Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

83.3%
  2. Above average

11.5%
  3. Average

2.6%
  4. Below average

1.3%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

2. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

I have not read the books but as I understand it one of the biggest differences between them and the show was how this whole 3 season Robb/Talisa/Katlyn story. The show runners designed all of it to lead to this point and be more brutal by fleshing out Robb more along the way and changing the end to be even worse.

3. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Knew the Red Wedding was coming but it was hard to watch. Stabbing Talisa in the stomach a bunch of times almost made me sick. That was a bit over the top.

4. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Definitely read the books, cbspock. So much more depth, detail and scale in them. The show feels like the Cliffs Notes version of the story by comparison. There are 5 books currently out and 2 yet to be written. This season covers just the first half of book 3.

5. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKqF8lg_M7A[/yt]

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Repeatedly stabbing a pregnant women in the stomach to begin the massacre didn't convey the vileness of the act adequately enough?

I think the wrongness of killing people you welcomed into your home as guests was portrayed well enough without quoting minutiae from ancient tradition and law, and there's still another episode and the next season to discuss it anyway if they feel the need.

As far as the episode goes, I knew what was coming, but it was still a punch in the gut, if you'll pardon the expression. I haven't felt this way from a show/movie since walking out silent and defeated from the ending of Seven. Once the doors were closed and the musicians started playing The Rains of Castamere, I got chills from the ominous buildup to the inevitable. But still, stabbing Talisa like that was just devastating, as was Cat's plea for Robb to leave.

Sad as it was, I immediately watched the episode again. It was excellent but horrifying, but it's the mark of a great show that it can walk that line effectively.

7. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

The Red Wedding made me quit the books, to be honest. I made it to the end of book 3, but was far too frustrated with Martin after that. I know it shows that he doesn't follow the herd and he's a surprising writer and all that, but if I want depressing literature where everyone dies or suffers, I'd read any number of Russian novels.

8. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They'd have to drop a couple dozen nukes in Westeros to really start pruning down the cast.

Looks like maybe only 3 or 4 were taken out with Robb/Caitlyn being the biggest names since they began the show. Talisa didn't have that much screen time, but was the impact being his wife and that she was pregnant.

Other than those 3 you got other characters who were part of Robb's army and appeared, but none of them are really significant.

I think King's Landing has the biggest collection of recurring and significant characters at the moment.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

^ Easily the best Tweet I saw tonight about 309. :lol:

10. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Wow. I knew what was coming, as I was in the process of reading the third novel. I've read around 75% of it. Will finish it soon - but enjoying what I see on TV. Kinder spoiler myself when I looked at what characters would be in future books, when I saw that certain characters weren't in them.

11. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

This is basically how I feel.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ap5Sw3xsZhU[/yt]

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I got spoiled on this over a year ago but that wasn't enough to prepare me for how brutal it was. My stomach was in knots for most of the episode as I waited for this so I was relieved when it was over. Good thing the closing credits were silent as I needed a few moments to decompress.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The silent credits were an amazing symbol of respect... Until the HBO logo started honking it's own horn.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I had an idea this was coming for almost a year now, but that still wasn't enough to brace me for how it was done. The build up was unnerving.

I learned of it after I did a catching-up marathon of Season 1 and then began reading up on the background in the original books.

Definitely LOTR this show ain't.

17. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Gendry leeches were kinda dumb. Though was that in 3x08? I watched the most recent 3 in a row tonight.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Amazing episode. The deaths in the last few minutes were incredibly brutal.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, that was simply...devastating. :eek:

The level of sheer cruelty was shocking and overwhelming. Stabbing Talisa multiple times in the stomach just after she and Robb saw the future with the unborn Eddward, Catelyn begging for her son's life, only to see him slain by a bannerman, quickly followed by her own death. All this on the treachery of hospitality, just as Arya was to reunite with her mother and brother.

And this thought comes to mind, one that I've been quietly carrying with me since the first episode: Bran didn't see his mother after his fall and he will never see her again.

Agreed. I was shocked and sadden by Talisa's and Robb's murder, but Catelyn's final moments had me in tears and that's thanks to Michelle Fairley's hollowing performance.

20. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Not sure if I want to carry on watching this show anymore. Just seems like a waste of an entire season of their storyline to have such a brutal ending.

I'm not a fan of overly violent shows or movies, and I think this is enough for me.