Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris_Johnston, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

41.4%
  2. Above Average

36.2%
  3. Average

10.3%
  4. Below Average

10.3%
  5. Poor

1.7%
  1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I act a lot younger than I am.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

OK. I had thought you were post school age, post college.
    Heck don't we all act younger than we are at times. Maybe here of all places?

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I get riled up about Batman of all things. That should tell you enough about my sense of maturity. ;)

4. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it really didn't. There was almost a story there about Red growing up, but really it was just about Liz thinking he wasn't ready when there was nothing in the story that demonstrated he actually wasn't ready. Abe falling in love, likewise. There were plot points, but no actual development. No one changed. Besides all that there were three different Little Bads (the troll thingy with the arm, the elemental and the Golden Army soldiers) who all show up and do nothing but smash things and roar inarticulately. I've already seen the Incredible Hulk this summer...

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm going to grade this one an excellent. I've never seen the first film (although I've been searching stores endlessly for the director's cut after seeing The Golden Army), but the world was so fantastic, bizarre, funny, and tragic... Del Toro has a style unlike anything else that's on the screen these days. I'm immensely looking forward to The Dark Knight, but Hellboy II might run away with the distinction of being my favorite comic book adaptation of the summer. :techman:

6. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    I'd say it was excellent. I enjoyed it and there wasn't really a part that made me groan. That alone is excellent. Nomak(the elf guy) was pretty cool being almost(maybe more) flippy than Darth Maul or a Ninja. I guessed the ending really early, but I've seen so many movies and tv shows that I don't fault it too much for that. I really liked the German ghost guy and I haven't heard the word Schwannstucker since Young Frankenstein.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hellboy 2 edged out Hancock on its second week this past weekend at $34m dollars compared to its $85m + marketing budget. No foreign boxoffice, it seems.

A respectable enough opening, I suppose, I hope it continues to do well and the foreign box-office helps it out some. I'd sure like to see a Hellboy 3.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Gotta go with excellent on this one. The movie is just plain fun from start to finish, and is an absolute visual feast. The Troll Market sequence is fantastic. It's one of the most amazing and original looking settings in a movie in a long time. Everything about that film is just so much fun to watch. i enjoyed it even more than the first, which is saying something since I also enjoyed the first a whole lot.

9. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

I really liked the hell out of it. Tons of fun, had a smile on my face the whole time.

Favorite part: The Angel of Death. Such incredible art direction, costume direction, and all around direction there. That was an amazing scene.

A-

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

It made good money, reviews from critics and audiences alike are possitive, so there's a good chance for a part 3.

11. exodus

Sounds like every comic book I've ever read in the last 30 years, honestly.

I don't consider that to be a bad thing from a comic based film named: "Hellboy" to begin with.

12. Captain Craig

The down side is that IF if gets part 3, which I hope it does, AND the studio wants to wait on Del Torro to finish his dual Hobbit films it will be about 5-6 years before HB:3 comes to us. So we are looking at 2013 or 2014. :(

Now they could get another director but really I'd rather wait for Del Torro than get a Ratner like fill in for part three.

13. exodus

It depends also if Del Toro is doing the Hobbit films straight thru or seperate filming schedules. He could easily do the Hobbit if he films straight thru and starts Hellboy 3 while the Hobbit is working on the visual effects.

Wasn't Jackson long done with LOTR by the time Two Towers hit theaters?

Also look how long it took Hellboy 2 to hit production after Hellboy 1.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's important to note that time isn't all on our side considering Ron Perlman isn't getting any younger. His already in his mid-50s. He may not be "up" to playing Hellboy in 5-6 years.

15. Captain Craig

Five years is straight from Del Torro in an interview. Unless he said the shooting of HB:3 was relocated to him. I guess he has time but he will be in New Zealand overseeing so much with editing and Weta's F/X he will have to be in NZ for that whole time. So the only way to get ahead of that 5 years it seems, at current, to move any possible HB:3 shoot to him.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Watched the first one a few weeks ago to prepare for this new one. Thought it was boring as hell, and the story, if you can call it that, was a giant mess.

Just got back from the theater after seeing the new one, and I think, while slightly better than the first, it was still incredibly mediocre. Everything looked amazing, but the story was just so uninspired and poorly paced.

And for fuck's sake, what is Hellboy's real name? They said it in both movies as if it were some huge reveal that we're supposed to recognize, but I still don't have a clue what they even said. IMO, they're focusing on these random bad guys and big fights with random monsters when they SHOULD be focusing more on Hellboy's character and his destiny.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Hellboy's real name is Anung un Rama.

18. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    The name has something to do with his burning crown on his head(the one you can't normally see).

19. exodus

We shall see, I guess.

However, I would assume part 3 may have something to do with what the Angel of Death told Liz in the film about Hellboy's destiny to bring about the end of mankind.

20. Captain Craig

^^^^
    I'm thinking along those lines as well. That most of what the Angel of Death told Liz would serve as the baseline template for an HB:3. Hellboys destiny and her choosing to save him tied with some personal loss(HB, her kids, both?) should be where an HB:3 is going.