Jurassic Park 4 becomes 'Jurassic World'

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Sep 11, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The one way I think the idea could work is if you jumped forward in time 30 or 40 years and made it more of a post-apocalyptic movie, where the dinosaurs have completely taken over the planet again and humanity is now desperately trying to survive these things.

I'd rather see that than something where it's just a bunch of dinosaurs attacking our modern day world again (stomping through suburban neighborhoods, chomping on clueless beachgoers, etc).

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^Interesting idea, but it hardly sounds like something that should fall under the Jurassic Park franchise unless they're just hoping to lure people in.

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Well, just going by the previous films, there are already raptors loose somewhere around San Diego (the T-Rex couldn't have taken out the crew of the InGen ship in The Lost World) --though that ball was totally dropped by Spielberg-- and pterosaurs flying toward Central America while a hundred armed Marines just smile at them from machine gun equipped helicopters at the end of JPIII for some reason.

InGen would have to be broken as a corporation by this point after so many blunders, but there's still that rival company that was hinted at in the original Jurassic Park (the guys Nedry was planning on delivering the dino embryos to). I could see them setting up a dino smuggling operation and bringing the dinosaurs back to their lab(s) on the mainland around the world, where some of them are able to escape, either on their own or more likely with the help of idiots like Vince Vaughn's character. That way you could introduce a more varied mix of escaped dinosaurs than just raptors and pterosaurs if you want, which could get boring.

I could see the military bringing in people like Grant, Sattler, Malcolm, Harding, etc. as experts on dinosaur behavior so they can hunt them down and capture or kill (last resort with the scientists around, probably) them with special forces teams. Sort of like a fast reaction force to reports of dinosaurs on the loose. The kids from the previous movies could even get in on the action now that they're all adults (Joe Mazzello has a pretty prolific acting career going now).

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think one of the script writers is from Rise of the Planet of the Apes. So there is a chance that the 4th one is about the world being over taken, then have a sequel where we lose and the last one is when the dinosaurs retake the planet.

The plan for the first h4th movie was going to be some company found the shaving creme can and started cloning weird dinosaur hybrids and such. Even though the shaving can would have long gone bad. Then the guy from Bones would be a power ranger training some dino-human-dog hybrids to kill the dinosaurs and terrorists or something dumb.

Here is the concept art of the canceled movie...

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/human-dinosaur-hybrids-in-abandoned-jurassic-park-4-concept-art/

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I believe one of the idea was at the beginning of the film there would be a baseball game. Typical midwest little league game

Then Dinosaurs start running around the baseball field.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I like the idea of jumping ahead a few decades, but not into a post-Apocalyptic world; rather into a post-post-Apocalyptic world where Humans have made peace with the return of dinosaurs. The dinosaurs could be domesticated and trained to take the place of lost technology. For example, the main character could have a job in a quarry that uses trained sauropods as cranes.

7. Samurai8472

...That's called the Flintstones

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Nothing gets by you.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I wanna benefit the doubt, but gotta admit your thinking is entirely sound. Can we get a faithful adaptation of Doyle's The Lost World, already?! :p

[​IMG]

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Somebody always beats me to the best ideas. :(

11. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

12. Samurai8472

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if they just renamed it so they could do a reboot of the original...

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Don't they have a script?

A reboot would probably be more successful if they used the name "Jurassic Park." Its the reason the Karate Kid reboot wasn't Kung Fu Kid (although they briefly looked into it). I think the Jurassic World name is because nobody likes sequels with numbers anymore.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Especially the number four. Trilogies are an esteemed concept, but I can think offhand of several franchises that stopped numbering their titles with their fourth entry: Mission: Impossible, Terminator Salvation, Rambo... not to mention Fast & Furious, the only F&F sequel not to have a number or a secondary title. So... yeah, Jurassic Park 4 was never gonna be the final title.

16. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I wish I could disagree with you, but you have the history of forced movie sequels backing you up.

Aside from that, I am not a fan of movie series that take breaks of a decade or more between installments. Yes, I eagerly awaited the Star Wars prequels, and then Indy Jones 4, but those served to illustrate a sad truth: When you come back to make a new installment after so much time, it just doesn't feel the same. The best sequels come out between one and five years after the previous film (and naturally flow from the story of the previous one rather than trying to copy it).

17. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

18. Alidar Jarok

The last Rocky was ok. Quite often, sequels one after the other start to run out of steam (Rocky 5 is a good example). Sometimes, inspiration can lead to a good new movie. Usually not a great one, but, let's be honest, there's nothing great about either Jurassic Park sequel.

I do hope some effort will be made to capture the magic of the original. Certainly, a good story will help, but part of the appeal of the original was that it wasn't a monster movie, it was a movie with wonderful animals (who also happened to want to kill you, but that's besides the point). I give the second one credit for trying even though the execution was poor. The third one didn't really try and that's somewhat disappointing. I hope the fourth isn't just a monster movie.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

To be honest I frankly find the first movie to be cheesy as hell now. It still has some really powerful and magical moments, but the overall tone is just a little too cute and sweet and family friendly for my taste.

I know it's been said a million times, but looking back, I really wish Spielberg had stayed closer to the darker tone of the book. I didn't feel that way so much as a kid, but now I definitely do.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  20. Alidar Jarok

Well, I don't necessarily disagree with that - certainly any reboot should. However, even the book was able to admire the dinosaurs.