(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I still want another shot at Barca. I want to know if they could have beaten us 11 vs 11. Of course, our respective squads have gone in different directions since but we struggled to get in to the Champions League that season too.

Yeah, we got there because Arsene completely abandoned his principles to do it. It did not hurt that Juventus had three players sent off over the two legs, though, and Jens was playing as well as any goalkeeper I've ever seen.

There was that funny incident where a squirrel walked on to the pitch and he went in to mad rage at it for distracting him, that's how up for it he was. :techman:

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Oh yeah I remember the squirrel! A massive argument broke out in the pub as there were a lot of drunk people who disagreed whether it was a squirrel, a rabbit or a large rat. It was amazing.

See I enjoyed the way Arsenal got to that final. When Rangers did it last year I was ready to declare war on Scotland such was my fury. Double standards eh.

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking from memory, for the Madrid games at least, I'm still not entirely sure how those ended up only 1-0. Arsenal created endless chances, and for saying that the game at Highbury was 0-0, it was probably one of the most entertaining 0-0s there's been in recent memory.

Arsenal should have won that year, but for being down to 10 men, they would have.

4. HappyDayRiot

The question now of course is who on earth is going to step up and win the UEFA Cup?

5. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

Looks open, and it's strange to say, but Manchester United look to be in the weakest position of all the teams.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Arsenal, next season. :)

Seriously, if we get stuck playing in the Europa League we had better bloody well win it! The "Big Four" have been dominating the Champions League for a few years now, if one of them gets stuck in the Europa League then surely they'd be a big fish in a small pond.

7. HappyDayRiot

Like Milan... and that didn't end well.

I mean... Claudio Pizarro of all people!

8. oojason

oojason Commander Red Shirt

the savouring of the defeat of Madrid is for us fans who don't take to heart the media who want to talk about Rafa's contract situation straight after a fine away victory vs one of the world's biggest teams, and virtually ignore the game itself.

ps - I saw no swandive by Babel - there was contact, though I see what you say:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKLgBfg_tMw

9. oojason

oojason Commander Red Shirt

10. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't knock him - he's the Alan Shearer of the Bundesliga!

Then again, even Voronin is scoring screamers every week over there...

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah now I see why Liverpool won't win the title, it's cos poor Torres hasn't been well...forget for a moment that Utd lost Roony, Ronaldo etc etc...

Seriously will the day ever come when Benitez runs out of excuses?

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Aam back guys those I wish Billy D would bugger off, he wants Leroy Lita today :eek: I guess he's missed the point that scoring goals is not a problem for us but having decent wingers and full backs is a FUCKING huge problem.

oh well still beat Reading ;).

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I thought he was after Lita because you've lost Tyson to injury?

Trying to sign decent attacking players rather than fullbacks/midfielders sounds odd for Billy, so you're not happy even though you beat Reading? Bet Davies will get a great reception from the Preston fans tonight...not!Hoping we can beat Swansea tonight, should be a good game I reckon.

14. HappyDayRiot

I hope you beat Swansea and Preston tonight as well!

I really hope Cardiff crush Barnsley tonight as well. Seeing as the entire top half of the league seem to have forgotten to win, now would be a good time to cash in on those games in hand, especially at home to a potential relegatee.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yup feel free to slaughter Barnsley for us :D

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Yay! We scored a goal! :D

(And then shipped one down the other end seconds later. :rolleyes: )

17. HappyDayRiot

It's all going eeirely well at half time in practically every game.

I do not trust this. I do not trust this at all.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

we won but so did the saints, Southampton are really annoying me now :lol:

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And we drew despite being 2 up, bit annoying but Swansea aren't challenging for a play off place for nothing I guess. Annoyed that Forest won, and S'ton, and others, but quite a few teams near the bottom lost as well at least. We got a point at least.

Think the relegation places (Charlton aside) will go to the wire like last year.

20. HappyDayRiot

Typical - as soon as Cardiff pick a much needed win Reading, Burnley and Wolves win as well! Well thanks Forest and Derby anyway :)

Apparently last night was the first time Cardiff have scored 3 all season. I find that unbelievable.