Should Simon Pegg cut off middle finger out of respect for canon?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jayson, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Jayson

Jayson Vice Admiral Admiral

As any good Trek nerd knows ,Doohan and thus Scotty by proxy was missing a middle finger. Granted his missing finger didn't impact the stories much but we know for a fact it is canon because anything on screen is canon and his missing finger can be seen(or is that not seen) in some ep's like "Trouble with Tribbles". I for one expect the movie to respect canon and make Scotty have a missing finger. Also I don't want any excuse about how he might have lost it later on due to this being a prequel. Granted it is plausible but since Shatner isn't in the movie they owe us another homage to "TOS" to make up for the lack of Shat in the movie and I want this to be it. :)

Jason

2. CaptainJon

CaptainJon Captain Captain

Nah, these days all he has to do is wear some green fabric around it and they can do that digitally (no pun intended)!

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yeah, and Pine, Quinto and Urban should get tinnitus. That was pivotal to the original characters. If they don't do that I won't consider this movie to be canon and will boycott it. :guffaw:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  4. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I will sooooo boycott this film if Scotty has ten fingers.

5. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, as Scotty's hand was frequently played by actors other than Doohan (especially when in closeup); if Pegg chops off his finger he will be violating canon. And if he doesn't chop off his finger, as Scotty as also been clearly seen with nine fingers, he will be violating canon.

I think the simplest solution is to give his hand a nondescript glove that leaves it vague as to how many fingers there are, sidestepping the contradiction in a Pavlovian sort of way.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jayson, this is nowhere near as ho-istic as your last topic. Please, think of the hos.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

They should have just gotten Frodo Baggins to play Scotty.

8. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously. J.J. Abrams had better watch his back!! :mad:

9. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Didn't we already have this discussion recently? I thought we agreed that if they didn't CGI out the appropriate finger this film would flop.

10. THE_FETT

THE_FETT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Rest assured, I've sent Pegg and Abrams an e-mail demanding the finger be severed before filming. I've stated that the method is not important, but that if they were to use a Scottish claymore, that would score points from the Trek community. I've also threatened both men with bodily harm should the demand go ignored, and I've let them know that this film will not only be boycotted by the community should the finger remain on Pegg's hand, but that we will do everything in our power to destroy every copy of the film, and make the lives of the cast and crew a living hell.

Also, I took the liberty of signing the letter with the names of everyone on the BBS.

11. Cranston

Cranston Commander Red Shirt

But Scotty never wore gloves until he wore that radiation suit in TMP, so gloves on Scotty would also violate canon. (Wait -- didn't he wear a big black rubber glove so that he could short-circuit some equipment with a wrench in one episode? I guess he could wear that one canonically-established glove for the whole movie.)

What they should (nay, must) do is set up each shot to ensure that Pegg's right hand is simply strategically obscured whenever he's on screen. Based on the canonical record of Doohan's performance, Scotty simply had a right hand that nobody ever saw. They could even add a nice nod to the fans by having a line of dialogue where Kirk and Spock muse privately about never having seen all of Scotty's right hand at the same time. Sure, it would be a complete non sequitur for non-Trek folk in the audience, but the fans would love it! Box-office success would be guaranteed!

They could even make it a plot point...Scotty's finger is neither present nor missing, but exists in some sort of hyperspatial interphase, where its there-ness and not-there-ness exist simultaneously in some sort of quantum dactylic superposition. ....

12. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise crew should time-travel to the early 21st century and find themselves in the midst of the events of Land Of The Dead. Then, Scotty!Pegg can get his finger bitten off by Zombie!Pegg for some freaky self-referential meta-something-or-other type stuff.

[​IMG]

:D

13. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. Did TAS Scotty have all his digits?

14. MisterPL

MisterPL Commander Red Shirt

Let me get this straight:

The Shatner = Doohan's middle finger?

Now THAT'S funny.

15. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally, someone's asking the real questions ;)

16. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Photographic evidence shows TAS Scotty did have all the fingers on his right hand. However, he doesn't seem to have any legs...."
    [​IMG]

17. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

You guys are all wrong.

Star Trek XI is the story about how Scotty lost his finger.

Star Trek XII will, of course, be called "The Search for Scotty's Finger."

Great topic, Jayson. (As always.)

18. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Scotty has 10 fingers I am SOOO boycotting! :mad:

19. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Already got ya covered!

20. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:mad: