"Missing" scenes and alternate takes [SPOILERS!!]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by 3chordboy, May 27, 2013.

1. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

now that everyone has had a chance to see the movie at least once, hopefully several times, has anyone gone back to the trailers and TV spots to see what material didn't make the final cut?

I'll get us started... in this Japanese trailer there is a clip of the Vengeance going after the Enterprise as it falls towards Earth (0:47) which is definitely no where to be found in the final cut. removed to make the Vengeance suicide run more unexpected?

http://youtu.be/pbm8I_d0KkI

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know of three deleted scenes.

*Kirk's BS log entry after the Nibiru mission

*Khan in the "shower of evil"

*Carol talks about being raised in London

I suspect many of Cumberbatch's lines in the trailer, all that stuff about returning and vengeance, was done especially for the trailers and was never part of the film.

3. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

- the spock/uhura kiss showed in the trailers is a bit different from the one showed in the movie. Might be just a different angle but it seems another take of it. In the trailers it looks more "tense" and perhaps even a little more passionate from Zoe. In the movie it's more playful, she smiles in the kiss and teases him a bit and it's more obvious that he's leaning in and kissing her back.

- I might be wrong but I think they cut a scene (showed in some behind the scenes videos) where Spock is on the bridge looking through Carol's biography and then he suddenly stands up
    [​IMG]

- this scene also isn't in the movie:
    [​IMG]

- the scotty/uhura hug showed in the trailers and the clip about Uhura was deleted.
    I think they wanted us to get the feeling that the crew is a family - also an echo of the Kirk/Uhura hug when Spock died in the prime verse - but these two have no interactions in the whole movie. Everyone was crying there so it feels a bit forced to have only the female character get a hug especially from someone you didn't see her having this big friendship in the movie.
    Besides, that scene is already too "in your face emotional" sometimes less is better. IDK but Amanda's death in the first movie was way more emotional for me precisely because I didn't see people crying and screaming.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

That was in the film. It was brief, as Kirk was dying.

5. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Look again, they only briefly show them standing there and crying and Uhura is even a bit behind Scotty.

6. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

True, I don't remember them hugging - she comes running up and stops, sees what's happening, then cries with her hand over her mouth (IIRC, it was two scenes very close together).

7. TommyW

TommyW Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

"you are a pawn Kirk" wasn't in the film either was it? Shame, because that sounded very Khan'esque how he says it in the trailer

8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

there were also lines like 'I have returned to have my vengeance and your commanders have committed a crime i cannot forgive" weren't in the movie either. i also forgot about Marcus's "Starfleet isn't about vendetta, Kirk" and Kirk is like "maybe it should be Sir."

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  9. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

also the Cumberbatch line "darkness...is....coming" :)

10. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

McCoy's line to Kirk "You're not actually going after this guy, are you?" had been cut as well.