Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is a very nice touch, but I think the best CGI so far that is new to the set has to be the planets, and especially the completely unexpected city lights on VUlcan. That was WOW! But to be fair I have loved every recreated planet Max has done. Simply superb work.

What they need to do in at least one shot somewhere is add people to the ship shots. I mean the one wonderful thing about something like ENTerprise which was all CGI, is that they were able to get a real sense of wonder that is really lacking in the other shows. Things like seeing people starring in wonder out into the void,a t planets, comets, ect, and having the outside shots reflect that people actually look outside (DS9 did it for its final shot, Voyager had a couple), people should be doing it much more often, especially new crew, visitors, children on the ship, ect..

Probably wont happen on TNG thats for sure. As much as I love models, there is a significant limit to how close you can come in, especially one a tv budget and time table.

I dread, dread the shot were Q takes Amanda out on the hull. On Video its hideous. And certainly the model isn't up for that close up to show real quality. One of the few model based fx shots that I hope is lost. For all the weaknesses of weekly tv CGI, I would much rather see work like ENT had on minefield when shown walking on the hull.

2. mswood

Amazon just dropped its season three price. I think its at $59.99.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ordered. It will be mine!

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now they drop the price. Still think I get more benefit from the Gift Cards for the future seasons if I go for Targets deal. Besides, Best of Both Worlds blu ray for what ends up being 5 dollars isn't too bad.

5. mswood

Was planning on waiting due to unexpected bills, but that Target deal is just beautiful. Will get both for still cheaper then any season set of Trek that I have ever purchased.

I love that with Amazon I don't have to actually shop....

Anyone know when Target normally releases their films. Are they out as soon as they opening, or is it one of those that will have crew putting out the Supply sometime during the business day on Tuesday (I HATE that).

6. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Postie's just delivered my copies! Yay!

Apologies, as I'm sure this has probably been asked already, but....

On the back of the BOBW set it says that 3 seconds of footage has been upconverted from SD videotape in Part 1 - just out of interest, anyone know which scene this is?

7. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Yes I saw that! Excellent ! :)

There is another bit of CGI in the episode though

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It was during Part II when Riker faces off with Locutus while on the battle bridge. Here you go.

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Ah, thanks for that.

I was wondering why it's on the packaging for the BOBW standalone, but no mention at all on the back of the Season 3 set. Mystery solved.

It's a shame that it couldn't be found, but 3 seconds is 3 seconds. I'll just blink and then it will be gone! :lol:

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think I will go to Best Buy tomorrow and see if they will price match as I would really like to get the exclusive VAM. If they won't then I'll head over to Target.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah that effect does look pretty bad now, but I think CBS-D could still make it work. If you throw in enough shadow and really darken it up a lot, I think the shot could actually look really cool.

12. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I bought the TNG Sampler from Target and hardly any of them had it (had sold out fast) Ended up driving 30 minutes away to find one that did.

I think if you check the website and the location the inventory is correct. If they say they have ....they do.

13. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Just home from work and mine was delivered from Amazon this morning. Now if only the wife would hurry up and get home so we can start watching. :)

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've got a bunch of Targets in my area, but they never seem to carry many copies of anything and always run out real quick.

So I think I'll probably just stick with Best Buy.

15. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

To those who ordered from Amazon- be sure to check what you were charged. My order was charged and shipped today but they charged me $77.99 instead of the $59.99 listed on their website. I have pre-ordered with Amazon many times before and never had this issue. I have emailed them about it.

edit:
    Update: They responded quickly and say they are going to send me a refund of the difference.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  16. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I'll be at Target when they open tuesday :cool:

17. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ordered! Can't wait to see some classic episodes in HD.

18. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I think this is a perfect shot for using the CG model. Someone must have misplaced the model shot. (I stole it)

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

To those thinking about getting the set at Target, you might want to get there early. I'm finding that Target these days really sell out fast on popular Blu-Ray titles.

I think the S3 set will be gone fast because it looks like nearly all fans will be taking advantage of the Buy S3 and BOBW deal.

20. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm very excited about this release. This is where the show got really good in my opinion.