2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, May 8, 2014.

1. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

I was going to say that I hope that it will change especially for Brasil but arrrgh...mixed feeling : I like the Brasilian defense for obvious reasons :lol:

2. Shaytan

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Well, that's starting to turn from tough to brutal for Spain...

Will Casillas still be their goalie in the next game?

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Holland have utterly redeemed themselves in my eyes for their behaviour in the previous final.

Absolutely outstanding...

5. Shaytan

Will the Spanish defense survive ?

I'm enjoying that :lol:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  6. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

If I'm not mistaken this is the first competitive game Spain has lost since the qualification to the Euro 2008...

7. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

wow! I did not expect that! The Netherlands sure got their revenge on Spain. I still think Spain can qualify to the next round but they better shape up. The Netherlands made them look like a high school team in the last part of the 2nd half.

8. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

They also lost their first game of the 2010 World Cup but not like that.

Well, I didn't expect that, obviously. Some beautiful goals by the Dutch. I like their style of playing which I think lends itself well to livelier games. With a morale boost like this they'll be hard to stop.

9. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know about that. Netherlands have a knack for delivering stellar performances early in the tournament only to choke in the elimination round.

Spain has had it with winning titles, by the looks of it.

10. Count Zero

Well, time will tell. ;)

Poor Australians. The second goal by Chile was sweet, though.

11. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Well, that went a lot better than I'd expected. Weird thing to say after a 3-1 loss but given our limitations and inexperience - and how useless we were in the first 15-20 minutes - I wouldn't have been surprised if there'd been a blowout. Having said that, our set pieces were terrible and the second goal was just embarrassing - three blokes standing around admiring their opponents instead of actually defending harked back to the bad old days when we'd play the likes of Argentina and some star-struck "professional" would gibber about hoping to get some of Maradona's sweat on him. Chile probably deserved the win but (even though I'm obviously biased) I reckon 2-1 would have been fair enough and 2-2 would have worked, too. Football isn't fair, though, and the third goal was just cruel.

Thank God for Tim Cahill. The bloke is brilliant. We'll be screwed when he retires.

Missed the Mexico-Cameroon game but Spain-Holland was a bit of an eye-opener. Not having seen either side play since the last World Cup I wasn't sure what to expect but seeing Spain basically fall apart was remarkable. Maybe if Silva had gone for a percentage play instead of the smart-arse effort he attempted and Spain had gone 2-0 up, it might have been different. As it was, van Persie's bit of brilliance and some remarkably inept defending and keeping made the result almost inevitable. Given the performances of both teams I'm not really looking forward to our matches against them. It's hard to imagine that Spain could be that appalling again and Holland could destroy us.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Spain Holland, blimey I didn't expect that. Be interesting to see how Spain come back from that.

13. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

14. Shaytan

The Netherlands are ready too early ;)

15. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

For obvious reasons, I certainly hope so. :D

16. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

That was a highly entertaining match to watch.

17. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Indeed it was. I can´t remember, when I enjoyed the last victory by a dutch team - that´s usually a no-go as a German ;)

@ SPCTRE
    Apparently you´re confident for 2014. You think 1990 was just a slip from the 20-year rhythm? :)

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

After these referee fails i read that FIFA chooses the refs by nationality and not by experience so to guarantee a diverse group for a worldwide appeal and fairness.

That's a really dumb reason.. this way you get a japanese ref who has no international experience much less on this scale and who would be used in third league or below in the german league until he has got some experience and proven he's capable.

There's being noble reasons vs. effectiveness and i would always choose the latter at such events. It just boggles my mind how amateurish FIFA is operating.. if i did business decisions like these i'd be out of a job sooner or later.

19. Count Zero

Well, it's an international organisation and its leaders have to keep all the member associations happy, hence the referees also coming from those various associations. Also, Rizzoli is an internationally experienced ref and still made that mistake. So, that's no guarantee, either. It seems to be a combo of bad luck, high pressure and I suspect match fixing by the betting cartels. ;)

Missed most of Uruguay vs Costa Rica and am now looking forward to England vs Italy. I think it's funny that one of the Italian forwards is called Immobile. :) Too bad for Buffon, apparently he's injured and can't play. I'm hoping Rooney will finally score.

20. Shaytan

Good news in Paris : Cavani will apparently start the new season in August :lol: