Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kenbushway, Feb 4, 2013.

?

Are real men becoming extinct?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. Yes real men are becoming extinct

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. No real men aren't becoming extinct

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Yes and No

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. You're crazy, no one thinks about this.

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After reading all the posts in this topic, I have come to a conclusion.

2. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

^ And what is that conclusion if you don't mind sharing?

3. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

The problem with this thread (or one of them, anyway), isn't about you being silly or crazy. It's you seeing some behavior around you that you don't like, generalizing it to a large group of people, and acting a bit like a cranky old person. Attaching it all to gender just takes it to a higher level.

People are probably not as bad as you think. Things like respect, honesty, and integrity are still very much present in the world today. TSQ had it exactly right when she said that part of it is just about being at a certain stage of development. I don't expect a 16 year old or even a 20 year old to see things the same way that I do. That's not to say that we shouldn't strive to have these traits, but that we need to be realistic in our expectations.

You also get frustrated when people are bringing up women, but it's all a bit stupid to be talking about gender with any of this. The traits I mentioned above (that you have mentioned previously) like respect, honesty, and integrity ... those are things that aren't masculine or feminine traits. You shouldn't have a higher expectation of seeing them in a man.

Just because people are disagreeing with you here doesn't mean they think you are crazy. Don't keep saying "well that's why I have that option in the poll," because that's pointless. Discussions are about learning new things, not dismissing the other person as crazy. There have been some valuable contributions in this thread. What have you taken away from this experience? What have you brought to the discussion, and how can you improve that in the future?

Lastly, I'd say that you should be less preoccupied with the decline of society and people around you. It's not as bad as you think. Conduct yourself according to your beliefs and don't be in such a hurry to place your opinions and expectations on everyone else.

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^As usual, Kestra speaks truth with kindness. :)
    And? Did you consider what I wrote following that?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And those of us who are REAL cranky old people don't want our territory horned in on. :scream: :)

6. Kestra

I think I'm lucky if I average 50% on either truth or kindness. :p

You're not old. And you don't really come across as cranky, just a bit narrow-minded at times.

7. Kenbushway

Yes it was underneath that.

8. thestrangequark

Yeah, but saying that in actuality you are an insufferable wench would ruin my 73% Kindness Average!

;)

9. thestrangequark

No it wasn't. You made no comment on the validity of generalizing your observations, nor on the history of each generation lamenting the ills of the younger generation.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Damn. I'm getting sloppy in my not-old age, apparently. :(

11. Kenbushway

You'll have to forgive me I am not yet as good with words but I answered some of the questions you asked with this:
    If you wish I can write a more thorough response, like I said I am not gifted with language, it took me a bit to get the word thorough in this post correct. If you give me some time I can come up with an more thorough response.

12. thestrangequark

I was mostly just wondering if you had considered it. A response isn't really necessary, but the way you initially replied made it seem like you'd dismissed it.

13. Kenbushway

Kestra thank you for your explanation. I am taking what you say to mind and I will write a response, as I said before I am not good with language as you are and I will need a bit of time to respond. Is that alright?

14. Kenbushway

No, please don't think I just dismissed it. I hadn't thought of it that way before you posted. I can honestly say that I didn't fully understand the first time I read it, but re-reading it after you asked me what I thought I began to see that my opinions were no different from any older generation watching the new coming into the world. I cannot take my personal experience and apply it to the majority, especially since I myself even stated that it wasn't the majority. It really did surprise me when I read the quote you put and it really surprised me to learn who wrote it and just how old it really was. I think its best (as someone stated in the thread) that I just concentrate on my own self and hold myself to my own definitions and not anyone else. Also its alright to have an opinion but I should be able to defend my opinion;, if I can't its not worth having.

15. thestrangequark

^Cool. As you probably saw in TNZ, I meant it when I said you open-mindedness and eagerness to learn are worth a lot -- whatever conclusions you come to (even if you stuck with your original opinions), you're thinking about it and really considering others' points of view. These are rare qualities and great qualities, in my opinion.

16. Kestra

No worries, take your time! I tend to ramble anyway.

17. Kenbushway

Yes thank you for the kind words and loads of patience. I have not stuck with my original opinions. It may take me sometime to get the original ones out of my head just because they've been there so long. Again thanks for the patience. Live Long and Prosper. :)

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

If anything, I think "real men" are coming back in style. At least that's what my beard tells me.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Cause you're BLACK OPS!

20. Kenbushway

:lol: