What if Garrett Wang had left Voyager instead of Jennifer Lien?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ro_Laren, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There should have been a story where he had to be "female" one week to solve a case or adventure... Like Quark did that time after hours of surgery.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

"more fluid" yes, :lol:

It took me several rewatches not to dislike the Odo/Kira relationship.. though I still don't quite get what she gets out of it personality wise. If you took Odo's personality and transplanted it into a regular Bajoran would Kira be attracted to him? Yes her Bajroran men were dull but even so..

3. Guy Gardener

He did spend half a season as solid, where he did have sex with a guest actress, but that was years before Kira found out that he was into her.

4. teacake

True. It showed how arrogant the founders were to do that to him, not thinking it would make him even more sympathetic to solids. I wish they had shown more of his learning curve, stuff like getting dirty and having to deal with taking a dump (okay they wouldn't show that..) but just body maintenance and care would have been a shock to him.

5. Guy Gardener

There was a line on Saturday night live last week... "He can cut a 12 dollar steak in half with with his urine stream."

I would have loved to have seen him drunk.

6. teacake

Drunk and disorderly at Quark's! Passed out in the midst of debauchery! Hangover, snickers on the promenade the next day! Quark's utter glee.

7. Guy Gardener

Give him hick-ups for a week.

Or at least play with some hair styles?

His hair is like his Bajoran pappys?

But as a changeling he kept it becuase it was easy to kept that shape during stressful adventures.

Although I can't see him like hair at all.

Maybe he might have removed it all if proved too much for him?

8. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Babylon 5 did something similar, when Delenn went thru a transformation, they touched on her having trouble adjusting to a new physiology, including not knowing how to take care of human hair. They also had her asking about the cramps she was having before they cut scene.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If shapeshifters did not produce fully functioning internal organs of whatever they were shifted to, it should be easier to detect them. No crazy blood tests, just a tricorder scan. Just sayin. If it's hard to detect humans apart from shapeshifters posing as humans, shapeshifters have human internal organs.

10. teacake

Oh yes in the lift!

11. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't find it as much about love and sex as it was about both of them being lonely. He couldn't go home and her soul mate was dead. They were both close friends that sought sexual comfort in each other to ease the pain they both felt.

There was a whole story about how Odo mimic's the scientist that he spent the most time with.
    Odo's sexuality is undefined.
    If anything on DS9, between Dax & Odo they showed sexuality and gender identity can be a broad spectrum.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  12. Guy Gardener

In the beginning Odo is a terrible shapeshifter, either becuase he's young or he's not that well educated from being denied the link, but pre-link I doubt Odo tried to make internal organs when he couldn't even do a "nose" right.

13. Guy Gardener

Could they make a communal pocket with Zippers that during coitus, Husband and wife share the symbiont, as the sexual acts and sensations inflicted on each other become an echochamber of touch.

14. Ender9

Ender9 Ensign Newbie

I don't think anyone should have left, but if Garrett Wang had left Voyager, it's likely, in my opinion, that they'd have still brought in Seven of Nine.

15. Guy Gardener

Garret was prefired between seasons after Jeri joined the cast.

Because of real world events Garrets prefire was reversed and Jennifer was completely fired to save his job.

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It never ceases to amaze me, how Kes, has so many vocal haters in TREK fandom. Jennifer was so beautiful and acted so sweet ... other than her moronic lifespan, what's not to love? And for that, they put Jennifer out of a job.

Why can't I ever meet really sweet women like that who aren't overweight? Is it even possible, I ask you. I need a girl who's completely True ...

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually thought it was sad that they chickened out on the short lifespan. Kes should have died of old age in later seasons, simple as that.

18. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Had "they" let Kes die off, at 3 (like they were "supposed" to), then replacing her with Seven of Nine would've seemed a little less crass than it actually came across.

19. Xzpezer

Xzpezer Lieutenant Red Shirt

That would have been good harry Kim sucks.

20. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like we are in the same situation.

As for Kes, I don't think there are so many haters. The haters just happen to be very active. I used to post on another forum once where there were 3-4 people who hated the character and thy were spamming the forum with mean comments. But they weren't so many.

JarodRussell wrote:
    I'm actually happy that they didn't kill off the character. The 9 year lifespan was a mistake which didn't lead to anything.

Not to mention that Star Trek is about exploring and adventures, not something like The Bold and The Beautiful or any of those countless hospital series or doom and gloom series which are shoved upon us in these days, Those who want soapy melodramatics have a lot to chhose among.

Or be bored to death by Stargate Universe!

2takesfrakes wrote:
    Well, anything would have been better than "Fury" but I'm still happy that they didn't kill off the character. That opens up possibilities to come up with future stories about her.