IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The full-page ad on the inside back cover of "Star Trek Annual: Strange New Worlds" previews the upcoming story as "The Mirror, Cracked".

2. Therin of Andor

Why?

I was just notified that my copy of #28 arrives in Sydney on Thursday.

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm, I was at my comic shop yesterday and they didn't have anything for me, but I had the annual preordered. I'll have to check back in the new year.

4. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Comiclist has an updated schedule with Star Trek #28 now arriving this Wednesday in the US.

5. Therin of Andor

Which is Thursday for Australasians with time-traveling capabilities. :techman:

6. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Cool. So it will be coming out today in the UK.

7. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've really enjoyed the latest 4-issue arc. Some nice plot twists in there. I hope we see a few more of them.

8. Kchunda

Kchunda Commander Red Shirt

Just read 28... Wow. Well done. And I actually had the TOS end credits playing in my head at the end ;)

9. Therin of Andor

Yep. Quite satisfying. Some will say events were predictable, but I didn't see one twist coming until I saw it speculated here.

10. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished the last Khitomer Conflict issue yesterday. I was pleased with the ending. I think it's my favorite arc so far in the new Trek books. Some of them have great beginnings and then the endings are fumbled or are less than satisfying. I thought the Khitomer Conflict was wrapped up pretty well.

11. Pauln6

The 4-issue format makes such a difference IMO. The first issue of the Vulcan's Fury story was really intriguing. It could have been really awesome if the story had been played out over two additional issues.

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I agree. The Vulcan story was such a let down.

13. Pauln6

I think I'll go to the IDW forums and leave some good feedback.

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I was rather disappointed with this arc. "The Khitomer Conflict" didn't feel like TOS at all. Kirk has no agency in the story and the plot rather resolves itself rather than Kirk taking action to resolve it. The end is resolved by the intervention of Section 31. Kirk does nothing clever and reacts more than acts in the story. And the reveal of Sulu's sister wasn't really a twist. You could see it coming a parsec away.

15. Pauln6

It's true that Kirk was swept along by events. I'm hoping they'll build on it. Fool me once, shame on you sort of thing so that the next encounter will be a more even duel.

The notion that Kirk or Spock always have to save the day (or Scotty if it's a ship problem) is one of the things that dates TOS. However, I also don't like it when they have to 'force' characters to save the day e.g. Chekov is suddenly a transporter whiz and has to run all the way from the bridge to perform a task that really should be within the capabilities of any trained officer etc.

I do prefer it when a character is allowed to perform well in their chosen field instead of gifting that to someone else e.g. Spock carrying out code-breaking and communications repairs in TOS; Chapel assisting instead of leading bio-research etc. I suppose I also have to concede that if the characters never do anything outside that field they'll stagnate.

I hope the comic can maintain a better balance overall.

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Having Kirk or Spock resolve the main problem doesn't date TOS — it's good storytelling, plain and simple. You want the lead character to resolve the story's problem, take action. Or in an ensemble, you want to person who is the focus of the story resolve the problem and take action. For example, HILL STREET BLUES. You want a character, say Furillo, to resolve the problem in his particular storyline while you'd want Detective Belker to resolve the one in his.

There was potential to have two storylines with Kirk and Sulu, where Kirk takes action on the overall plot of the Klingon conflict while Sulu has to resolve the subplot of his sister's loyalty. But neither Kirk nor Sulu act, they react from beginning to end. Honestly, in retrospect, this arc feels more like a TNG episode than a TOS one.

17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i'm kinda interested in seeing how the upcoming: Parallel Lives arc plays out. I mean the Enterprise crew meeting a gender-swap version of themselves would probably be interesting and weird at the same time.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I get the impression they won't be meeting their duplicates a la that Red Dwarf episode, but it'll just be another "Here's a parallel reality story" thing like their Mirror Universe 2-parter.

19. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Pictures of Lieutenant Uhuro reminded me of Sisko from "Trials and Tribble-ations".

I wonder what female Spock's name could be. The whole concept reminds me of Kate Fenton's "Lions and Liquorice".

James Kirk usually addressed male officers with Mr and Uhura as lieutenant. I wonder whether Jane calls her senior officers Ms and Mrs.

I'm excited for these two issues.

20. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

here's a preview http://www.startrek.com/article/captain-jane-tiberia-kirk-takes-command

female Spock is really pretty :D