X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Slight correction: It was called X2: X-Men United.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well... er... I wasn't that bothered about the title if I'm honest. :rofl:

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's just X2 in the actual movie. X-Men United is just a marketing name.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I stand corrected. And yet, that seems so bizarre to me. Why call it one thing and then market it by another name? I can't see the logic behind that.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The marketing folks were probably afraid that people wouldn't know what the hell X2 was about (despite the fact that X-Men characters were plastered all over the posters), so they put "X-Men" up on there to make it even more obvious. Kind of like the brilliant decision making that led to X-Men Origins: Wolverine. :p

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I said the same thing about the X-Files movie.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That sort of thing happens...Superman: The Movie was all over the posters and marketing of the 1978 Donner film, but technically the title used in the film itself was just Superman.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

There are a lot of films that fall into a weird area where the on screen title doesn't match the advertizing title.

First Class
    doesn't actually have X-Men in the title (just an X)

Iron Man 3 is actually Iron Man Three

Rise of the Silver Surfer has no Fantastic Four in the film (Just a big 4)

...and if you want to get silly, The Talented Mr. Ripley's full on screen title is The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley. ;)

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Happens all the time in all kinds of media, usually when there's no pre-existing catch phrase, slogan and/or the title doesn't really "sell" the product (according to the marketing people.)

Anyone remember the add campaign for Mass Effect 2? That whole "fight for the lost" thing was only ever mentioned in the marketing materials, never once in-game. Indeed, the actual story had more to do with what was making people "lost" than the lost themselves.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Does anyone know if The Dark Knight's promotional materials ever said "Batman"? I wonder if they would try to emphasize it out of fear of confusing people (although, with the Bat symbol, pictures of Batman, etc., I doubt it was ever a problem).

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I don't recall them ever marketing it as a "Batman film." That is to say I think all the marketing was calling it "The Dark Knight," I think this was a rare time where WB was trusting it's audience to know what the title meant.

12. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

So the second X-Men film is really the only one that had a number. I suspect that Days of Future Past will be the last film with the original cast (Patrick Stewart, Halle Berry, etc) although I won't be surprised if Hugh Jackman keeps showing up as Wolverine in further films.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Jackman has indicated he's unsure about future work in the role. Days of Future Past is the last film he's contractually obligated to do, so he isn't even signed to do Wolverine 3 (although Fox is trying to get him on board). I'm not saying he won't have one or two more outings, but Jackman seems pretty self-aware that he's 45 and there's only so much makeup that can be used to make him look like an ageless killing machine.

14. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't mind that much when they re-cast. I get frustrated when they reboot.

15. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Dougray Scott will finally get his shot at Logan! :D

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Unfortunately for me, the further they diverge from the original cast, the less interest I have in any of these films. To me, the X-Men just isn't the X-Men without is Cyclops, Jean, or Wolverine. I grew up on the 90s cartoon; those are the characters I love.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think I'll at least watch through Apocalypse. That being said, I tend to agree. I wouldn't mind a reboot after that.

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

But X-Men can be so much more than that core group of characters. Even now Bendis' 'Uncanny X-Men' is introducing us to new and interesting mutants who I would love to see in films one day. In fact I'd love to see more diverse line-ups in the future, and hope they move away from the core group a little.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If they stick with the First Class cast, they might get around to reintroducing the likes of Cyke, Jean, and Storm.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really liked the First Class cast, so I don't mind if they stick with them, or at least Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hault, and James McAvoy. Honestly, I think it would be kind of cool if we rotated the casts out every 3 or 4 movies. There are more than enough X-Men characters that they could do that quite a few times, and keep the series alive and fresh.