Sci-fi greenlights STARGATE: UNIVERSE

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Ghostface1701, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

After backtracking and noting when he left and how SG-1 changed around that time, I'd say he was responsible for a lot of what gave Stargate its unique identity at the start. After he left, the replacements tried to keep up the same thing, but it ended up seeming hollow, because they were just imitating someone else's vision, that apparently they didn't understand.

That's what they need to change about Stargate. The people in charge now need to come up with their own vision, assuming they have a vision at all.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

or huts that look like they belong in some living history farm or even like an Amish community

Colonel- is that man making sasperilla

:lol:

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

And they need to stick with it. Wright and Cooper seemed to have a pretty strong idea for Atlantis in the first season, even hiring a talented new writer or two who got the idea. But their participation slowly wained over the course of season two and season three, finally giving way to the control of the show by Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, who had their own, different ideas for the show (or, worse, the same ideas again and again).

A new Stargate series needs a vision that's both strong and consistent.

4. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lol roger that...

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

How would they dial a 9 chevron address at random?

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I would imagine that you'd have to have a specific control crystal for the DHD or you'd need to reprogram the dialling computer like you do for dialling eight symbol addresses.

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yeah, not exactly something you can do by mistake, or do at random.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^It's why the Wraith can't dial in to the Milky Way gate network too. No matter how much power they can generate, they don't know how to reprogram a DHD.

The SGC gate computer can dial other galaxies because O'Neill, with his head full of Ancient knowledge, reprogrammed it with that ability in "The Fifth Race" so he could dial the Asgard home galaxy. I assume that Ida is perhaps closer than Pegasus which is why Jack was able to use the naquahdah out of a staff weapon rather than a ZPM.

9. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, this is likely to be another 'go stick your head in the noose and see what happens' SGA-style expedition. That I can live with. However, I'd find it difficult to believe that the SGC would send a group of 20-somethings on such a potentially dangerous mission without any senior military or civilian supervision/oversight. Granted, they could have a situation where the expedition's senior leadership are killed, like Colonel Sumner was on SGA, that made the way for Major Sheppard's advancement.

10. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait a sec, so instead of getting their fingers out of their asses, they are again cancelling one show and piggy backing on the success of two shows prior...

Does this sound familiar or am i missing somethng?

Seriously, Atlantis is good, not the best show ever, but still, good.

Im a stargate fan, always have been i just dont have the time to post here. I only heard of the cancellation from someones signature.

Its just shit.

And then they spin off in another show with a shit sounding plot.

I dunno, i hate network execs, they piss me off.

11. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

I can see a way to have a recurring villain. They can be introduced slowly over the course of the first couple of episodes.

When this new ship enters a galaxy it can be noticed by a race that is aware of the ancients and their technology. They are also aware that such a ship has not been seen for century's. This peaks their interest. For whatever reason they decide that they must have this ship.
    The writers would have to figure out a way for them to follow the ship. Something like... when the ship passes through a gate there is enough residual energy left for a short time for another ship to pass through. Perhaps they even get a spy on board in an early episode that aids them in following and trying to capture the ship. This might only be good for a season or two though.

I'll wait till I hear more about this show before I pass any kind of judgment.
    The little bit I've read about it so far does not fill me with much hope at this point.

I'm sure that no matter what I read or hear, as a Stargate fan, I'll tune in and give it a chance. Even if I'm not blown away by it initially, I'll probably give it at least a season to find some kind of footing.

12. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, then they join forces to find the way to Earth. Sounds like a good idea ;)

13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm...sounds like a good way to introduce the Furlings! :alienblush:

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Why the fuction of the ships was to other lifeforms like hte Ancients and they already knew about the Furlings, the ships should be heading away from anything familar.

15. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

Anyone else feel this is just a mixture of Stargate Atlantis, Star Trek Voyager & Farscape

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If the nickname Stargate: Voyager that has been thrown around lately is any indication...

Yes.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Is there anything they could come up that couldn't possibly be compared to another show? :wtf:

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

At this stage, probably not. All we have to go off of is a paragraph. Little more than a log line. When so little is known, the comparison is easy to draw.

When more details start to emerge, and especially when the pilot airs, then the comparisons will either be forgotten or solidified. No need to get all defensive about this. Yet.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I loved that "yet" part since it's been happening ever since the first news of this series leaked some time ago long before the series was greenlit. The same thing was said about Atlantis and I don't think Atlantis was anything like Voyager.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

new wiseass leader

"No we can't call it the Enterprise"