Should There Be A Blu Ray Of The Animaited Series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by KirkSpockTOSFan, Sep 22, 2009.

?

Should they release a blu ray collection of The Animaied Series

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. Maybe

8 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Not sure

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

I thought I put this here as it has TOS crew. Do you think they should release a blu ray collection of The Animaited Series just like they did with the 3 seasons of TOS? I think they should cause after all, it still is the same crew from TOS. They released blu ray collections of TOS and all 10 Star Trek movies and soon to be Star Trek XI. So I think they should release a blu ray collection of The Animaied Series. So what do you think?

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

You wouldn't gain anything in image quality. Shitty animation is shitty animation, no matter what the image resolution, so enjoy the regular DVD release for what it is.

Now, if they were to go back and redo the animation and recut the dialogue (a typical TAS script was around 40-odd pages, which by current standards is an hour long show, so just change the pacing, draw out some of the effects sequences...) then we might have a reason to do an HD version, but as it is now, nah...

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

A year ago I heard rumors of just that. A test project using the episode "Time Trap". It would of retained just the dialogue of the actors and maybe the music. All the animation to be new. Don't know if it ever came to anything.

Also possible I refering to some sort of fan production.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to wait a while longer before TOS S2 is released here in the UK. Maybe I'll have a better opinion then... because apparently 'More Tribbles More Troubles' is in HD as an extra. What I've read so far isn't good news though...

Robert April is probably right with the completely rework the animation idea. So long as watching the original vision is retained as an option. Filmation were no better or worse than any 70's TV cartoon, like Scooby Doo or based around the Jackson 5 or the Osmonds. It's an art that reflects its day and age, which should be preserved.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yes, I guess you are thinking of Ptrope's Reanimated project.

6. fek'lhr1

fek'lhr1 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Personally I think any improvement they could do would just take away from the cheesy charm of TAS. The sometimes laughable facial expressions and poor effects was what made the TAS so fun to watch. Now if they had some AMAZING special fetures maybe but they would have to be crazy good to warrent re releasing on blue ray.

7. wws

wws Commander Red Shirt

Sure, they should do a blu-ray release. I also hope that they FIX the screwed up with the color correction on "Time Trap" that was on the DVD release. Also, I read that on the season two blu-ray set is "More Tribbles, More Trouble" as a bonus.... so I would bet that it will happen.

best wishes,
    wws

8. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course you would. You'd get sharper lines.

9. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That depends on the line quality of the masters themselves, which might not be worth the effort in this case, given how poorly done TAS was, even by Filmation's standards.

10. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No. The blurrier and more out-of-focus TAS is, the better it is. In fact, I drink a liter of scotch and spread a jar of vaseline on my TV screen before viewing it, and it's much more enjoyable.

11. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the liter of scotch is the key ingredient.

12. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

There has been some discussion in Future of Trek of fans wishing to reanimate TAS but keep the original dialogue recording. Either in 2D hand drawn or 3D CGI it would cost a lot and not a good R.O.I.

Paramount/CBS put together a decent DVD release of this 1970s Saturday morning animated TV series even remixing sound to 5.1 . Enjoy it on the best standard definition consumer video medium AS-IS.

13. WHF

WHF Captain Captain

Yes.

There is a 1080p episode in the S2 Blu-ray collection. Has anyone seen this? How does it compare to the 480i version?

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even in HD, the entirety of TAS could probably fit on one Blu-Ray disc, couldn't it?

15. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

You would gain in the background painting image quality.
    high definition has 10x the color information [and 6x the resolution]. All that extra color information make for more accurate colors and subtle gradations that NTSC/(SMPTE 170M) standard in standard definition cannot show.
    The 2-D hand animated cells will have sharper lines as Start Wreck mentioned and you will see it on "More Tribbles, More Trouble" TAS episode in HD on TOS season 2.
    The IGN review I quoted here brings up the dust issue though that was not removed from the TAS master.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

The animated Transformers: The Movie was released on Blu-Ray in the UK. I believe it was quite a bit better looking than the standard DVD version.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    I'm no expert on animation, but that was made to be released on 35mm, was it not? While TAS was made to be shown on television (and over the air 1970s television, nonetheless). Now, perhaps the original elements are of such a quality that a Blu-Ray would be worth it, but perhaps not.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

TAS was shot on 35mm.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well then, I see no reason for the series not to be released in HD, if the studio is willing to pay out for the transfer. How did the standard DVD sell for Paramount/CBS/Whoever?

It probably won't look astonishing in HD, especially considering the quality of the animation. But there's no doubt you would be able to see an increase in image quality.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Re-animating (?) TAS is an interesting idea. I don't know if I'd go for an exact photorealistic style, but something could be done I think.

The biggest thing would be to break the static quality of the original animation. Get more movement of characters in there and show the changing perspectives of objects.

Two big things I'd want to see are more credibly scaled shuttlecraft and hangar deck and...

is there anyway we can downsize the stupid 50ft. Spock from "The Infinite Vulcan" as well as fix the depiction of Bem as a colony being?

Okay, that's three things.