J.J. admits keeping Khan's identity a secret was a mistake

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M.A.C.O., Dec 3, 2013.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Doing my own crazy thing...:guffaw:

2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Happens when sarcasm isn't accompanied with a smiley, I sometimes forget.

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see the Borg in the next film, actually. Redesigned, with today's makeup and visual effects. Also, Kirk is the only captain who never got to face off against the Borg. I'd say it's time he got his chance!

4. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Please, no. The Borg have become a bromide for lack of better ideas. Besides, they'd probably ruin it with making them all CGI and thinking it's cool when it's really Emperor's Clothes. And I guess with Kirk versus Borg, it more canon to conveniently sweep away like Your Father's Star Trek in the New Age Alternate Universe because it wasn't invented by the current generation.

5. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The missed opportunity IMHO was not having Marcus reveal him - and have the entire leadership in the room suddenly understand the nature of the threat. That makes the "kill" order more meaningful (he's subject to a death sentence already) and Spock's plea to have a trial more of a stretch.

And Kirk goes to Chronos knowing that rounding up "one man" will be much harder than he might have thought. When Khan defeats the Klingons and has the landing party cowering - it makes his surrender more of a surprise way out of the scene.

After watching "Harrison" defeat the Klingons who did Kirk think he was? The Stay-Pufft man? There's a clear backstory that he needed to find out as soon as he was in the brig.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point. Have it be Khan from the beginning. The twist would still be who found him and woke him up, and why he was attacking Starfleet specifically. Actually, why didn't Marcus lay the seeds that Khan was supported by the Klingons? He wanted war with the Klingons anyway, so why didn't he make up connections between Harrison and the Klingon Empire?

7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

How do you know that Abrams, Orci & Kurtzman can't or wouldn't be able to spice up the Borg and deliver a great Borg vs. Kirk story better than Berman & Braga?:vulcan:

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Borg or bust.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Plus, it'll have been twenty-plus years since the Borg were on the big screen when Trek 3 comes out.

Pretty much where I'm at.

10. JarodRussell

But it won't be the Borg until a twist in the middle of the film. :lol:

11. BillJ

Science Officer 0718 is a Borg spy! :p

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

World War B, starring Chris Pine and Brad Pitt.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shouldn't that be 0719? :shifty:

I think they've learned their lesson with Khan, but only insofar as they'd be up front the Borg are in the film. Anything else about them could be kept completely under wraps.

I imagine something like having the poster completely black with an etched delta at the center--perhaps with a greenish outline, with "Resistance is futile." written across it and the film title at the bottom.

They could take it a step further and wait until the end of act one before introducing them.

As far as actually "getting" the Borg in the movie, it wouldn't be very hard. The thing about Vengeance is it looks like it could have been reverse engineered from Borg technology. Just add a throw away line saying Marcus was, against orders, messing with some unknown alien technology found in the North Pole a century ago. It connects the dots for the Trekkies and the non Trekkies wouldn't care.

14. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The Borg are something that originated with TNG, thus I think if they should ever return to the big screen it should be when they get around to doing the TNG crew for the Abramsverse.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Having everybody show up at the appointed time as dictated by the original timeline kind of defeats the purpose of having an alternate timeline.

16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I'd be down for a reimagining of the Borg in the Abramsverse. I think enough time has passed and they can get their "Extreme Makeover" for this new era/audience.

I suspect it will either be the Borg or classic Klingons like Kang, Kor and Koloth in the next Trek film.

17. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

I think people want to be spoiled too early. I would had been fine with knowing nothing about the villain.

18. BillJ

I wish TNG had used the same rational before screwing up the Romulans and Klingons. :sigh:

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which everyone will have figured out.

Fans: "These mechanical zombies in cube ships. They're the Borg, right?"
    Orci: "No, but they are from canon."

20. JarodRussell

Karl Urban states at some point that it's V'Ger.