Question about one reality from Parallels.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Vanyel, Apr 27, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Are ye daft?! I just told ye resistance was futile ye thumb fingered moron!"

2. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For the option of "Picard ... able to resist long enough for the Deflector Dish weapon to work...".

Try reading Star Trek Myriad Universes: Shattered Light the story The Embrace of Cold Architects. That gives a storm on Galtinor Prime that did not happen in the prime universe as the explanation. A thouroughly entertaining read if you can find it. A good example of how a seamingly small event can have far reaching reprucussions...

3. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although I was never particularly a fan of the actress, that would have been a great touch.

4. R. Star

Or have Jellico in charge in one of the realities with Riker.. just not there. :p

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It didn't say that the Bajorans overthrew the Occupation - rather, that they overpowered the entire Cardassian Union. I interpreted this to mean that in that universe, the occupation happened in reverse - that it was Bajor who invaded and occupied Cardassia.

6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^I always took it as an occupation that was overthrown before they overpowered Cardassians because they still used their ships like Kazon using Trabe ships...

7. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Wait. You can't post proposed alternate realities without also stating how Worf did in the bat'leth tournament.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

The kicker for me was that they didn't mention the occupation by name. "Ever since Bajor overpowered the Cardassian Empire," was the specific phrase they used, IIRC. That's how I suspected that in that universe the occupation ran in the other direction, as it were.

Side note: For more on that, check out @Nerys Ghemor's most excellent Cardassian fanfic, Sigils and Unions. She has two 'versions' of it, as it were: The Thirteenth Order (which, IIRC, takes place in the main Trek universe) and Catacombs of Oralius (which is set in this very "Parallels" reality we are discussing here. And she does go with the theory that it was Bajor who occupied Cardassia in that universe. I believe the Cardassian who served on the Enterprise is also a character in that work).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  9. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Nah. The use of Galor class ships by Bajorans suggests that there was an occupied Bajor or at least a Bajor that was harassed or under attack by Cardassians for some time.. It's not a sure thing, I realize, but it is likely the Bajorans had to fight off Cardassians and oppressed them.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Where did you get the idea that the Bajorans were using Cardassian ships? The ship that attacked the Enterprise was just said to be Bajoran. Nobody pointed out what class or design it was. And we never saw it, either.

The only Galor-class ship we saw, onscreen, in that episode, was an actual Cardassian ship which was crewed BY Cardassians. And the only thing we saw it attack, was the Argus Array, in one of the alternate realities. (This is not the same reality as the one where the Bajorans destroyed the Array - the reality we're talking about here. In that, we only heard that the Bajorans destroyed the Array. We didn't see them do it.)

11. R. Star

Actually the Cardassian ship attacked the Enterprise first, catching them when Worf switched realities and didn't recognize the controls. After they got in several hits with the shields down, they destroyed the array as the Enterprise was running away.

The Bajorans in that episode just attacked. No view screen images were shown, or anything. Maybe Finn's suggesting that the Cardassian warship in the reality were Worf goofed(before the mentioning of the Bajorans overpowering Cardassia) were Bajoran somehow. They never actually talked with them or even mentioned the ship was Cardassian, even if the script did when mentioning the viewscreen shots. Worf later mentions screwing up the battle with the Cardassians to Troi who doesn't correct him though.

12. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

With regard to the original question, our Picard is visibly affected by the destruction of the Borg Cube. Possibly the alternate reality Picard simply did not handle the severance from the Collective as well as ours and the feedback was too much for him to handle.

13. tafkats

tafkats Vice Admiral Admiral

This part, I think, depends on how you view the cause-and-effect relationships involved in Sisko's predestination.

If he came to DS9 because he was destined to, then it makes sense to say that the Prophets would find a way to get him there. But the Prophets exist outside of linear time. If someone else ended up in command of DS9, maybe they simply would have intervened in that person's conception instead, and Sisko would not have been the Emissary.