Bluray Prices

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by trekker670, Jun 13, 2013.

1. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any ideas why the complete series on bluray has been consistently under $100 (~$30 per set) for the past several weeks? Are they clearing stock for a particular reason, or have they just realized that their prices were outrageous?

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Often sales are tied to film releases. Retailers figure volume sales will compensate for lower profit margins. Same is happening with Superman merchandise.

3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

That is phenomenal pricing. In Canada, the set is still priced at $300.

4. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I finally took the bait at the $88 price.

5. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't know. Don't care.

Alot of us are just snapping it up and enjoying the deals!

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That is a good deal! I paid about $65 a season when they first came out because I have no self control where TOS is concerned. :lol:

7. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I only had season 1 DVD (pre-remaster) in the hardcase, so am looking forward to all the extra stuff, and HD.

8. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Just a few words of advice
    • Besides TOS-R (and corresponding specials) you'll get the alternate edit of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (last disc of Season 3) where the opening scenes will have the differences you'll probably notice most (see my avatar), Billy Blackburn's private behind-the-scenes films and more.
    • You'll also get old interviews from the previous release (e.g. Bobby Justman and Matt Jefferies)
    • 70-80% of the footage will shine in HD and especially the richness of colors (compared to DVD)
    • But keep in mind that despite selecting "Original Version" you'll often get a few seconds of TOS-R enhanced footage first before it switches to the original VFX footage (and I presume my Oppo BDP-93 doesn't qualify as "crap" ;)).
    Bob

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It's an excellent machine, but the issue you describe is not necessarily related to your machine. Branched files (like those that allow original and new effects depending on your choice) are sometimes authored sloppily, which can create the issue you've noticed.

10. BillJ

Can you point to some episodes where that happens? I've never noticed the issue on my PS3 or my cheap Magnavox player I bought several years ago.

11. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I instantly recall "The Ultimate Computer" but the worst offender was "Wink of an Eye" (several seconds). :(

Bob

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I haven't noticed my TOS Blu-Rays doing that on my Sony Blu-Ray player. On an older, I believe LG model they had some issues like that, though.

13. BillJ

I'll have to check and see if I notice it later today.

14. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This all depends on the brand and/or model of your player. My Magnavox does that, but my PS3 does not. If it happens, just jump back to the start of the episode again.