Heroes: "Upon This Rock" & "Let It Bleed" 1/4/10 - Grading/Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Jan 4, 2010.

?

Grading

1. Upon This Rock - Excellent

9.1%
  2. Upon This Rock - Above average

12.1%
  3. Upon This Rock - Average

45.5%
  4. Upon This Rock - Below average

18.2%
  5. Upon This Rock - Poor

12.1%
  6. Let It Bleed - Excellent

6.1%
  7. Let It Bleed - Above average

15.2%
  8. Let It Bleed - Average

54.5%
  9. Let It Bleed - Below average

9.1%
  10. Let It Bleed - Poor

6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Claire joins the carnival but begins to suspect Samuel has a secret agenda. Bennet recruits Matt in his battle against Samuel, while Hiro goes to help a friend.

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroes: "Upon This Rock" & "Let It Bleed" 1/4/10 - Grading/Discuss

I've got a theory on where they're going given the nature of Samuel's ability.

Think Asteroid M or Genosha.

Samuel is gathering enough people with abilities to give him enough power to create a new island on which people with abilities can live openly.

3. Aragorn

So who's still watching? :lol:

4. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I'm still watching, only to vote Poor when all is said and done ;)

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Likewise, but hey you never know.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm watching till they admit that they're gonna use Multiple Man's powers to bring Nathan back to life. Then finally at long last I will be able to declare victory and give up in utter disgust! :rommie::rommie::rommie:

And here's proof positive that humanity is totally frakked in the head: Heroes is the most pirated show on the planet.

OTOH, Dexter is #4. So most people have terrible taste but many have very good taste. :bolian:

I like the part where they claim True Blood has over 12M viewers. For an HBO series, holy cow!!! :eek:

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

They shouldn't put Hayden in situations where she needs to act.

8. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I give the first hour a Below Average, and the second hour an Average.

There were problems with both episodes, one of the biggest being they were boring, but I'm feeling generous tonight.

9. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt its gonna happen, Kring's already said in an interview that Pasdar is not coming back. Of course he tends to lie & stuff...

it was another typical 2 hours of Heroes. Lots of plot fail & characters acting stupid. I like how Noah decided to be all friendly with Edgar after he beats the crap out of him. Slick. The second episode should have been called The Search for Sylar's Shirt.

10. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gave both parts Average althought Part II was probably a slight bit stronger.

When it came to Nathan's sendoff the ep said all the right things but it just didn't resonate. These sort of character moments have historically fallen flat on this show since it rarely tried to develop relationships in any meaningful way due largely to having such a large cast and being mostly plot-driven. I never really was invested in Claire/Nathan for instance since rarely did they interact.

These episodes also highlighted the fact that this season has been drawn out and padded out with filler. We could have gotten here much quicker but then we wouldn't have had 19 episodes this season. Take the whole Nathan/Sylar "arc" in the first half which really was a pointless thread. Or the Hiro/Ando padding where we were treated to more tired sci-fi phrases and Hiro acting like a child. Or Peter/Claire going into a tense standoff.

I did briefly get a kick out of Samuel and Sylar's confrontation. The mystery surrounding Samuel's PLAN was intriguing. I'm thinking he wants to wipe out all life on Earth and create a new paradise with the help of Mossman made only for those with abilities.

Lydia's ability much like Emma's is arbitrary and rather lame. Angela continues to be wasted. I was going to complain about the absence of Heidi and the boys but then I saw the dark haired woman who never showed her face with two kids and I guess that was meant to be her--I guess budget concerns prevented bringing back Rena Sofer. Claire is an idiot. She leaves college and her gf to go pick up trash at a carnival?!? Oh but now she realizes something is up with Samuel and all the other not subtle hints escaped her. Now she is back at college.

5 episodes left and if NBC was smart that'd be it.

11. Aragorn

Has Kring ever patted himself on the back for a job well done? That would be the ultimate lie... to himself! :)

12. MacWin

MacWin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is it just me or can Peter retain multiple powers now ?

13. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess... Ive lost track of what he can do now...

notice during the Sylar/tatoo lady scene they showed glimpses of Matt & Nathan being all lovey dovey with family. I bet this it gonna be Sylar's newest "crutch", he cant kill b/c he has traces of goodness in him from the people that posessed him. Blah.

14. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

I realized too late that the show came back tonight so I didn't catch it; I'll Hulu it in the next few days. I don't know why I still watch this show, but I guess in the end I just can't get enough of the WHOOOOSH sound at commercials and the sometimes still-inventive camerawork. The actors (the good ones at least ;)) can occasionally shine through the shlock the writers give them, too. Hey, maybe if they get a fifth season, there can be a story where Hiro learns what it means to be a hero! And Ando can come with!

15. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

;)Claire + Sylar that sinks not only is a mass killer he is after jall bait

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

First half - poor.

Second half - above average.

:rommie:

Typical schizo Heroes. This two parter encapsulates everything that's wrong with the show in the first half - pointless, boring meandering plotlines and characters the writers have no good ideas for - and its core strength in the second half - on-target characterization that could be used to form great story arcs if only they could do that for more than in one episode every, oh, four or five?

The scenes with Peter and Claire and with Samuel and Sylar were particularly strong. Samuel is a hard character to get a handle on - Robert Knepper does his job but the writing has been letting him down - now, finally he's being given some material that lets us see Samuel in all his complicated and shifty glory. I also respect Samuel's guts at calmly facing down Sylar, having absolutely no reason to guess that Sylar wouldn't slice open his head, and then saying, "hey let's be friends." Sylar may be crazy, but Sammy's insaaaaaane.

And yeah, they can't let go of Nathan's-in-Sylar's-brain, can they? I knew they'd backpedal on that. :rommie: I don't care what Kring said, the foreshadowing here is obvious. Poor Sylar doesn't realize the reason his subconscious gave him a tattoo of Claire is because she's his daughter. Well that should pour some ice cold water on his plans...if this show has the guts to go there...
    Well that did have a purpose - to allow Claire to see for herself that Peter is headed off a cliff and warn him to stop (a warning which inevitably will be ignored). Maybe they'll even remember to follow this plotline up in the future.
    No, still one at a time. I guess the Haitian's power allowed him to knock out the cop responding to the hostage situation.

17. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm at the point I fast forward though half the episode. Heroes used to be one of my favorite shows. Wow.

18. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Son and I soldiering on, but so few WTF moments. Never thought I'd say it, but perhaps a dignified exit after this season would be best.

19. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still watch the show, mostly out of some lingering sense of obligation. I liked it better when the little blondes Daphne and Elle were around.

I hate to ask, but why was Nathan's corpse so well-preserved in "Let It Bleed"? Has the "real" (dead) Nathan been in cold storage for the past few weeks?

20. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I can't even dredge up an emotion over not knowing it was on. Oh well, Mythbusters was fun.