Spock and Uhura or Anakin and Padme

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by 1bulma1, Nov 27, 2010.

1. 1bulma1

1bulma1 Lieutenant Commander

A youtube user posted this comment on A
    spock and uhura video
    ‘‘What I found surprising is how well this romance worked considering the two characters only shared 3 brief scenes together, which added up to maybe 5 minutes? It was 100 times more effective than the Anakin/Padme romance in the Star Wars prequels, even though that relationship literally sucked up half the screen time in Episode II’’

so I can't help but ask what romance do u guys prefer? Anakin and Padme or Spock and Uhura?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's a very fair comparison (the focus of a trilogy vs. five or six minutes), but I say Spock and Uhura. It was a very small part of the film, but their relationship was well portrayed. There was none of the mushy "doomed love" pathos, they were simply portrayed as two twentysomethings in a relationship - it was much more real life than Star Wars' fairytale story. Will their relationship last? Is it serious? Who knows. It was more believable and didn't annoy me.

...and of course, Spock/Uhura utterly infuriated a portion of the TOS fanbase, which led to a few entertaining rants and raves over the years;).

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even in the context of this place, I gotta admit that this thread title made me chuckle: oooooooh we are nerds now! :rommie:

But I will out-nerd you all by asking: are we talking about PT Anakin and Padme or Clone Wars Anakin and Padme? It makes all the difference...

The key here is that the characters must be well written before any romance (or even any story) is worth bothering with.

Spock and Uhura - both well written, but there's no real dramatic tension between them that is central to the story.

PT Anakin and Padme - makes no sense to begin with, since Anakin is a creepy stalker and therefore Padme must be a dolt.

Clone Wars Anakin and Padme - rewriting Anakin's character to make him far more likeable and attractive, and less creepy, solves the logic problem of why their relationship even exists. And as it turns out, they do have a real dramatic tension between them that is central to the story, so they win.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a trick question.

You might as well ask "Mr. Ed and Wilbur, or Anakin and Padme?

The winner is the horse, of course.

"Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien, or Anakin and Padme?"

Come on, you'd at least stop for a moment to think about the Chin and Coco going at it. They win, again.

"Susan Boyle gargling a cup of Andrew Llloyd Weber's spit, or Anakin and Padme?"

Even there, Anakin and Padme lose on the basis of being more of a gross-out.

There's not a match-up those two can win.

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess something to take into consideration is that the Anakin / Padme relationship is actually relevant to the story being told whereas Spock / Uhura is thrown in there 'just because'.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Not at all. A poorly-written and badly-acted relationship being central to a lame story as in the case of Anakin/Padme is inferior to a relationship as a minor subplot that involves two attractive, believable actors in a good movie like Abrams's Star Trek. :cool:

7. Temis the Vorta

Even there, the way it was relevant in the PT (Anakin is a mommy's boy who throws a fit because Padme is doomed to die via plot contrivance) is moronic. TCW is developing a better storyline in which Padme and Anakin's differing personalities are leading them on separate paths that of course have to lead to the events of ROTS but I suspect in a way that puts a whole new spin on things. (And I'm rooting for a whole-cloth reboot of ROTS to delete the more nonsensical elements, such as Padme deciding to die despite have two newborn kids to worry about.)

8. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that was a pretty awful choice. If there was anything that would convince Padme that she had a reason to pull through and live would be that she would soon give birth to her children who, as far as she knows, only have her as the sole surviving parent to care for them...

9. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Can you blame Padme? She used to be a queen, an influential senator. The script of ROTS had her just standing in the background fretting and crying like an irrelevant housewife in some 1950s comedy.

10. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I felt more for both Spock/Uhura and George/Winona than I did for Anakin/Padme.

11. Temis the Vorta

That should have given her even more reason to live. Somehow, she was going to jump realities and murder George Lucas. :rommie:

12. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much as I want to agree with you, the instant I remembered that Padme said, "You're breaking my heart!," I gave it to Spock and Uhura.

...but James Earl Jones yelling NAAAOOOOOO might win it back for Team Star Wars.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

:)

14. Temis the Vorta

If you're rooting for Team Star Wars, it's best not to bring up the topic of dialogue. :rommie:

15. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Wait. I have the answer.

Uhura....and Padme.

16. Temis the Vorta

aaand Anakin and Spock would be another answer. Anyone up for a comparative Google search? :rommie:

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You win the thread!

18. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

It would be more appropriate to say that he wins the Internet!

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL
    LOLLER
    LOLLEST

20. Admiral Buzzkill

I like the cut of your jib, mister.