Spoilers Destiny: Lost Souls by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by nx1701g, Nov 16, 2008.

?

Grade Lost Souls

1. Excellent

72.3%
  2. Above Average

19.0%
  3. Average

6.7%
  4. Below Average

1.0%
  5. Poor

1.0%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Lost Souls - Discuss/Grade

That's right. Now it's just Starf.

2. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In addition to the answer above, we don't know what shape the Dominion is in 5 years from "now."

And the Jarada are... jerks. I can't see them helping out. They'd attack the Borg if they approached the Hives, but they're so... what was that term in the DS9R? Zeno-disdainful or something? I'm not convinced it'd matter to them who was being attacked, as long as nothing bothered them...

3. Silversmok3

Silversmok3 Commander Red Shirt

40% Casualties?

Holy Crap...that's gonna be a helluva mess to clean up.That's a logistical nightmare,running relief efforts with 40% less ships to work with.

I wonder what bad guy(s) in the next books take advantage of this...

4. SolidusRaccoon

SolidusRaccoon Ensign Red Shirt

Well that was a roler coaster ride. Thanks for the good read.

5. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Quiet, Pinky.

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't finished yet, so it only 60% of Federation worlds survived or 60% of all Starfleet vessels survived?

7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starfleet suffered a loss of 40%. The most conservative estimate for the death toll is about 63 billion combined Federates, Klingons, and Romulans (Star Empire and Imperial State).

From page 420 of Lost Souls:

We know from Book I that all life on Ramatis was exterminated, as was all life on Deneva. Given Bacco's inclusion of them in the first list, I would presume that this means that all life was exterminated in Coridan, Risa, Regulus, and Korvat as well. Presumably, this means that the Coridanite, Risian, and Ramatian species are now critically endangered if not functionally extinct (in spite of their world's Federation membership). No clue whether or not surviving members of those species be repatriated into other Federation Member States or if they'll somehow retain their own Member State status if they resettle. (Will the Federation go from 155 Member States to 149?)

We know from page 416 of Book III that 77 million Klingons died on Qo'noS, so we can probably presume similar death rates for Vulcan, Andor, and Tellar -- probably roughly 60 to 80 million deaths. I would imagine the same to be true of Yridia, Nausicaa, and Barolia.

Did I miss anything? Did anyone ever compile a comprehensive list of Federation Member Worlds that were destroyed? Or of Federation species homeworlds that were destroyed (since we know that Deneva was a Member State but not any one species' homeworld)?

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't it get difficult to justify keeping the senior staff together on ships like the enterprise in a credible manner?

You'd have massive gaps in the organisational chain of command and I can't see how Picard would be able to hang onto people like La Forge.

9. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Acamar, I think. Maybe the Gatherers were better off not coming back.

10. Sci

Well, considering that the only original TNG senior crew left over from the show and films are Picard, Worf, Beverly, and Geordi, I'm not sure how that's a pertinent critique anymore. There's Kadohata, there's Den, there's Choudhury, there's Elfiki, there's Chen.....

11. JoeZhang

Den?

Yes but I cannot see him holding on Worf or La Forge - both would end up with their own postings or ships - with 40% losses, experienced officers would be like gold.

12. Sci

Den is the new senior counselor.

Maybe, maybe not. Worf has the whole "rescued his wife rather than save a Cardassian defector" problem, and Geordi is an engineer, not a command officer.

13. JoeZhang

I doubt it would matter - half the fleet is gone - in such a crisis situation I would guess it would be

Admiral: Congratulations Captain La Forge, you are now in charge of the SCE ship USS bag of spanners

La Forge: But I'm not a command officer!

Admiral: You are now, good luck.

(and Geordi's original training was command right? he was a red shirt?)

14. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure they can come up with some kind of in-universe reason, but we all know that they can't really afford to lose anymore of the originals that are left.

Worf has the black mark on his record, Laforge has stated that he is happy where he is... But you don't always get to choose your postings. I'd like to see this addressed in the future somehow. I imagine that for awhile there won't be enough ships around to even need new Captains. After they start to seriously rebuild Starfleet though it becomes a harder question to answer.

15. JoeZhang

Oh I agree, I don't expect to see any of this happen just spit balling - but even without the ships - I would think that there are plenty of gaps in planet side postings.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I've been away from the BBS for a while, but I just wanted to say to David that the Destiny trilogy was amazing! It was difficult to put any of the books down, and now that I'm finished, I might just start over again.

I loved all of the nods to other Trek lit series (Klag, Gomez, the Excalibur, ect). I know that we'll probably get a fuller account of Voyager's part in Destiny in Full Circle, but I would also love to see fuller accounts of The Excalibur, the da Vinci and the Gorkon's battles.

David, thanks for including Starfleet Academy's Pava so prominently. You had me scared a couple of times, you sure didn't give her an easy time, but am just glad to have had a favorite character included in such an epic story and survive, albiet in critical condition.

I am saddened at the losses of Owen Paris, Charivretha, Tuvok's son, and even T'Lana, but in an event such as this, it is only reasonable that some names that we know be among those lost. An event of this scope would effect everybody and have long-standing reprecussions. I can't wait to find out what they are!

17. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well one possible future did end up with La Forge commanding the Challenger, so it's not much of a stretch for them to push him into a command.

As for Worf, I tend to agree with the "Worf screwed the pooch" camp. If he goes past his current posting, it'll be planet or base side.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  18. Sci

Something just occurred to me:

Life for a Coridanite must suck. First, their world is caught in a civil war between a puppet government of the Vulcans and an Andorian-supported insurgency.

Then, it becomes the victim of a planetary disaster when the Romulans fly a shuttle at warp speeds into Coridan in 2155.

Then it doesn't get to become a Federation Member State until 2266, and almost causes a Federation civil war over it.

And how it's either severely damaged or actively sterilized by the Borg in 2381.

Man, that whole being on contact with other species and being a part of the United Federation of Planets thing just did not work out for those poor guys!

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Acamar and Barolia were both completely annihilated in the first strike, as seen in the epilogue of Greater Than the Sum.

No, Hegol is the new senior counselor. Hegol Den is Bajoran, so he's addressed as Counselor Hegol.

20. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

To be fair to Worf, I do think that in light of the 40% loss of the fleet, his experience as ambassador to Quo'nos, and almost-certain glowing recommendations from Picard, Sisko, and Martok, the Admiralty would overlook that black mark.