Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WOW as in bad if you ask me. utterly pointless really.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

ThunderAeroI: For your spoiler tag, could you change the warning to something less vague than "My thoughts," or at least specify before the code that the contents deal with the end of the game?

As for the endings...
    I quite like the "Synthesis" option. It's the only one that feels appropriate to me.

That said, I don't understand why I went to all that effort of uniting the species of the galaxy, only for the galaxy to end up fragmented at the conclusion of the game in all scenarios since the mass relays always get destroyed by the release of the Crucible's energy.

I despise the "Destroy Synthetics" option, at least in relation to this first Shepard I imported. He went to so much effort to convince the quarians that the geth could be trusted if they would be given a chance, he helped Legion spread geth individuality, and he nurtured the birth of a new synthetic intelligence in EDI - but his only option to destroy the Reapers meant the geth had to die too. He couldn't take that course because it would've undermined his firm belief that the geth did not deserve death.

The "Control Reapers" option just leaves me confused. How can Shepard control the Reapers if he's dead? In this ending, does Shepard replace the original Catalyst, meaning only his physical body dies? This is the only option that leaves the Citadel intact (albeit with its arms fully closed), so if Shepard's consciousness does survive as the new Catalyst, perhaps he'll reopen the Citadel later and assist the various species now stranded in the Sol System in the construction of a new mass relays...

Speaking of confusion... Why in hell would Joker have taken the Normandy through a mass relay during the battle for Earth? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, I was never irrevocably attached to a hope that Shepard would live at the end of the trilogy (although I am sad that Shepard and Liara never will be able to have those little blue children). As cliché as it was, I also don't have any objection to the epilogue bit with the Storyteller and the child.

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So many people are complaining about the Mass Relays getting cooked. In no uncertain terms, I think that's crooked. Sure, they're the backbone of the setting, but that's the point. The Reapers put them there - they're the walls that keep us developing along a predetermined path (as well as the rest of the tech we use). After the big deal made of that in ME1, and the big deal made of self-determination and self-improvement, and making your own path in the second game (Legion/Geth Civilization, etc.), keeping the relays would be a cheap cop out to make sure the Mass Effect setting is mostly the way it was left. That the toys get put in the toy box, as it were. Defeating the Reapers isn't enough. Their designs need to be demolished, to make way for our own. For our future.

As for the endings themselves, each one is fitting, in a certain way. They do lack something of a coda. Seeing Joker and co. taking the first step into the brave new world that Shepard makes possible is a bit of a start, but everything is left on a cliffhanger. What happens to everyone? I can't help but wonder endlessly what happened to my whole squad, what happened to Hackett, or the fleets trapped in the Sol system, or dozens of other characters and places. It wrapped up too little maybe. That's really the only thing about the endings that left me feeling sour.

4. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's some number over 4000. For reference, I got it at 4400.

Yup. Hopefully they can just patch it out of the game entirely, but I doubt they'll do that.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Still think the MP is the weakest part of the entire thing and is badly designed.

In theory a good idea.. Multiplayer is big these days and EA/Bioware apparently want to cash in on that, no gripe here from me but if you do a MP in an otherwise Single Player story game please do it right.

Loading times are abysmal but the worst part is the Ready button.. i got frustrated with that in the Demo and am frustrated by it in the game. If you have a single player who's not paying attention you can't start the game. Sure you can kick him but that either leaves you with a man short in the game or the others don't use that feature.

Seriously.. did anyone think this through? I'm used to the MW3 system.. 60 seconds to get your shit together before the game starts automatically if you're ready or not. If players drop out and the lobby isn't full the game starts too but the system populates the running game automatically if people are looking for that game type so teams can be evened out.

Simple, elegant and it works.. the way it is now with ME3 is a pain in the ass (but otherwise the MP is quite fine.. no technical or otherwise design issues).

6. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

It's here, it's here! :D :p

So... this issue with having to re-do the facial customization, does it happen all the time, or only in certain cases? And have they released a patch for it?

7. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I am going to grab a copy of ME3, but I gotta finish playing the first two first!

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

This is annoying. In the old games I would read the subtitles then hit A to skip to the next line, cutting my sitting time in half. This game doesn't let me do that. Is that because I picked "RPG Mode" and not Action mode or something?

9. PsychoPere

The correct command has been X on all three games. ;)

BioWare is working on a fix, but it's not released yet. See the link for a couple of suggestions for PC and Xbox 360 players on recreating faces (there's also a suggestion here, which is a slightly different take on the second suggestion at the BioWare Social Networks).

If you imported an ME1 character into ME2 and did any editing to your character's face in ME2, then you should be able to import into ME3 without issue. The problem appears to be ME1 imports into ME2 that were not edited in ME2 (ME1 face codes do not transfer directly into ME3, and ME1 face codes would not have been updated to ME2 face codes unless one opened the customization editor in ME2).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Aaaaah, thanks!

I finished the Earth-Mars-Citadel opening and can free explore now. I recall reading somewhere that the new planet scanning thing can prevent mini-missions from being played, how does that work? I do the scan pulse, it shows me which planet has something, I scan it, I pick something up. Where does this lead into mini-missions?

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

My copy arrived yesterday and so far, my impression is that they've totally blown the previous two games out of the water. Not just the big stuff, but the little details too. The Citadel for example feels much more like a living place. For one thing, people can move around! Seriously. It makes a *huge* difference.

The only things that's bothering me is a few broken quests I've run into. Both on the Citadel and both involving major returning characters from ME2. A quick look at the bioware forum shows that I'm not alone and this is happening on all platforms Hopefully a fix will turn up soon! There's also the issues of sidequests becoming unavailable if you don't complete them before certain points. I was actually aware of this already, but still managed to get caught out.

So, just in case anyone else doesn't know yet; make sure you do *all* the little sidequests before you do a mission marked "priority" because they progress the main plot and things tend to change after you do them. Can't really be more specific without spoilers!

12. PsychoPere

I think you might be referring to journal entries that ask you to retrieve various items from scanned planets, then return those items to people on the Citadel. You can receive those missions from ambient dialogue while on the Citadel, or after finding a given item by scanning its planet before you've even heard that someone needs it. These items will assist in War Assets for various reasons (some are simply for morale; some will inspire people to their better natures; some will be useful for the big "win the war" project; and so on).

13. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The thing to remember is that doing priority missions can cut you off from certain side quests.

14. PsychoPere

I'm playing as my adept FemShep now, and I think I like the biotic punch for melee even more than the omnitool blade.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I got caught by the "do all side quests before priority missions" thing earlier. I had about five side quests knocked out because I didn't finish them before going off to do one of the main story missions. Kind of a dumb mistake for an RPG vet, but I've still got a ton more playthroughs to do after this one, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

16. T.Geiger

T.Geiger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Which seems like something they should have caught. How many people would edit their character between games? Especially when trying to "edit" a character means creating a whole new face (or at least it did the couple times I tried).

17. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well i bought this yestarday for the PS3, today its going back for a refund, what a complete mess, the game chugs along like its running on a 1 speed cd rom from 1999, the frame rate is just horrendous, and it froze the machine 3 times stone dead in the first 1 hour i played it.............what the hell did bioware do to this game.

Anyway the guy in the shop when i phoned said he would give me a full refund which was good......and rather quickly too, no doubt i am not the first to take this back.

I assume the PC and 360 version run ok.

19. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ I'm playing it on the PS3 and it works just fine. I do have the downloadable version though, not the Blu-ray one, so that could be making a difference.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Maybe the DVD is faulty or your drive.. it's the first thing i hear about something like this. However it's not surprising he'll take it back.. either he can sell it off at a small discount since it's opened or the retailer he got it from takes it back without question.