IDW announces Doctor Who/TNG crossover

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by C.E. Evans, Feb 10, 2012.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

From Bleeding Cool:
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/10/scoop-doctor-who-star-trek-official-crossover/
    Said cover art:
    http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads//2012/02/DrWHOStarTrekCvr1PR21EB3941.jpg?2bf6c0

2. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Typing at the same time, it seems! :) Merge, please, mods?

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rao...this is going to be awesome, especially since the Star Trek/Legion crossover has been supremely good so far, this has the potential to blow that way, depending on who the creative team is. The DTI would probably get a headache over this.

5. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Huh, might be worth checking out. Not a big fan of IDW's stuff, but every once in a while they surprise me.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Make it Geronimo?"

Of course, Star Trek has been repeatedly mentioned as a work of fiction in Doctor Who and its spinoffs, and the two universes follow very different ground rules anyway, so this would only work as an "imaginary story" type of thing (unless the TARDIS has found its way into the Land of Fiction once again).

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I can't see them playing it that way. Besides didn't one of the DW producers want to do a crossover with "Enterprise"? So it's entirely possible that they're going to play this straight.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Russell T. Davies wanted to do a crossover, yes. He's mentioned it several times in interviews, and he wanted Julie Gardner to approach Paramount, only UPN had gone and canceled Enterprise by that time.

It's thought that the Enterprise crossover episode would have filled the "Boomtown" spot in the first season, which was itself a replacement for another script that fell through, Paul Abbott's "Pompeii."

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

So who's writing it?

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I like both franchises a great deal.

I REALLY don't want to see them shoehorned into the same universe.

Fishfingers and custard...with a raktajino !

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

We don't know the creative team yet.

12. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good odds on Tony Lee.

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a bit of fun. What's not to like?

14. Allyn Gibson

He's denied writing it in the Bleeding Cool forum. :)

However, I suspect that this is related to the "big" Doctor Who project he's mentioned several times on Twitter, especially around the time that it was announced that he was leaving the ongoing monthly.

By the way, if no one's noticed, according to the February PREVIEWS, Doctor Who #16 is the last issue of the ongoing. I suspect that this crossover will be taking its place. Hopefully, when it's done, we'll get another ongoing Doctor Who comic. :)

15. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

in the Peter David novel Treason, Soleta references running into a person that had a striking resemblance to the 10th doctor.

what other crossover references have there been?

16. Allyn Gibson

The second and fourth Doctors appear in Ishmael.

Uhura watches a fourth Doctor episode of Doctor Who in My Enemy, My Ally.

There's a Voyager story in the first Strange New Worlds volume in which the Cybermen (called "Mondasians") appear.

Cervantes Quinn stole a "sonic screwdriver" off a strange person, mentioned in Harbinger.

the Lives of Dax is basically a Doctor Who anthology, which each Dax's story corresponding to the equivalent Doctor. The second Dax story is Troughton-esque, the fourth Dax story is like the Hinchliffe/Holmes era, the sixth Dax story is obviously about a mentally unstable, homicidal Dax. And there's a regeneration story, too.

Those are what I remember off-hand.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which also references Metebelis crystals and time travellers from the Kasterborous galaxy (i.e. where Gallifrey was located).

Except it depicts a scene that never actually existed -- Tom Baker stepping out of the TARDIS and asking, "Pardon me, but is this Heathrow?" The scene in ME,MA involves Uhura and Lt. Freeman converting the episode for holographic playback, which strikes me as rather blasphemous.

And there's a canonical reference in TNG: "The Naked Now" to a "sonic driver."

And the third is Earthbound. Though that seems like cherrypicking to fit a desired pattern rather than a built-in feature.

18. Allyn Gibson

I know that Marco has said it wasn't intentional, but the way the stories break down...

First Dax (Lela) -- Rebels and leaves homeworld
    Second Dax (Tobin) -- Acts like a jokester
    Third Dax (Emony) -- Earthbound and a woman of action
    Fourth Dax (Audrid) -- Gothic horror
    Fifth Dax (Torias) -- Self-sacrificing
    Sixth Dax (Joran Belar) -- Passionate and homicidal
    Seventh Dax (Curzon) -- A manipulative bastard

I've blanked on the eighth Dax (Jadzia) story in the book, and the ninth Dax story (Ezri) is a regeneration story.

19. Allyn Gibson

20. Plaristes

Plaristes Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow, this is the third ST crossover IDW has done (Infestation, Legion, DW). What's next? Aliens vs. Star Trek? Green Lantern/Star Trek? Indiana Jones Meets Gary Seven? Or perhaps the crossover many fans have debated for decades, Star Trek/Star Wars? Dark Horse has certainly proven that it's willing to work with other companies to do crossover stories.