Do you think I'd like Firefly?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MyCylon, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sound is muffled, but not eliminated in BSG sequences. Sometimes I wish they just went all out and got rid of it, but I an understand the dramatic desire for sound in space. Worked to great effect in Firefly (and I was very disappointed to see it violated at the end of Serenity--I know it was explained, but said explanation didn't work for me).

2. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think he would enjoy Farscape, since its starts slow and improves in later seasons (exact opposite of some tv shows which start with a bang but fizzle out quick)the poster might not like the fact Farscape has got a bit of humor and he enjoys the depression, soap-opera shit that is "Ron Moore's" nu BSG

3. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

Way to insult a person for having different tastes than you. Classy. :vulcan:

5. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Where is the BSG ratings graph though?!!?!

6. Brian

7. MyCylon

:lol: Oh, I'm sure he's got it somewhere.

8. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just a friendly word of advice to you guys, replying in this thread is kind pointless since I can't read a lot of your posts but let's continue this nonsense for a sec

(just to clear this up a little more : these blocked posts I refer to are the posts from the bsg-fanatics aka David Eick bootlickers)

Half of you battlestar guys are on my block list from the days I took part in the nuBSG forum, I would write a critical reviews after the show went to shit in S3, sometimes I would say Trek/Firefly/Farscape etc were 10 times better than BSG and suddenly my inbox used to get spammed with trollish posts from a certain group of hardcore Ron Moore bootlickers. Mr Justtoyourleft avoided the block list because he actually had something interesting to say and he was a lot more civil than the usual BSG trolls. I do however feel that anyone who enjoys the the depression, soap-opera shit that is 'Ron Moores' nu BSG probably won't enjoy the colorful aliens, fx, writing and humor in a tv series like Farscape.

Firefly is probably somewhere in between the two, its got the quality, sharp writing and humor in a series like Farscape but its probably got enough emo drama and angst to keep the average BSG fan interested. Firefly is probably of better quality than Farscape but its only 14 episodes and completely jumps the shark during the Serenity movie

9. MyCylon

Here we go:

[​IMG]

(Courtesy of TrekBBS's very own Russ, I believe)

Ok, has anyone got the ratings for Farscape and Firefly handy? I feel the need to better assess their respective quality. I haven't done this properly in the past and ended up watching crap without actually realizing it. That can be nuisance, I can tell you...

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Not necessarily. I never developed a fondness for Farscape (nor a dislike for that matter; it just never grabbed me, despite the best efforts of Samuel T. Cogley ;)), but Firefly was a favorite of mine from the very first episode, and only got better from there. Frankly, I don't see a lot of similarities between the shows, as far as characters, tone or writing go, so I see no reason for an opinion of one to affect that of the other in any way.

If you watched "crap" without realizing it, then perhaps it wasn't crap in the first place, and you'd only be told that by friends/peers/strangers. And it's pretty common knowledge that ratings are probably the least relevant meter for determining a show's quality, or else we wouldn't be inundated by 'crap' like The Bachelor and other mindless 'reality' programming.

11. MyCylon

You haven't been in the BSG forum much, have you?

12. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And you would be wrong. I consider both pinnacles in science fiction TV.

I quote Kaylee, "People have feelings...I'm talking about people..?"

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

No they aren't Zoic left Battlestar Galactica after the second season.

14. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hear hear. The shows do completely different things, but that's a good thing! Just because I like shows set in space doesn't mean that I want everything else about them to be the same. Farscape is fun and emotional and wildly varied in tone and content. Its an absolutely thrilling ride that I am SO glad that they got away with making. Its the complete opposite of Battlestar in every way apart from its kind of an action show set in space.

Firefly, at the end of the day, isn't really like either of them. It has a lot of humour, but its different, quieter, humour than Farscape. It has a certain amount of drama, but it doesn't get to explore it in the same way as BSG, partly because of the low episode count and partly because the situation and characters are very different. It has action, good action, but not in every episode, and Serenity isn't armed so space battle don't really happen until the film.

Its best just to try these things and see if they grab you. I know everyone has said that, but it really is true.

15. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really, really, really wanted to like it - especially after experiencing Buffy and Angel for the first time, back-to-back on DVD.

But I didn't. I gave up after 3 episodes.

16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Then they WERE done by the same special effects house for two years. :vulcan:

17. Brian

QFT. :bolian:

Is it also impossible for someone to like both drama and comedy? Opera and rock-n-roll? Italian food and Chinese food? I would suggest that anyone who is wired that way look into a neuron check.

And ratings as a measure of quality? :guffaw:

18. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

BUMP!

I just finished the Firefly movie (Serenity) and was very disappointed.
    I just watched the TV show (all 14 episodes) for the first time this past month.
    The movie had a negative tone
    Wash and Book die!
    and didn't follow the Western motif they had in the TV show. Also, I personally can't stand movies where a woman is a sexy super-assassin...too fanboy. I'm sorry, but if you think Summer Glau is hot then...oh forget it.

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Have you been watching the Terminator TV series? The girl cleans up REAL good! Summer can be hot as hell with very little effort. I'm beginning to think the real effort was to make her look so mousey on Firefly!

I agree the movie was WAY too dark in tone. Oddly enough, that's the way Whedon wanted the TV series to be before Fox execs made him tone it down. That's the ONLY thing I think Fox got right. Ever.

20. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I heard that he wanted Mal to be more dour...but then from what you say then I'm glad Fox changed the show to the way it was.
    I don't like Glau because as you said, she's too mousy. She looks like a 12 year-old. I rolled my eyes many times when they had that fanboy dream of a girl in black spining ang kicking. ugh.