Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Relayer1, Jun 13, 2013.

?

Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?

1. I'll get both

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4)

49 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. Staying with Xbox (360 to One)

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4)

21 vote(s)
    22.3%
  5. Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I wonder what would happen down the line if that happened, Nintendo releasing everything on the PS4/PSN and Microsoft not letting up on the problems with the XBone.

2. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

After one flop with a bajillion dollars in the bank, the 3DS being really successful and them winning the last generation? If companies would be so quick to drop out of the console hardware business we'd all be playing PC games exclisively by now.;)

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nintendo has said in the past that they won't do that, that they'd just drop out of the home console business altogether instead. (They'd still have their strong handheld business to sustain them.)

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It sounds crazy at first, but it may make sense in the long run. Console manufacturers generally don't make money selling consoles, they make money licensing and selling games. Nintendo has a poor track-record with third party publishers ever since the N64 for a variety of reasons, so they don't make as much money through licensing as MS or Sony. They made an effort to win over third parties with the Wii U, but that didn't seem to work out. Since the Wii U is being sold at a slight loss/small profit, Nintendo is going to make most of their money from first party games, but the profitability of those games will be impacted by their low install base. If the PS4 and the XBO have larger install bases than the Wii U, it may make more financial sense for Nintendo to release their games on those platforms.

When the next generation of home consoles come around (if game consoles are still relevant by then) Nintendo will have several options:

1) Try to compete against MS/Sony/Apple/Google/Honda/whoever directly. The N64 and Gamecube failed at this.
    2) Try a wildcard approach, which was successful for the Wii but not so much for the Wii U.
    3) Drop out of the hardware business and release their games on other platforms.
    4) Devote their resources to fighting off the alien invasion.

ETA:
    That's an odd stance for them to take. I can understand why they want to stay in the home console business, but if things got bad enough that they left it I don't see why they'd turn down the opportunity to still make the games. There'd still be an audience for Mario games. I've never been a much of a Nintendo fan (I was a Sega kid) so I'm not willing to buy a Wii U for a handful of Nintendo exclusives, but if their games were on Xbox/Playstarion I'd be temped to pick them up.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Just thought of something. Maybe this is MS's way of getting people over to play on PCs? Silly, I know, but it definitely seems like MS doesn't want people to play console games anymore. But on the other hand, they haven't exactly made a big push for PC gaming as of late either, so maybe it's just a crazy idea.

As for Nintendo, I can understand it. They have too much pride and the last thing they'd want to see is their franchises on other consoles. It would be too humiliating for them. Sega was able to as they had more of a history with arcade games and coin operated games in general, so it was easier for them to refocus.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  6. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Nope, it's just MS making clear what it's goal always ways. A box in your livingroom that is does everything, so you use them for all your home entertainment, PC and Phone.

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If that's what they were doing, they wouldn't be buying Xbox One exclusives. And they'd be bringing their games to PC.

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

A lot of the Xbox exclusives are PC games too. TitanFall certainly is, and is on Xbox 360 too.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Apple should make a gaming console. :p

10. Owain Taggart

Yeah, good point. And as I said, there hasn't exactly been a huge focus on PC games by MS as of late.

11. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

The iGame. Comes with a free turtleneck and every game requires a new console. :lol:

12. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They did. It's called the Apple Pippin.

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It is the stance of a company at no risk of having to follow it. Nintendo is fine even if the Wii U is a complete bust. At this point they can study the XBO and PS4, figure out their next course and put something out ahead of the next generation with several years to spare.

The mobile market is where they're strongest though, and they should probably focus on it lest phones and tablets draw away too many of their more casual customers. A 'Game Boy Phone' (4-5" slider phone version of the DS perhaps) is probably the best way to do this.

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not upgrading until they come out with a slim version and a price drop for the PS4 in a year or two.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Interesting, and not totally unexpected. There was one intriguing comment from a reader on that site that said:
    This makes a sick kind of sense although, if true, is an extremely risky maneuver.

17. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

No it doesn't make sense.. Gates is an engineer like Wozniak (who actually did the work behind the scenes for Jobs) whereas Jobs is the leading man, the main star who provides the charisma and the (admittedly) cool ideas and who understands the needs of the people before they know it.

Gates doesn't have that, i'm afraid.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

But he does have an ego that rivals that of what Jobs had, though maybe not as mercurial. I'm not saying it would actually work, I'm just thinking that Gates might actually believe it could.

19. Owain Taggart

I think he might be having trouble believing this is even happening. He's always struck me as someone who's able to figure out what works and what doesn't and wasn't so against the consumer as what we're seeing now. Sure, he's made some bad decisions during his career, but nothing on this scale. If anything, if he were still at the helm of the company, I don't think he'd let it happen. He's too much of a technology geek himself.

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the way the internet has reponded to the Xbox One and all its DRM i have to say it's not looking good for MS, i know the Xbox one will still sell in large numbers but it looks like Sony are going to start running when they hit the ground, whereas MS will smash into the floor and spend a large amount of time laid up before going through rehab to learn to stand and walk again.:lol: