Worst Season?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by BruntFCA, Nov 7, 2012.

?

Wort Season?

1. TOS-1

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. TOS-2

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. TOS-3

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. TNG-1

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. TNG-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. TNG-3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. TNG-4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. TNG-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. TNG-6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. TNG-7

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  11. DS9-1

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. DS9-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. DS9-3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. DS9-4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. DS9-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. DS9-6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. DS9-7

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  18. VOY-1

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  19. VOY-2

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  20. VOY-3

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  21. VOY-4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. VOY-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. VOY-6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. VOY-7

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  25. ENT-1

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  26. ENT-2

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  27. ENT-3

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  28. ENT-4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Seen it all. Own all four seasons of Enterprise and five seasons of Voyager on DVD. Just saying that I knew very early on that they weren't going to be the quality of TOS and TNG.

Even in the shows that weren't my favorites, I could usually find elements and episodes that were likable. Which is why I take offense when someone writes off any series outright.

I've seen everything from The Cage to These are the Voyages. Not sure if I should be proud or sad. :lol:

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Bill, will you be picking up the ENT Blu-ray's next year? Or is that a Trek too far?!

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Five seasons? Let me guess... those are the Seven of Nine years right? ;)

I own S3 of VOY which I bought new for $10, and I feel like I paid too much for it.

I also own the TNG complete series and DS9 S3-S7. Not a fan of VOY or ENT.

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

He doesn't have to see more, although it sounds like he's seen them both. Nothing is wrong with having a preference, but something is wrong with calling someone "ignorant" for having a preference or condoning that. These forums, and this thread, are interesting as is, though. :p

I knew very early on that I probably wasn't going to like ENT as much as DS9 and the later seasons of TNG, but my impression of the series as a whole remains the same after seeing most of it. It's okay. There are some technical issues, arc cohesiveness, and captaining decisions that aren't the best, but other than that, it's okay. I think maybe that's how "like" works, because I've had that experience as well, being able to tell how much I'd like a series early on, and that continuing to be the case down the line.

I will say that both ENT and Voyager, and also DS9 and TOS to be honest, had a better beginning than TNG, though.

A good point, and I also take offense when a series is misclassified by someone that "tried it once" and felt that it wasn't for them or when someone calls another person "ignorant" because of their preferences.

Let's just say that the person that called every season of TOS the worst had said the same thing about DS9, which is my favorite and of course I see it as having the best quality in storytelling. I wouldn't call someone names over that or think they are "silly" for having that opinion. I would disagree of course, or even ask them why they think that, as someone else here did, but I wouldn't insult their intelligence or maturity just because they don't like the same thing I like in the same ways that I like it. There's something wrong with that, imo.

My problem with the person that called DS9 a "soap opera" wasn't the fact that he (I'm assuming it's he) wasn't interested in the series after trying it once, but the fact that it was called something it is not in the process. You said that "soap opera" is something definable to debate, but so is "worst season." I do agree with you that there is something to like about each series, though, but I can usually find at least one thing I like about most everything.

5. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

TNG season 1
    Ugh.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Something else I've thought of since writing that post, DS9 had a tendency to depict intelligence agencies as being almost criminal (Tal Shiar, Obsidian Order, Section 31). As an upstanding CIA agent, I can see this would grate on Stan.

Hmm, maybe we should start another thread speculating on why Stan would hate DS9 before derailing this one further?

7. Spock/Uhura Fan

I haven't watched DS9 in a while, but didn't Section 31 turn out to not really be a legitimate intelligence agency, but rather a rouge one? The Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar, well, I wouldn't really fault the agencies for what they were considering that Cardassians and Romulans aren't always depicted as the best people no matter which way you slice it. There were divisions, though, where morals and ideals got challenged, IIRC.

And let's not forget that no one, by the end of the series, walked away with entirely clean hands, intelligence agency or not. I think that's a real depiction of what happens in war times, wouldn't you say? I mean, think about some of what's happened with American intelligence, not to mention other places (which I'd assume have their issues too), in the last 10 years or so.

Back to DS9, I don't think depicting intelligence agencies doing what they think they need to do during a war and the moral and legal questions that come or should come into play makes an entire series garbage. I would hope Stan, or someone like who/what Stan is supposed to represent, could see that. A more realistic example right now would be Homeland... Like DS9, I don't think that series is garbage either. What do you think as a CIA Agent? Perhaps a thread on this would be nice. I don't know. :confused:

8. BillJ

Seasons three and four for sure. One and two will be determined by what else is out there that I want to buy at that point in time. :techman:

Seasons one thru five, not a huge Seven of Nine fan even though I'm normally a fan of large breasts. :eek:

9. BillJ

Not sure if you live in the States or not, but...

American Dad! is a very satirical (animated) left-wing take on a right-wing CIA company man trying to survive in an evolving world. His daughter is a hippy, son is a nerd, wife is pretty but mentally "empty" and he's hiding an alien in his attic. And the fish has the mind of a Nazi.

Patrick Stewart plays Avery Bullock, Stan's boss at the CIA.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RgALuzyiC0[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S7r-K6lO6k[/yt]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

All good points. However, given the kind of guy Stan is, he tends to view everything in black and white and feels that his ideas of right and wrong are the only legitimate viewpoints on the matter.

I'm not in the CIA, I'm not even American. The sentence in my previous post when I said "As an upstanding CIA agent, I can see this would grate on Stan." I meant that since Stan is supposed to be an upstanding CIA agent, I can see how depicting every intelligence agency as criminal would grate on him. If you've watched American Dad, you'd see such characterization is 100% spot on of who Stan Smith is.

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

Oh, I know what the series is, and I've seen a few episodes. My point was that even Stan (or what he's supposed to represent) should have had a better understanding of the series if he actually watched it. Wormhole answered my question by stating that he hadn't seen any of it, and the part that he did see was about surrogates. That's why I said I think he's got a lot in common with people who miscategorize something when they haven't even seen enough of it to know. That's pretty much what he did.

And thanks for the vids. :)

True. :)

Oh, okay. That makes sense, although he does a better job at depicting intelligence agents as deranged criminals all on his own, lol.