how do people feel about robert orci and Kurtzmen returning?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Sep 18, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As most of you know JJ Abrams will not be directing the next star trek movie and Damon Lindelof will not be coming back. My question is how do people feel about orci and kurtzmen returning? I myself loved the 2009 and into darkness movies and I think that Rupert Wyatt is a great choice to replace Abrams and I have confidence since Lindelof is leaving that orci and Kurtzmen can deliver a decent script for the next movie.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I liked both Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness, so I have no issues with them coming back for a third go round.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I got no problems with that.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Fine by me.

5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I've enjoyed their work so far.

6. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With Trek 2009 most of my issues with the film were actually to my chagrin were explained in scenes that were unfortunately cut from the film. So the writing by and large wasn't the issue there.

With STID some issues occurred in terms of the passage of time that kinda irked me, and that's a problem i've noticed with Lindelof's work .So if he's not coming back, then that problem should fade away.

I have no issue, but I would put to them both... Put them on a mission of discovery for the next one. Embody the Star Trek intro. That would be a new place to take the films. not since TMP have we really had that. Up to this point we've done time travel, earning our wings, and a 9/11 allegory. Now... Let's see what's out there...

And put in a good salute to Star Trek as a whole. :cool:

7. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No issue whatsoever. Infact, looking very forward to the next movie being written by them :)

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm happy with what they've done so far, I say once more unto the breach! :D

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Why not. It's been fun so far.

10. Andymator

Andymator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm definitely looking forward to their third Star Trek movie!

11. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

No problem at all.. Bring it!

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Be afraid.

Be very afraid. :p

13. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Make it so.

14. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would absolutely welcome it with open arms.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

With Lindelof gone, I'm very cool with it.

16. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They got it right with Star Trek 09, and they were somewhat offski with STID so I'm a bit ambivalent. My main concern is where they're getting inspiration from the Star Trek source material; either from movies of TV series or perhaps both. Start poking around TNG, DS9 and VOY; I'm sure you will find something interesting and easy to adapt to the third film.

To be honest I only have three requests of them; more McCoy. Leonard McCoy is not one of my favourite ST characters but in the JJ universe he's one of my favourites simply because of what Kurl Urban has done with this very limited role. If STID gave Scotty more to do, which I liked, then I hope the third film will give McCoy more to do.

The second request would be to place Kirk and Spock a bit more in the background and focus on the other main characters. Otherwise it's going to be the Kirk/Spock show. Consider if Kirk and Spock were opposite ends of a taut string, McCoy would be pulling the centre of the string to get Kirk and Spock to converge. Or at least that's how it worked in TOS. That kind of dynamic or perhaps a foursome of characters would be interesting.

My third and final request is to end the cringeworthy Uhura/Spock romance. It did not work in ST 09 and it got in the way in STID.

17. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I love the Spock/Uhura romance, I do agree we need to see more McCoy. Karl Urban is flawless.

18. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You should see Karl Urban in Dredd (the 2012 movie), that guy can act! Now I may be a Trekkie but sometimes I want to see total action pawnage and an entirely different fictional universe. Dredd is like the classic action films and it has pacing and moods. If STID had that kind of dramatic action, plus an ending which did not fizzle, it would be a MONSTER!

So for the next movie I want these writers to combine the style of Dredd with the look of the JJ universe and the higher aspects of Star Trek. Dredd ain't just a dumb action flick either it has poignant moments and in a mere 90 minutes it totally sells you to this universe. Though Orci and Kurtzmen may want to go easy on the violence, Dredd is brutal!

Alas these are only pipe dreams...

19. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

To be expected I think. Nice to know that the 3rd of the three stooges will not be returning. I understand that using Khan was his idea. Good to see a resource like that gone.

A couple requests?

- Throw some techobabble in there that eliminates the stupid Khan superblood thing.

- Same for the brief-case sized transwarp thingy...

- End Spock/Uhura, please just end it.

- Oh, and an origional story would be nice.

Thank you.

20. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

They've done just fine, and I like Spock/Uhura. It was teased at in the original timeline.