Would You Be Ok With Khan Being A CGI Ricardo Montalban?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shilliam Watner, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

This is a rumor over at TrekMovie that was started by a presumed production assistant with IDM Comics that created a heated discussion about it. In the trailer there is a scene where two men are seen walking out of a room filled with pods (crew of the Botany Bay). One guy on the left has broad shoulders, a ponytail and wearing what is presumed to be a white Sikh coat. People are presuming it is Khan. I wouldn't mind a CGI Kahn if they got it right. After all, they got a CGI Marlon Brando right for 'Superman Returns'.

2. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Dont forget CGI Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy and CGI Arnie in Terminator Salvation!

I dont have a problem with it as long as it is brief, I think there are a few years to go yet before the uncanny valley is traversed :)

3. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Very well put - also, wideshot only.

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I joked about this in one of the threads here a few days ago.
    I'm not against that kind of thing in general but I have to agree it would have to be a brief appearance, distant shot and no lines.

And I can't see showing Khan alive and well and not using him extensively in this movie or the next.
    So to be honest I don't think a cgi Khan is going to happen.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it would be ridiculous. What's wrong with hiring a flesh and blood actor?

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Maybe if we can get some of Ricardo Montalbans DNA (off a hair brush?) and some Temporal RNA we can create a clone which will undergo rapid ageing that could be ready in time for a third Trek movie?

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Make sure you do some rewriting to enhance the chest area.

8. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

They're not going to do that regardless of what fans speculate.

Also, the guy didn't even appear to have a ponytail, unless it was tucked into his collar, which I don't think could be discerned.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It would never work. People give far too much credit to computers when they propose things like this. They assume computers are magic and can do anything, but that's very wrong. No matter how photorealistic a CGI creation is, it's still reliant on a human actor (and human animators) to give it voice and movement and personality. The computer is just a tool operated by human artists, interpreting a human performance. It might look like Montalban, but it wouldn't sound like him -- the technology to computer-simulate a natural-sounding human voice is still years away at least -- and it wouldn't act like him. It would just be an impersonation, no matter how much CGI trickery you threw into it.

You see, Brando in Superman Returns was not a full CGI creation. They took footage of the real Marlon Brando that was cut out of Superman II and modified it with CG, but the voice, the performance, was the real Brando.

Besides, why would they bother? They've recast everyone else -- they even had two different actors as Spock in the same movie.

Not to mention that it's still just a rumor that Khan will be in the movie at all.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Just hire an actor.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a technical exercise I would not be averse to it but what would be the point otherwise? Would they then use a fully CG Khan when they [inevitably] get around to using the character as a primary villain?

12. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ridiculous.

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Only if the entire cast was CG.

14. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Well since you asked...

That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard about this movie.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, but in those cases the actors were still living.

16. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

Would I be happy with a CGI Montalban?...

[​IMG]

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Is there a link to this?

18. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

It's not true. . . just some overzealous Khan fanbois latching onto a theory that supports their Khan-centric view of the movie. . .

in comment 114. of this thread someone named Gilberto claimed that Khan would be CGI. . . in comment 117, someone noticed that there is a Gilberto who is a production assistant at IDW, and it snowballed from there. . .

In this thread everyone who blithely assumed that Gilberto was from IDW was forced to eat crow when it was proven that he really is just Gilberto from Rio de Janeiro who was just pulling theories out of his behind like every other trek fan who has seen the trailers. . .see specifically comment 162.

Nothing to see here. . .

~FS

19. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Sweet baby Jebus ... no!

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Oh god, 900 more threads about whether Ricardo Montalban's boobs are fake (in the original they're real, and they're magnificent) only this time they're actually CG titties. The mass confusion and anger between those saying real or fake or both will tear Trek fandom apart.