science fiction genre at the time. Star Trek's aesthetic was very bright and sterile. The Star Wars universe looked more lived in, but still relied a lot on fantasy tropes. It was Alien that took the lived in look to its logical conclusion with a very realistic take on sci-fi (no faster than light travel, space truckers) and then transplanted various horror tropes into that setting.

So no, it wasn't entirely original. But it had an interesting take on already existing concepts. Now Prometheus is revisting some of the concepts that Alien overlooked in favour of creating a decently paced horror film. I, for one, am very excited to see the background on the Space Jockey aliens, and I have faith in Ridley Scott and co to deliver a satisfying experience.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

There has to be faster than light travel in the Alien universe. For example, in the second film it takes 3 weeks to travel a distance of 33 light-years.

6. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

You're right. But it does still take considerably longer to get places than in the Wars and Trek universes.

7. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, to the point where people can spend decades in cryosleep getting from A to B.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well it's space adventure and looks decently creepy and interesting. And we haven't had a good space adventure seemingly forever. It doesn't have to tie-in directly to Alien, it just has to be good in its own right.

9. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

There's a lot of weird people in this thread.

10. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just have to say, I gonna watch this film, hope i can find it in 2d, but I will be watching this film. And this is a person who never watches films in the theater (I watched two movies in the last 2-3 years in the theater.)

11. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Most anticipated film in ages for me

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perfect film. Unclouded by its predecessors' sequels, or any delusions of the film industry. I admire its purity.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I too have high hopes and grandiose dreams for this movie.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

IMO this has the potential to be one of the best movies of the year, and if it really fulfills it's potential, the last several years.

15. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

I see what you did there. :techman:

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Just this thread?

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Valley Forge

Valley Forge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I want to say I read somewhere (maybe the Colonial Marine's Handbook, or whatever it was called), that the FTL in the Alien universe had a reverse time dilation effect, in that instead of time seeming shorter on the ship as it approaches the speed of light, in their version of FTL, once past the light-barrier, times seem much longer, thus the requirement for hibernation, despite traveling FTL.

May be completely "un-canon". Your mileage may vary.

Vf

19. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I woulf be careful about letting the internet make that decision for you... you have to keep in mind that this thing is getting hyped up so much that there's always there risk of everyone coming back and saying "That was it?" if it doesn't turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread. Surely you know how fickle us internet folks are. ;)

I'm stoked for this movie. The trailer looks great and it's got some names that I really enjoy in it, so hopefully it lives up to expectations to some degree.

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member